PDA

View Full Version : Voidloss - A place of dying - Dark odd thing

dirty_bass
21-12-2006, 01:26 PM
My first mixdown in the new studio, I haven`t acoustically treated the room yet, so I`m not sure about my mixes right now, so let me know if I`ve done a wrongun.

Voidloss A place of dying (http://iterativemusic.com/~dirtybass/Voidloss%20-%20A%20place%20of%20dying.mp3)

BloodStar
21-12-2006, 01:29 PM
link is not working. :(

dirty_bass
21-12-2006, 01:38 PM
link works now

BloodStar
21-12-2006, 02:51 PM
nice dark moody track. i am liking the intro and then as the tracks goes, all the atmo sounds here and there are nice. also percs are groovin there nicely + i like those little groovin snips, spreading nicely to the stereo..cool.bass is massive, as always,.but sounds bit too loud or unpleasing in low mid region.but here i can be wrong as i am on shitty headphones, now..will check later on speakers..

stjohn
21-12-2006, 04:08 PM
great sounds man.everything seems to be there alright altho the tighteness of the track is about 99% there.. theres one partular thing not sitting right. im hearing 2 subby things.... one that waves on every 2 nd kick, then one that wobbles. the woblle might actually be more mid, i cant tell 100% but somewhere along the mix its not sitting right. IMO

of course this could be intentional to add a weirder dimension to the rhythm so it could be just a level issue then.

another thing i could here... was the top kick low kick relationship was looser.. but again this is subjective as not all techno tracks (need to) have this monster subby bassdrum and tbh the wavey sub does the low end job perfectly.

anyways, i rellay like the vibe, especially when it picks up at the end, the above were me being ultra critical, just in case it was something to do with the room. look forward to the finshed version, Voidloss is doing the business these days....

whoever they are:dance:

dirty_bass
21-12-2006, 06:57 PM
great sounds man.everything seems to be there alright altho the tighteness of the track is about 99% there.. theres one partular thing not sitting right. im hearing 2 subby things.... one that waves on every 2 nd kick, then one that wobbles. the woblle might actually be more mid, i cant tell 100% but somewhere along the mix its not sitting right. IMO

of course this could be intentional to add a weirder dimension to the rhythm so it could be just a level issue then.

another thing i could here... was the top kick low kick relationship was looser.. but again this is subjective as not all techno tracks (need to) have this monster subby bassdrum and tbh the wavey sub does the low end job perfectly.

anyways, i rellay like the vibe, especially when it picks up at the end, the above were me being ultra critical, just in case it was something to do with the room. look forward to the finshed version, Voidloss is doing the business these days....

whoever they are:dance:

Well the kick is intentionally "lite" as I wanted something more akin to a genuine kick drum from a kit, so I used a slightly supported 808.

There is a weird wobbly almost kicky sound in the high bass area that kinda throws the rythm around a bit, again, it is as you pointed, I added it for a bit of nuttiness to the rhythm, however, I`m not comfortable with the bottom end sound in this new studio, so it could be overpowering the kick.

Or is it just too weird?

I`ll have a look at tightening that section up a bit.

cheers mate, you got good ears;)

BRADLEE
21-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Well the kick is intentionally "lite" as I wanted something more akin to a genuine kick drum from a kit, so I used a slightly supported 808.

There is a weird wobbly almost kicky sound in the high bass area that kinda throws the rythm around a bit, again, it is as you pointed, I added it for a bit of nuttiness to the rhythm, however, I`m not comfortable with the bottom end sound in this new studio, so it could be overpowering the kick.

Or is it just too weird?

I`ll have a look at tightening that section up a bit.

cheers mate, you got good ears;)

I hear that slightly but I'm only in the headphones. So it's hard for me to tell. I don't think anything is overpowering the kick though. Not that I can hear.

Really liked all of the elements over all, especially those odd hats that sort of circle around in the mix....Think it's a hat with some fx anyways. ha ha

To me all sounds clean.

loopdon
21-12-2006, 07:41 PM
nice and amtmospheric. massive bass. maybe to massive but i know that's the way you like it. so that's a matter of taste, clearly. but there is something that is a little weird, imo. i reckon that's the extra kick or sth. that comes in every second bar or sth, dunno. it makes it sound a little bit like two records are trainwrecking. this is probably the 'nutty' section :) 1:13 about would be an example. sounds a little alien in the track, i think. it just sounds a little displaced to me but i think it would with mebbe some extra eqing, i dunno. at first i thought there was an lfo running on the sample-startpoints kinda knocking it off a strictly quantized groove from time to time. maybe take the volume down on that clashing 808 kick or whatever it is or add a more distinct attack to that sound or replace by a different sound playing the same pattern.

i think the ending is a little abrupt?

i wouldn't mind some vocals in there at times but maybe not your trademark pitched down ones telling a story (sorry :) ) something more whispered with filred echoes???

shit, this probaly won't help at all. sorry.

i just noticed media player isn't reporting the track length completely so... my 1:13 comment could be absolutely useless.

it is a work of art, though and it is growing on me.

loopdon
21-12-2006, 07:47 PM
second post because i couldn't properly edit my first one:

nice and amtmospheric. massive bass. maybe to massive but i know that's the way you like it. so that's a matter of taste, clearly. but there is something that is a little weird, imo. i reckon that's the extra kick or sth. that comes in every second bar or sth, dunno. it makes it sound a little bit like two records are trainwrecking. this is probably the 'nutty' section :) 1:13 about would be an example. sounds a little alien in the track, i think. it just sounds a little displaced to me but i think it would with mebbe some extra eqing, i dunno. at first i thought there was an lfo running on the sample-startpoints kinda knocking it off a strictly quantized groove from time to time. maybe take the volume down on that clashing 808 kick or whatever it is or add a more distinct attack to that sound or replace by a different sound playing the same pattern.

there is a lead kinda sound in there (a metallic one) which could be a little louder for my tastes. because it is good. love the way you drop in sounds in a organic way. keeps it moving.

i wouldn't mind some vocals in there at times but maybe not your trademark pitched down ones telling a story (sorry :) ) something more whispered with filred echoes??

i just noticed media player isn't reporting the track length completely so... my 1:13 comment could be absolutely useless.

it is a work of art, though and it is growing on me. must have been a lot of work i think as i listen again and again, full of little details. wow. nice heartbeat like subby sound (the bassline, hehe)

dirty_bass
21-12-2006, 11:36 PM
second post because i couldn't properly edit my first one:

there is a lead kinda sound in there (a metallic one) which could be a little louder for my tastes. because it is good. love the way you drop in sounds in a organic way. keeps it moving.

i wouldn't mind some vocals in there at times but maybe not your trademark pitched down ones telling a story (sorry :) ) something more whispered with filred echoes??

it is a work of art, though and it is growing on me. must have been a lot of work i think as i listen again and again, full of little details. wow. nice heartbeat like subby sound (the bassline, hehe)

It`s all helpful mate, as I said, the room acoustics are a bit weird, so I really am not too sure where I stand yet.

I`m starting to thing all that buffer chaos behind the main kick might have been maybe too radical, it sounds fine when cranked, but it does have moments of trainwreck that are a little too far off the beat.
I`ll tame it I think.

Is the bass too big?
I mean, obviously I like a full bottom (fnar fnar) but is it overpowering?
If I even move a foot from the sweet spot in the monitor field the bass goes all wacky.

And yeah, your right about the vocals, I want some too, but only sparsely used.
I`ve got some good shit to use for that, so this isn`t a final version by any respect.

cheers shilly beers!!

stjohn
22-12-2006, 03:31 AM
the bass is spot on... full and present

Mindful
22-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Love it bigman, I need to listen at home but for now that sounds wicked.
Proper techno, a little bit tribal(but not)love the main groove and the way the atmospheres and energy builds is very clever.
I will listen tommorow again and leave better feedback.

audioinjection
26-12-2006, 05:13 PM
phat stuff steve! im really diggin this!

SWANNER
27-12-2006, 12:22 AM
nice groove this mate.liking the percussion u got going.sounds cool to me.

Mindful
05-01-2007, 12:42 PM
I realy dig this track, the percussion and bass realy set the mood
(love the groove)The hats in the stereo feild are very cool.
I like this huge bass end, maybe the kick suffers a little from it compared
to your usual tight as **** kick drums but I like it as it is myself, it
helps the rest of the groove I feel this way.
The way the tracks vibe builds is class, reminds me a little of how I
like to build energy myself maybe(and possibly why im feeling it so much)
For you its a little bit tooly (no offence meant)but I know this would work
so well at the right place in a set.

278d7e64a374de26f==