PDA

View Full Version : Beckham to US league

SlavikSvensk
11-01-2007, 05:18 PM
aka international football's glitziest ghetto.

seriously though, i hope this will help our league grow in popularity, though i can't see this as good for his football career. maybe he just wants to focus on marketing himself as a brand?

prozac
11-01-2007, 05:21 PM
I bet the missus wants a job in the states
maybe she can appear talented over there

Esox Lucius
11-01-2007, 05:27 PM
maybe he just wants to focus on marketing himself as a brand?

that's it mate, he's all about the glitz & glammer and wants to be big in the states. god help you if his missus tries to revive her singing career over there lol.

prozac
11-01-2007, 05:28 PM
£128 million over 5 years
"I dont want people to think im going for one last pay day"
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

basslinejunkie
11-01-2007, 05:39 PM
he seems to think people are as dumb as he is.

SlavikSvensk
11-01-2007, 05:40 PM
ha yeah that's it then. the MLS had to restructure it's pay system to allow for beckham to come here. i guess they think it will put them over the top. problem is, he came to a club that's ALREADY popular. LA is the only city to have 2 football clubs, and both are successful. it would have been better for US soccer to send him to new york or something.

but yeah, guess he wants to live the hollywood life. i live 10 min from hollywood...it's actually pretty low key. maybe i'll run into him. i'll tell him he's vastly overrated, aside from in set pieces :laughing:

french_og
11-01-2007, 06:20 PM
They will probably make that money back twice over in the first year with Merchandise sales.

Fair play to him though £128,000,000 over 5 years....

We can safely say though now that it is defo the end of his England career playing in the USA,

Insomnia
11-01-2007, 06:30 PM
It's very sad these days when it all comes down to money, it should be about wearing the jersey! He makes me laugh on the news saying i hope people dont think it's about the money, i mean doh!
Plus his Mrs is a half wit an all she cant sing worth a monkey iv'e never liked her the stupid cow!! :grr:

french_og
11-01-2007, 06:45 PM
But he did always say that he never wanted to play for any other clubs than Man Utd and Real Madrid so it does seem like a good challenge for him to go there, hey i would love to live in LA. He is still young and has a great opportuntity.

Insomnia
11-01-2007, 07:00 PM
True mate cant argue with that att all, i just feel he has plenty to offer in England still and think at the end of the day he would play for someone else than Man u, just hope the money side of things hasn't taken over as it's greedy..

SlavikSvensk
11-01-2007, 08:44 PM
LA is nice indeed. but i figured he would play a couple more years in england before ending up here...i guess the money was too good to pass up

SlavikSvensk
11-01-2007, 08:46 PM
i think the point for US soccer is that right now soccer is the #1 most played sport in america but it's like the #8 most watched sport after

american football
baseball
basketball
golf
racing
hockey
tennis

only reason for that is that the league is so mediocre. guess they think luring beckham and (hopefully) a few other stars could change that.

dan the acid man
11-01-2007, 09:02 PM
But he did always say that he never wanted to play for any other clubs than Man Utd and Real Madrid so it does seem like a good challenge for him to go there, hey i would love to live in LA. He is still young and has a great opportuntity.

haha, but he's still playing for another club:laughing:

it's the money, plain and simple.

basslinejunkie
11-01-2007, 09:46 PM
fair doo's to him tho,would you turn down 125mill for playing football?? would you bollox!! :)

Ashley
11-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Beckham is a twat :cheese:

dan the acid man
11-01-2007, 11:38 PM
fair doo's to him tho,would you turn down 125mill for playing football?? would you bollox!! :)

i would if it was going to hinder my career, i'd rather get paid less and be playing in the leagues i want.

but, maybe he realises his times up now

SlavikSvensk
11-01-2007, 11:50 PM
i would if it was going to hinder my career, i'd rather get paid less and be playing in the leagues i want.

but, maybe he realises his times up now

i think his choice came down to:

a) play two years at tottenham, then maybe ca$h in on US market if still marketable

b) go for the ca$h now

Will
12-01-2007, 12:41 AM
So the choice was obvious then! It was obvious he'd be heading off to America soon, he was always talking about ending his career there. He wants to raise his profile in a new and lucrative market, ready for when he retires from football. America likes winners, so he joins a successful team and then he'll live off adverts and try and work out what else he can do with his high profile...

Plus there's his wife too, who's also trying to reinvent herself as something marketable again... I suppose going to america now gives him more time to raise his profile there...

Will
12-01-2007, 12:47 AM
They'll both be like Paris Hilton when he retires, no doubt do an Osbournes styledocumentary and do any old rubbish to stay famous and keep the money coming in. I imagine there'll be aftershave, maybe turn to singing! Autobiography, maybe a grill or some such, tv work...

french_og
12-01-2007, 02:11 AM
Give him a break ffs....

SlavikSvensk
12-01-2007, 02:14 AM
They'll both be like Paris Hilton when he retires, .

urge to use photoshop for evil rising...

Richierush
12-01-2007, 02:15 AM
he must feel as if football hasnt got much to offer him any more,cause if he wanted the limelight an maybe a place back in the england squad he would have to come back to england for sure,he probably feels that he is coming to the end of his career cause i have a feeling the standard of foootbal isnt all that gud over there(guessing ive never actually watched any)which is actually suited to beckham cause he really isnt that good.Personally id like to see him back in premiership to see how he'd get on coming back.i also think his biatch is pulling alot of the strings :;

SlavikSvensk
12-01-2007, 04:11 AM
cause i have a feeling the standard of foootbal isnt all that gud over there(guessing ive never actually watched any)

it's not. i mean, it's not BAD...it's just not that good. think dutch league without ajax.

force
12-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Greedy, self obsessed cunt.........end of!
#
I mean, what the **** does he need the money for?

Richierush
12-01-2007, 09:31 AM
i personally dont think its for the money,he is just seein out his football
in a nice hot country,plus posh has got the collar on an draggin him out there

SlavikSvensk
12-01-2007, 03:31 PM
the more i think about it, though, the more sense it makes.

a) he's on the downside of his career, so why not go somewhere he can still be the super star...mclaren doens't want him on the national side anyways, so...

b) he's always cared as much (or more) about his brand image than his football playing, and he's now in the perfect place to develop that

c) the weather is always nice in LA, people are nice and it's really low-key. even the paparazzi only hassle celebrities in specific areas...probably much easier for beckham to have a private life here than in europe

d) it's always been pele's dream to put football over the top in the US, and beckham now has the chance to do that as his legacy

e) $250 million is a really, really, really large amount of money. i doubt many people could say no to that, realistically

Will
12-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I mean that's the kind of money Michael Jordan was on isn't it? Strange to think an English football player could make a similar amount, considering there's only 5 players per team in basketball and the salary cap is under 1m dollars per team in MLS I think... And he's not exactly the best player in the world, though he'll probably be tge highest paid sportsman you would think.

phantomdj
12-01-2007, 07:02 PM
beckham is an arsehole.... his wife is an attention slut.

they are concrete proof of the pathetic state the world is in.... a talentless wanker like his wife is raking in millions and spending hundreds of thousands on clothes when there millions of people suffering.... it's not just them. it's arseholes like paul mccartney, elton john, madonna, spielberg, the royal family, etc etc etc...

they all **** me off to the extreme....

it's the stupid simple public who keep them where they are.

good riddance and take off to america is all i say. he will fit in well.

Insomnia
12-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Yeah all about money, i bet his Mrs told him to take this offer, he cant speak up cos he's scared of her, she is a talentless skinny bitch aswell cant stand her, little Tart! :grr:

SlavikSvensk
12-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I mean that's the kind of money Michael Jordan was on isn't it? Strange to think an English football player could make a similar amount, considering there's only 5 players per team in basketball and the salary cap is under 1m dollars per team in MLS I think... And he's not exactly the best player in the world, though he'll probably be tge highest paid sportsman you would think.

i think he's now the highest paid sportsman in the world. not 100% sure, but i think so. jordan never made $50 million a year.

i bet this ends up mostly a bust...at best, football will go from being a sport watched by latinos and europhiles to one also watched by a moderate number of non-latino, non-europhilic americans...like ice hockey.

prozac
12-01-2007, 07:43 PM
One word....
Victoria

Will
13-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Hmmm, I take it he's already pretty well known over there? I'm sure I heard Jordan was on 50m including all his sponsorsip deals and Scumacher was next on 40m...

i think he's now the highest paid sportsman in the world. not 100% sure, but i think so. jordan never made $50 million a year.

i bet this ends up mostly a bust...at best, football will go from being a sport watched by latinos and europhiles to one also watched by a moderate number of non-latino, non-europhilic americans...like ice hockey.

Aratron
13-01-2007, 02:30 PM
i ****ing hate beckham that ponce cost us the last world cup and european cup

Numeric
13-01-2007, 03:50 PM
i ****ing hate beckham that ponce cost us the last world cup and european cup

:laughing:

what balderdash you speak...

Becks is a good lad, fair-play to him, i wish him every success...

Insomnia
13-01-2007, 04:10 PM
I dont mind him to be honest, it's his wife that does me head in, she think she were a queen!

SlavikSvensk
13-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Hmmm, I take it he's already pretty well known over there? I'm sure I heard Jordan was on 50m including all his sponsorsip deals and Scumacher was next on 40m...

yeah, but this $50 mil is not even taking endorsements into account. beckham already has US endorsements and he'll get loads more, so i bet he'll end up with $75 mil a year not even counting any endorsements in europe or asia!

french_og
13-01-2007, 07:21 PM
I can't believe Beckham gets slated... people are just jealous. He has always been a top professional and always gave 110% for England and without his assists and goal in the world cup last year we would of been even worse.

Numeric
13-01-2007, 08:10 PM
I can't believe Beckham gets slated... people are just jealous. He has always been a top professional and always gave 110% for England and without his assists and goal in the world cup last year we would of been even worse.

i agree...

he's been an awesome talent over the years, there was a time when he was literaly carrying the England team to results, people seem to forget this, and are quick to lay blame, which is exactly why i have no interest in the English national side and haven't for a long time...

for United Becks had many fine years, but he was guilty of going AWOL in certain fixtures from time to time, it's like the game against Arse in the FA Cup, the one that lead to the flying boot incident, Sir Alex was reported as saying 'Ashley Cole is making you look like a c**t out there' or somin to that effect, and he was right...

still not sure if it was correct to sell him when we did, i guess it was impossible for Sir Alex and him to get along, plus Ole was out-performing Becks towards the end of the 2002-2003 season, but then got injured ofcourse...

278d7e64a374de26f==