PDA

View Full Version : Re-Edits....what is your opinion?

anx
22-01-2007, 06:19 PM
i think ableton really opened up alot of doors and new possibilities for making re-edits.

there are tons of re-edits floatin around of popular tracks, some official, some unofficial.

i've heard some really awesome re-edits of tracks, (Erol Alkan comes to mind), they can take a track and edit it with nothing but the actual wav file, and make it sound like a remix....

since serato, cdj's and laptop dj'ing is so popular now, dj's are taking tracks that they play, and editing it to their liking....obviously this can make some controversy, but by the looks of things, its just going to become more and more popular with lots of digital dj's who have a copy of ableton

what are your thoughts on this? is this good for electronic music? would you get pissed off if someone edited your track and played it out?

Numeric
22-01-2007, 06:29 PM
a couple of house producers who i used to share a gaff with would edit tracks for use in their sets, although the edits always sounded great and went off big-time when they played them out, i found myself questioning whether it was 'musicaly ethical'...

still not sure how i feel about it, i guess if it's just the odd track in a set then fair-do's, but still, if i was a producer then i guess i would be a little miffed that someone had edited my track without permission...

wenna
22-01-2007, 06:51 PM
i don't think it should be massive problem, we're in the age now where a dj needs to be a little different to stand out.!

snooch
22-01-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm of the opinion that if I've paid for it, the track is my property to do what I want with as long as I don't publish it. If it is published (as part of a promo mix lets say), either give full documentation and credit or get permission. Any release as a stand alone project as in a track or re-edit should have full approval.

prozac
23-01-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm of the opinion that if I've paid for it, the track is my property to do what I want with as long as I don't publish it. If it is published (as part of a promo mix lets say), either give full documentation and credit or get permission. Any release as a stand alone project as in a track or re-edit should have full approval.

makes sense

Si the Sigh
23-01-2007, 07:18 AM
We've ripped up loads of edits for sets before. We don't let anyone get their hands on them and it's only a bit of fun innit.

278d7e64a374de26f==