the crossfader in the middle at all times
and use the vertical faders to mix in the
next track. I think doing it that way allows
more control. What do you guys think?

yeah i do the same, crossfader in the middle and vertical faders to mix

only time i use the crossfader is to do little tricks with the songs

fac
20-12-2006, 08:46 PM
i do it the same most of the time. but sometimes the crossfader is also very useful.

dan the acid man
20-12-2006, 08:46 PM
i use a combination of both, stops me from getting bored and mixing it up a bit

Tiptoe
20-12-2006, 08:49 PM
hate mixing from middle and up and down. played in someplaces recently where i have had to mix like this due to mixer not having crossfader just channels up and down and how mixers have been set up. I like mixing from left to right with the channels used for cutting it up.

MangaFish
20-12-2006, 10:10 PM
I used to use the x fader but stopped when i started to teach myself to 3 deck mix. much prefer the channel faders these days

eyeswithoutaface
20-12-2006, 10:21 PM
different mixes require different techniques. A cross fader is essential for any trickery a dj might want to unleash as it were, but some tracks just scream out for that lovely smooth mix that only good use of the level faders will bring

synikal waste
20-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Mix of both ........crossfader to balance across the two channels ......... channel faders to chop overlays....... crossfader to chopout completely .......... kill switches .........

Its a kind of finger popping style to borrow a hip hop term

MARK ANXIOUS
21-12-2006, 12:49 AM
Mix of both ........crossfader to balance across the two channels ......... channel faders to chop overlays....... crossfader to chopout completely .......... kill switches .........

Its a kind of finger popping style to borrow a hip hop term

i agree completely. a mix of both works lovely...

crime
21-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Do you prefer using the steering wheel or the gear stick when you drive? and do you prefer using the accelerator or the brakes?

TechMouse
21-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Do you prefer using the steering wheel or the gear stick when you drive? and do you prefer using the accelerator or the brakes?
Steering wheel and accelerator are much more fun than gear stick and brake, IMHO.

BloodStar
21-12-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm just curious as to how many people use
the crossfader to mix. I personally position

Same here. I am mainly using faders. x fader just now and then for some little tricks, but i am mainly using vertical faders..

Fusion
21-12-2006, 01:20 PM
anyone like using or still have a dial mixer like urei or bozak?

i have 2 bozak's and i would never trade them in ...

davethedrummer
21-12-2006, 02:15 PM
both

Ritzi Lee
21-12-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm using it all baby!

dirty_bass
21-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Diagonal crossfaders with a half nelson twist at the top are the best.

robin m
21-12-2006, 06:32 PM
I don't think I've ever owned a mixer without a f*cked crossfader tbh so it's channels all the way for me :doh:

v0ins
21-12-2006, 07:46 PM

I take it both are necesary ^_^

RDR
24-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Diagonal crossfaders with a half nelson twist at the top are the best.

Submit! I SUBMIT!

RDR
24-12-2006, 07:44 AM
I use them all!

Like someone said... you gotta use all the controls.

But like someone else said, crossfaders do Fk up constantly.

What pisses me off more than anything is pots that fuk up. but then there are VERY few mixers on the market that are of good enough quality to take the hammering i dish out.

Just ask aratron.

rotten
24-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Steering wheel and accelerator are much more fun than gear stick and brake, IMHO.

agree! ;)

fils_here
24-12-2006, 04:21 PM
mainly use the vertical faders especially for cutting

djshiva
24-12-2006, 07:04 PM
both.

katya
27-12-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm just curious as to how many people use
the crossfader to mix. I personally position

vertical for sure, I'm with you on the control aspect

romelpotter
27-12-2006, 06:16 PM
both, however i will mainly use the cross fader to fade in a second tune leaving the virticle fader just a little off the maximum so that once its time to let the tune your mixing roll by it self, i have a little boost to the volume of the track available if necessairy! if using 3 decks then i will just use the virt faders.

judas_beast
28-12-2006, 01:39 AM

I don't drive.

vadarfone
28-12-2006, 04:44 PM
"Do you prefer using the steering wheel or the gear stick when you drive? and do you prefer using the accelerator or the brakes?"

That analogy doesn't work.

A Steering wheel control the direction of the vehicle, the gear stick controls the gearing. The accelerator and brakes are mirror opposites.

They all control different tasks.

The Cross Fader and Level Faders all do essentially the same task; attenuating dB level of an input.

Thought thee were right clever, didnt tha?

Do one!!

:)

judas_beast
28-12-2006, 05:00 PM
"Do you prefer using the steering wheel or the gear stick when you drive? and do you prefer using the accelerator or the brakes?"

A Steering wheel control the direction of the vehicle, the gear stick controls the gearing. The accelerator and brakes are mirror opposites.

The Cross Fader and Level Faders all do essentially the same task; attenuating dB level of an input.

Do one!!

Shouldn't that be 'reet clever'? :P

vadarfone
28-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Phonetically it would be something like...

'Rate' or 'Rairt'

My mate is over in Japan with me now. He is from Woodseats in Sheffield. I forgot how strong his accent was.

I am loving it though. Its always amusing when the Americans meet the real deal and have to re-assess their ideas of what they think their ancestry to be in terms of character.

He is going to get deported soon no doubt.

dan the acid man
28-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Phonetically it would be something like...

'Rate' or 'Rairt'

My mate is over in Japan with me now. He is from Woodseats in Sheffield. I forgot how strong his accent was.

I am loving it though. Its always amusing when the Americans meet the real deal and have to re-assess their ideas of what they think their ancestry to be in terms of character.

He is going to get deported soon no doubt.

hahaha:laughing: :laughing:

synikal waste
29-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Using a mixer is not unlike making love to a beautiful woman, you have to tweak all the right knobs and slide your fader up just far enough to get the best out of her, and remeber finger technique is everything.

robin m
29-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Using a mixer is not unlike making love to a beautiful woman, you have to tweak all the right knobs and slide your fader up just far enough to get the best out of her, and remeber finger technique is everything.

:laughing:

And inevitably it breaks down when you get carried away and you have to spend the next half-hour sorting it out while everyone else in the room stands around looking bored... I like the analogy :)

crime
30-12-2006, 08:30 AM

Do one!!

god you need to get out and get a life....

basslinejunkie
30-12-2006, 04:46 PM
and you need to cheer up.

dan the acid man
30-12-2006, 06:24 PM
haha:laughing:

Buttman
30-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Crossfade is OK for cutting, but not for mixing.

Especially since it is between 2 channels only.

Well that is my opinion atleast.

anx
01-01-2007, 03:46 AM
my whole style of mixing is based on the vertical mixers, however the cross fader can come in handy, but definatly is the secondary fader.

i played a gig and they had a rotary mixer set up.

i dont understand what the deal is with those. you can do the exact same thing with regular vertical faders on a regular mixer, but with the rotary, you are limited to just fading your mixes.

i was so choked playin on that mixer

278d7e64a374de26f==