PDA

View Full Version : Visuals...part of technos future??

Siege
31-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Really intrested in mixing visuals to go with the music.
Its being done already, i know..getting a visual artist to work with,but i kinda like the idea of doing it yourself...a progression in creativity,adding an extra element to your performance,whether it be dj or artist.
I think it could be a big part of techno in the future.
With the arrival of the vj and dvd mixing getting more popular,i dont think it will be long before people start doing it themselves whilst playing the music.
Getting tracks cued up is becoming a thing of the past with more and more using ableton as apose to playing vinyl,so this could create more time to concentrate on other things like mixing images to complement there sound.Personally i think visuals suit techno than any other form of music,
Wondering what you guys thought about it???

Lag
31-01-2007, 10:14 PM
as much as i remember thats millses thought too
the future of djing is doing the music and visuals at the same time
i havent seen a good visual in a long time though
usually people just mix up some lame shit and change images
a very popular vj here just plays warp vision (videos for songs released by warp) on one channel and then cuts here and there to another channel with short clips of her and her boyfriend cooking chocolate :\

Siege
31-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Chocolate cooking clips popular over yours then??

stjohn
31-01-2007, 10:29 PM
the night i play at focus's on visuals alot.... theres some great software

Resolume is small and really easy to use. Getting good visuals is the hard part!!

when done right tho, they can really make a night

holotropik
01-02-2007, 10:00 AM
yep....most of us grow up watchin TV rather than listening so I would guess visuals would appeal to most.

Jay Pace
01-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Personally i think visuals suit techno than any other form of music, Wondering what you guys thought about it???

my 2 cents:

They're like having good lights. Which few clubs do well.

Having good, varied lights & lasers makes the whole experience more intense, and can make an atmosphere charged. Having bad/no lights can make techno seem a little sparse and dull in places.

Or maybe I've just been left a bit deflated by seeing Mills noodle about on Lost's washy soundsystem together with their "minimal" approach to lighting.

At Sonar each year the lights and the ****ing brilliant visuals grab everyone's attention and create a sense of unity amongst a franky ridiculous sized crowd of thousands of people. When they work, they work well.

Bad visuals, like bad lights, are just a distraction. Like having a tv in the pub. You want to listen to what your mates talking about, but your eyes wander onto the silent football match being played out 40 degrees above his head.

If you can do it properly, and want to spend the time and effort then fair play and good luck. Its a lot for one guy to do though. Might be worth looking for a visuals partner rather than try and do too much at once...

MangaFish
01-02-2007, 12:51 PM
tbh EDM is years behind the live music scene as artists like Pink Floyd have been using visuals as part of their act since the year dot.

I'm by no means saying that the visuals make or break a good night, but it's a nice touch that bring the crowd together and makes the night that much more memorable

TechMouse
01-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Nine Inch Nails had spectacular visuals when I went to see them in 1999.

Ritzi Lee
01-02-2007, 07:26 PM
There is a damn lot of work in just a 10 minute movie.

prozac
01-02-2007, 07:34 PM
good visuals add to a nights atmosphere I think.
Its important that the music style is in tune with the visuals, ie if your playing dark dirty techno you might want dark abstract visuals (www.zanlyons.com).
whereas finnish disco dancing goes great sync'd with minimal/italo. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJj6d5QSYaE) it

MangaFish
01-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Nine Inch Nails had spectacular visuals when I went to see them in 1999.

I'd love to see NIN live!
Heard they were at Glastonbury one year I went - dunno how I missed them

Komplex
02-02-2007, 10:06 PM
There is a damn lot of work in just a 10 minute movie.

yeah thats it. and a lot of $$$ as a result. Here in Melbourne, the scene can't support this stuff cus there just isn't enough money going around, it tends to go up peoples noses before anyone ever thinks about good visuals ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==