PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed: 2*19'' tft or 1*22'' (or 2*22'')

loopdon
23-01-2007, 01:55 PM
hi!

advice needed.

- non gamer
- pretty much for music making only
- the 19'' are hanns.g and the 22'' is iiyama

i reckon two 19'' inch widescreens would possibly be a better idea but if i got the 22'' inch one i could always ad the second? (overkill i guess, i am just a fan of leaving options open).

think it will be the two 19'' widescreens but what do you guys say?

FILTERZ
23-01-2007, 02:04 PM
two screens is a really nice way to work

allthough when i did it last year it caned the living shit out of my cpu

as long as you have the power go for it i reckon

lovely to have the arrangement on one screen and the mixer and stuff on another.

loopdon
23-01-2007, 02:16 PM
that's exactly what i am planning to do. i reckon i will get two these then:

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6673/imgp2728nx7.jpg

everybody reckon that wide screen is better when esp. dealing with audio?

all further advice appreciated!

loopdon
23-01-2007, 02:24 PM
this is the other one (or two :) ) i am considering

http://geizhals.at/img/pix/220690.jpg

god, i am confused...

loopdon
24-01-2007, 02:30 PM
looked at some tfts today.

somehow the 19'' widescreens look to small..

Jay Pace
24-01-2007, 02:39 PM
I run two 19" tft

Its plenty big.

You can get quality 19" tft dirt cheap as well.

loopdon
24-01-2007, 02:49 PM
widescreens? i think if not widescreen, you are right. it could be more than enough. i don't want to rush it, jay. i am one of that kind of people who can get rather upset if they rush out and buy something, esp. when i want it to last me a few years.

thanks a lot for your comment. just had a look at some in a shop today and while i would aggree that two 19 inch ones would be enough, the 19'' widescreens disapointed me, size-wise.

Jay Pace
24-01-2007, 02:54 PM
You can get two decent 19" for the price of just one decent 22"

Its nice if you work across two different apps - cubase in one monitor, reason in the other.

Or just cubase - arrangement in one, mixer and plugins in the other.

But once you get used to working in two it makes working in one seem tiny :mrmyagi:

Looking forward to hearing some of your stuff man.

dirty_bass
24-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Well, for the most part I think 2 screens is more of a status thing, than a necesity, unless you are a pro tools head.
It`s consuming more power, and also more oomph for your machine.

I`ll throw a spanner in the works and say one big ass will save you space, and a little bit of processing.
And you`ll be very comfortable with it.

2 screens really won`t speed up your working rate that much.

loopdon
24-01-2007, 04:48 PM
thanks for the input to both of you. as said before, i won't rush the decision. at this point in time it looks as if it will be either a 22'' or two 19'' displays. i surely won't get two 19'' inch widescreens, though, as what i saw today in the shop just didn't do it for me.

steve, i am not really concerned about status, but i know what you mean by saying this. the space issue is sth. i am more concerned about the space issue. i mean, just about anything will be better than the 17'' tft i have now. allthough it was a huge step after having had only crts before. mainly because my eyes aren't stressed so much anymore and it takes up a lot less space on my desk.

loopdon
24-01-2007, 05:19 PM
and jay, thanks for your interest in my music-making. i will send you a link and/or upload in the filez section as soon as i feel confident enough. as long as that might take...

Barely Human
24-01-2007, 05:49 PM
There was a company producing dual screens that fitted into one unit. I cant for the life of me remember what they were called tho.

jk_scowling
25-01-2007, 10:17 AM
It depends what you are using, i've just got 1 19" tft and its fine most of the time, but I've started using cubase and ableton rewired. I'm considering getting another as it would make arranging things so much easier, being to able to see both arrange pages at the same time.

Jay Pace
25-01-2007, 10:25 AM
yeah, it totally depends on what you use to work with.

If you're rewiring things it really helps to see both apps at the same time. Running reason and cubase on the same monitor and constantly flicking back and forth is a pain in the arse.

TechMouse
25-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Well, for the most part I think 2 screens is more of a status thing, than a necesity, unless you are a pro tools head.
I use two screens at work (as a software developer) and it's pretty much essential to my workflow these days.

I'd love a second monitor at home, but my GFX card doesn't have the support.

It`s consuming more power, and also more oomph for your machine.
I'm not completely convinced of this. The monitors use their own power and the processing should be handled by your graphics card. There might be a subtle increase in chatter on the PCI bus, but negligible. Ultimately it's all about screen real estate - the configuration (big rectangle or two smaller rectangles) is neither here nor there.

FILTERZ
25-01-2007, 11:36 AM
using two screens knocked my cpu for six but then i am using a laptop so it was one extra screen

TechMouse
25-01-2007, 11:52 AM
using two screens knocked my cpu for six but then i am using a laptop so it was one extra screen
Laptop graphics cards are integrated though.

xfive
25-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Anyone with a graphics card made in the last few years should be able to easily handle two screens at optimum resolution with no slowdown. GPUs have been more than capable of doing this for some time now. Just make sure you set your refresh rates on both to be high (>60hz), as this can be the source of most people's eyestrain and headaches.
Where you will see slowdown is if you try to run 3D things across both screens at once.. but I reckon if you are doing that in the first place you will probably have a high end card anyway.

In terms of 2x 19" or 1x 22" .. that's really up to you.
I've owned a 22" Iiyama crt (big ass mofo) for 7-8 years now and it is still in mint shape. It is plenty of space to me.. and even though it hits crazy resolutions I only run it in 1600x1200.
At work I use two 19" lcds and it is essential for my workflow.
I have since added a 19" widescreen lcd to my home setup. Can I live without it ? Sure... but its really nice to now be able to have Ableton open on the big screen, and dedicate the lcd for showing the plugins for the selected track.
Really really nice... those of you who have used Ableton will know that it sometimes is a pain to try to have plugins open and see what's going on underneath.

So the choice is up to you.. but ultimately the more pixels the better. I'd say if you have the money, get two of either model.

loopdon
26-01-2007, 12:12 AM
wow. thanks guys!

MARK ANXIOUS
26-01-2007, 02:08 AM
omg, i can't believe i've only just seen this post!

i have had the same question the last two weeks!!!

basically i bought a 32 inch widescreen tv, tried to hook up the pc and it was shite. really bad...

so took it back and really looked into this.

i found the most amazing cheapest ever 19" monitors on amazon - they go perfectly together - no silly side speakers (they almost look like a single screen if you close your eyes). now i have two of them and i am sooooo happy. 100 quid each. unbelievable price!!!!!!

they are called hanzz-g or something. you can buy widescreen versions but the normal ones are best. it's like i have a 37 inch tv in front of me. incredible.

i would put my life on it you will be the happiest person alive if you get these... and for 200 quid. resolution is amazing, best i have ever had. wow.

MARK ANXIOUS
26-01-2007, 02:13 AM
f me loopy, they're the ones!!!!

jesus, you have to get them!!!! the best bargain on the net right now i think. buy them quick b4 they go... annd anyone else who has the cash - get these.....

loopdon
26-01-2007, 06:22 AM
hi mark,

my initial post said:

"- the 19'' are hanns.g and the 22'' is iiyama"

so those were the ones i was concerned about already, hehe...

good to hear they do perform well, though!

could you have a look at the exact model nr. for me. they have several in the 19'' range..

TechMouse
26-01-2007, 09:47 AM
basically i bought a 32 inch widescreen tv, tried to hook up the pc and it was shite. really bad...
That's because regular (non-HD) TVs use interlacing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced) to create "better" pictures.

(Old skool Amiga users might remember "interlace" mode in DeluxePaint).

Shite for detailed graphics, or anything with a detailed user interface.

If you've got a TV-out on your computer, give it a go - it's staggeringly hard to read text on the Start Menu or whatever. Even with relatively large fonts.

they are called hanzz-g or something.

I've got two of these badboys (http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/l788i/index.asp) on my desk at the moment.

You pay a premium, but **** me they're beautiful.

278d7e64a374de26f==