PDA

View Full Version : what are your fave verb settings?

Tyrisia
06-02-2007, 05:22 PM
well I ask this as I've got the kit, a powercore, but still haven't mastered the art of lush verb yet, it's either too short or too mushy. what verb settings do you guys use to get that professional lushness without cluttering the mix? do you use seperate settings for percussion and synths?

tonyc2002
06-02-2007, 05:39 PM
you could always try using a gate

Tyrisia
06-02-2007, 05:45 PM
funnily enough I was just trying that this afternoon mate, it does help a fair bit, the only thing I worried about is maybe it is a bit of an unnatural way of treating reverb, coz verb tails don't get cut in real life. I know this is a common workaround that has been discussed here before, i will definitely experiment more..

rhythmtech
06-02-2007, 06:00 PM
if you're making techno i wouldnt be too concerned about what sounds natural

loopdon
06-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Highpass it if needed. The more you listen to different techno the more you are bound to realize that lots of verb-tips don't apply to this kinda music.

Tracks by big names can be bathing in verb. I would almost say that the (over)usage of reverb is one of the absolute key-factors in getting a ''pro''-techno sound. As rhythmtech said: don't worry to much about it sounding natural.

Two different reverbs on sends - one short (room or something like it) and one long one should allow you to create a nice 3-d effect. I'd just not put to much and to long a reverb on kicks and deep bass.

For lots of people 300 Hz is a value at where reverb usage starts. below that maybe not and mono if aiming at vinyl compatibility.

That's all i can add.

Tyrisia
06-02-2007, 07:26 PM
cheers guys, I've just tried two different megaverbs, one with a short decay and gated and a long decay on the other no gate, cut the short at 200hz and is sounding much better, I will experiment more methinks..

Tyrisia
06-02-2007, 08:43 PM
here's the product of my experiments, can someone tell me if the verb is wet enough, especially on the percussion as a) i just got new monitors and am just gettin used to them and b) i always get criticised for dry percussion

test (http://www.tyrisia.co.uk/test.mp3)

loopdon
07-02-2007, 12:39 AM
will listen tomorrow. to possibly answer your question beforehand:

a) compare to tracks YOU like; possibly have enjoyed in a club situation

b) it boils down to taste; different producers handle this in different ways and many approaches are valid

loopdon
07-02-2007, 12:55 AM
Had a quick listen. Sounding nice to me!!

Another thing about the lushness topic:try cutting/attenuating the highs on a reverb (return); i can't confirm this but i heard a lot of oldskool-verbs didn't do much above about 5 KHz.

Less highs=generally less up-front. This can be helpful in creating a more 3-dimensional soundscape.

[lots of things done with reverb can be done in a possibly cleaner and less cpu-intense manner with DELAYS]

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Reverb/

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/dec97/processorsdec.html

Tyrisia
07-02-2007, 01:06 AM
cheers for listening loopdon, if it sounds good to someone else then i can be happy that i've got the sound that i want and that it's acceptable to others:)

most of the verbs in megaverb have alot of the high freq removed as standard, there's a sloping eq built in, and yes i sloped everything from 5khz down to -13db at the top end, too much top end sounds silly tinny to me anyways.

still got a bit of a way to go to match my reference track which was the free speedy and literon track from the collabs project, i'll just keep dreaming on that one hehe

Tyrisia
07-02-2007, 01:07 AM
oh and cheers for the tutes as well mate;)

278d7e64a374de26f==