25-01-2007, 11:06 AM
i just cant get the grip of it
whatever i make is either stagnant or just chaotic
i cant seem to get that driving feel nohow
advice or help anyone?

loopdon
26-01-2007, 12:10 AM
study stuff you like intensively.
use loops and see how they work. then try to re-do those loops.
the *.rex format comes in very handy for this.
get your hands on some percussion/beat midi files and use your own sounds with them.
run a randomize function over an array of percussion and pick the loops that sound usable.
practise and don't give up - that makes all the difference.

persistence is key!

any examples of what you are trying to achieve, tracks, artists?

Lag
26-01-2007, 01:24 AM
lokti & rumenige - moda

loopdon
26-01-2007, 01:31 AM
link to a snippet would be well helpful :)

Lag
26-01-2007, 01:33 AM
http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF175311-01-01-02.mp3

MARK ANXIOUS
26-01-2007, 02:04 AM
this is an easy one mate.. you need to get compression working.

that particular track would rock if you compressed that sound, took the vol of it down, and then perhaps unsed some nice sidechaining to make things pump a little off the kick...

hope this helps!!!

Lag
26-01-2007, 04:32 AM
haha
u misunderstood me
i dont need the production advice
i need the aestetical advice

ill send u both the track im working on
so u can see what im on about

dirty_bass
26-01-2007, 04:55 AM
POst a link to give an example of where you are at, and then we can maybe help.
Going by the link you gave to the lotki track, it`s actually a very simple groove they got going there.
There`s either a minor velocity movement in the kicks or a little delay, that gives that kick groove a kinda live feel.
And the hat pattern is also pretty simple. Possibly sidechained to the kick slightly to again, give it a little ducking and movement, or again it`s just subtle velocity programming.
There`s some little snappy hits in there too, but again, they are sparse and simple.

I think as a rule keeping things simple, but not having static velocities is a good way of keeping beats very fluid and natural.
Also be aware of counterpoint, or sound and return.
ie the kick needs a counterpoint to balance against, be it a hat or clap or whatever, and it`s how you break down the countering, whether you do it every quarter bar, or half bar, or whatever, that sets up the groove.

Being able to play the drums, or understanding drum theory also helps:)

loopdon
26-01-2007, 06:58 AM
dunno if it's a delay or just volume stuff but it might as well be volume based. anyhow, i whacked that *.mp3 through melodyne and it came up with stomething that could be useful, at least to find out the kick pattern. i didn't use the entire mp3 but cut off something like 6 bars to analyze, nothing new after that anyway.

i have made you some midi files that may be starting points (mainly for the kicks), one is as melodyne detected. one is slightly adjusted by me (didn't know if the pitched up sounds were intentional or melodyne ****ups). another version has been quantized. don't know if that is a no-go in that style but i did it anyway. @140 bpm, ca. 6 bars. might need to pitch up or down, dunno. you will work it out.

nice track you have there, btw. even if i am not into the broken stuff to much, so i am no expert by any means. sounds nicely produced..

MIDI:

http://www.mediafire.com/?al5mjzlndnm

Lag
26-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Being able to play the drums, or understanding drum theory also helps:)
yeah, im trying to find some books on rythm theory
and i think i found some
but nvm

link sent to pm :]

@loopdon thanks, ill try this

loopdon
26-01-2007, 09:14 AM
it does sound similar i guess :)

you might have to leave out notes that might not belong to the kick pattern..

i guess loading up the mp3 in your daw together with the midi file(s) would be the best way to follow the pattern played.

like this:

channel one: midi pattern -----------------------------------------------
channel two: mp3 -----------------------------------------------

so you can hear/see what's going on and in how far the midi is correct.

please report back, i'd be interested. you could even cut out a kick drum from the mp3 and let that be played by the midi.

loopdon
26-01-2007, 10:04 AM
i tried what i suggested and made some variations. i basically cut up a part of the mp3 and used the kick drums samples i gained for some loops. it's whacky, i know, hehe.

here's a loop package, 4 bars each @140 bpm:

three different kicks cut from the mp3, each loop with swing and without. seemed to make the shizzle gel better.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7mzmdmou0rm

Lag
26-01-2007, 12:19 PM
is nice
haha
i just might try using this stuff in my next track
can u tell me again what did u use to get that midi track?

loopdon
26-01-2007, 01:34 PM
celemony melodyne:

http://www.celemony.com/cms/

http://www.celemony.com/cms/typo3temp/pics/6349579c3a.jpg

absolutely stunning program.

different detection modes

- 'percussive'
- 'melodic'
- 'polyphonic'

there's a vst version as well. but that doesn't have the same functions. superb nonetheless.

melodyne is the 'industry standard', i'd say.

i used it to analyze bassline-patterns from tracks as well. esp. good when the bassline patterns are free, i.e. in a break without percussion clogging the detection up.

278d7e64a374de26f==