PDA

View Full Version : PRIME ARE DEAD - The elephant is dead !!

zan
29-10-2003, 11:16 AM
I hear from a friend that Prime Distribution are dead. First Integrale gone and now Prime. This can only be a positive event, maybe not for some shops who thrive on the drivel Prime churn out, but its time people started putting more effort into the so called music they sell. And stop driving around in Porsche Boxsters and slum it with the rest of us.[/url]

Esox Lucius
29-10-2003, 11:20 AM
cant say I am suprised, what with the dire tracks they have been putting out recently.

Sunil
29-10-2003, 01:30 PM
I hear from a friend that Prime Distribution are dead. First Integrale gone and now Prime. This can only be a positive event, maybe not for some shops who thrive on the drivel Prime churn out, but its time people started putting more effort into the so called music they sell. And stop driving around in Porsche Boxsters and slum it with the rest of us.[/url]

oh yeah, a company going bust and people losing their jobs is always a positive event.

MARKEG
29-10-2003, 01:54 PM
well from what i heard to day, it's not gone. they're buying into a big wholesaler and setting up this subsidiary company Prime Direct. this is definitely not the end of prime.

miromiric.
29-10-2003, 02:02 PM
thats what i thought so. major house that sells lousy music cant go bankrupt in this crazy world full of shiteaters.

The Overfiend
29-10-2003, 04:36 PM
Maybe it's also a test for us who love this music to do something for it beyond writing and enjoying tracks.
Look at the independent hip hop kids.
When they were tired of being forcefed they did thier own thing.
Look at labels like Def Jux now.
Perhaps the same needs to happen with techno.

miromiric.
29-10-2003, 04:47 PM
what dis they do summer?

dirty_bass
29-10-2003, 07:52 PM
Already trying to do something to help techno. Running a club that is aimed at promoting techno producers rather than DJ`s, trying to support the scene, very hard going in london though. Also in league with electronik music distribution (run by an old stalwart of the scene), making an ever groing collective of forward thinking, non egotistical techno producers, with the idea of supporting and nurturing each other.
United we stand, Divided we fall.

Jimfish
29-10-2003, 09:17 PM
how nice :love:

The Overfiend
29-10-2003, 09:24 PM
Group Hug :love:

dirty_bass
29-10-2003, 11:17 PM
why not ey!! no other phuqqers gonna hug us :cry: . Oh stuff has been sent to you Jim, but postal strike may effect delivery. When you up Laaaarndon town next??

Tony
31-10-2003, 01:31 AM
stop driving around in Porsche Boxsters and slum it with the rest of us.[/url][/quote]

class!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
a constant joke referance in my new office.

Tony
31-10-2003, 01:36 AM
well from what i heard to day, it's not gone. they're buying into a big wholesaler and setting up this subsidiary company Prime Direct. this is definitely not the end of prime.

so far as i know mark, thats been there for some time. they also bought caroline in the states which is a big indie music seller. they are now shifting loads of indietronica, would they buy all my electronica stuff that i personally brought to integrale, would they ****! (where's the crying smilie gone?)

this was estimated as i stepping stone of anticipated collapse in the integrale office many months ago.

good riddance to both i say. i think we can expect to see a lot of the records you guys are searching for, for quite cheap soon as the whole thing (techno wise at least) rebuilds itself.

Mattias Fridell (emb)
31-10-2003, 06:03 PM
The problem with this incident is that many label runners are going to change distribution. I know that around 30 labels (originally distributed by prime) is now chatting with Triple Vision for new deals.

It´s not good for smaller labels, just think about it!
Big labels is very welcome cause the distributors can earn more money on them.
It´s pretty sad, but true.

miles
31-10-2003, 06:30 PM

so far as i know mark, thats been there for some time. they also bought caroline in the states which is a big indie music seller. they are now shifting loads of indietronica, would they buy all my electronica stuff that i personally brought to integrale, would they ****! (where's the crying smilie gone?)

this was estimated as i stepping stone of anticipated collapse in the integrale office many months ago.

good riddance to both i say. i think we can expect to see a lot of the records you guys are searching for, for quite cheap soon as the whole thing (techno wise at least) rebuilds itself.

Your comments seam quite strange.
Everyone thought you were Tony V's bitch.

Buttman
31-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Everyone thought you were Tony V's bitch.

Are you not your boss' bitch?

The Overfiend
31-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Caroline was bought out?
IF so the smaller labels should have no problem with them.

anx
31-10-2003, 09:26 PM
whats all this talk aboot elephants

Tony
01-11-2003, 03:18 AM
Your comments seam quite strange.
Everyone thought you were Tony V's bitch.[/quote]

why would my comments seem strange, check all my posts. the only person i fell out with was brian and that was from us both not knowing tiny details and argueing over bigger topics. we where both wrong and both doing something very futile. we have buried the hatchet now and i'm actively helping him as i am holding the older DM stock. brian is quite aggressive, not a dis from me, just a comment. and i am defensively aggressive, so we got caught in a little vacuum, but we're gents and we sorted it out constructively.

i am no-ones emeny and no-ones bitch. i joined integrale, as i joined the record shop before it, to be closer to music. i now work for someone who is technically the complete opposite of tonyv. an ex of his who runs a manufacturing brokers that integrale owed hundreds of thousands of pounds. i couldnt be literally further from tonyv's bitch if i tried. yet still across many forums over many different genres i have to struggle to clear my name.

i hope anyone reading this from here on in can see that. all posts can be checked at any time. i'm sure mr mark eg would have kicked my ass off of here if i displayed the same qualitys of integrales old psychotic md. and there are certainly others on this board who will tell that i am harmless and 3000% musically oriented.

Tiddlypeep
01-11-2003, 05:59 AM
Prime are gone guys!.

I got an email from Ernest @ Prime today :cry: .

The recievers went on tuesday and thats it.

I feel really sorry for all the guys @ Prime. Some of my really close friends worked there!.

I'm a bit worried about the consequences about this tho. What about the same labels that Prime carried and are still owed monies in royalties etc?. Does this mean that some labels will go under due to financial strain of Prime going under?.

Take this for instance - Tomaz & Filterheads - Sunshine Sold in excess of 20,000 units!!!!!. Has Intec been paid?. Thats a hell of alot of money thats lost if they haven't!.

I think this is a sad day for us all, when distribution companys go down it is certainly a worrying time!.

Thats my tuppence worth anyway!.

Will

Ritzi Lee
01-11-2003, 06:17 AM
It's true guys.
I had a chat with Ade and Paul of Advanced records today.
They told me prime knew 6 months ago it's going down.
But the labels just knew this last week... :eh:

MARKEG
02-11-2003, 03:55 AM
Tony, I have to say in my eyes and i hope many other members will agree, that the fact your posts have been so passionate, long and well thought out PROVES to me that your heart is in the right place and that's all I care about. What i'm finding about this little forum of ours is ppl come on here, say their piece, get a little hot under the collar and for most of the time respect everyone's view without having to offer them outside like a childish 14 yr old. Miles I wish you hadn't said what you said, but fair play and it brought something out of Tony and I personally respect that he came out and said that on the net like he did. If it were me I'd probably (welll on other forums anyway!!!!) jump to the defensive, make a total ass of myself and then we'd get nowhere. hehe.

OK back on topic. We all don't know the story at the end of the day but IF Prime have known about it and left a load of labels unpaid for alot of months then they are (ahem) CUNTS with a capital C. But we just don't know do we. All I know is that many of my personal frends in this industry have been left with nothing. I also know that Prime have been sending me some bloody amazing music over the last god knows how many years and some crap too of course) IMO I think Prime have covered up their problems and not told anyone because they thought they could sort it out - just like many of us would do in that situation ????? Labels have be suspicious but kept with them cause they thought it was the best thing to do ?????

At the end of the day it's a big mess and the only ones to blame are the ppl who place and promote techno music. But how can they when most of us don't care about image/promotion etc etc. Sales surely need to go up, artists need to understand this and distributors need to sort it out. It a catch 22 and I can't see any way out of it.

Or perhaps we're all happy with good ppl/passionate artists getting no money cause distributors go down left right and centre???

All my opinion at this stage...

The Overfiend
02-11-2003, 04:22 PM
[quote="MARK EG"]

At the end of the day it's a big mess and the only ones to blame are the ppl who place and promote techno music.

[/equote]

We Have A Winner.
That's the problem right there.

davethedrummer
02-11-2003, 07:33 PM
i wonder if marco bailey might be interested in that remix now??

davethedrummer
02-11-2003, 07:38 PM
didn't mean to appear cruel there in my last post
it just popped into my head.
i'm pretty gutted that this is still going on all these big companys folding.
but there is a bright side. the smaller companies do seem to be getting a grip and this may help open some doors for them. which essentially means better music and maybe less of the identikit records of the recent past.
just jusic , jedi , and the s.u.f collective under amato seem to be hanging in and as lone as we keep it tight and keep the quality high we can keep it going.

dan the acid man
02-11-2003, 07:42 PM
as long as the s.u.f collective is still going, i,ll be happy, i think this is also a good example to other labels e.t.c how to run a succesfull business

Paul Nisbet
02-11-2003, 08:52 PM
as long as the s.u.f collective is still going, i,ll be happy, i think this is also a good example to other labels e.t.c how to run a succesfull business

S.U.F rmx series is amazing... been most impressed with those releases!

dirty_bass
02-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Jedi aren`t a particularly honourable bunch. They ****ed over Pat Hurley big time. I wouldn`t mind at all if they went down.

davethedrummer
03-11-2003, 11:52 PM
Jedi aren`t a particularly honourable bunch. They **** over Pat Hurley big time. I wouldn`t mind at all if they went down.

well actually i heard the opposite
but i don't know the full story so i don't really want to get into it.
one thing though, chris has been praising them for always paying and being on time every time.
this is a very important fact especially in these times.

dirty_bass
04-11-2003, 02:39 AM
Pat was sacked when he asked for a decent (I would say measly) wage, after aqquiring Jedi ALL of their Techno roster. They didn`t even know what techno was.
I was offered a deal with Jedi, but after hearing about Pat, I decided stear clear of them, and keep my business within the "brotherhood", so to speak.
Pat has done me proud, the man is honest, hard working (he never phucking leaves the office), and has done me proud. My first release is still getting plugged, and is still selling really well, 6 months after it was released, worldwide, the man is a trooper.
I just think things are better handled by people who know the music and have a passion for it.

MARKEG
04-11-2003, 08:59 AM
hmmm.... it's good to know for sure BUT jedi are not really here to defend themselves. that concerns me in discussions like this. if they pay on time then isn't that a good thing? mind you, when good ppl get f**ked over, something needs to be said i suppose. but i know naff all about naff all so i'll just shut up.

Buttman
04-11-2003, 09:08 AM
My first release is still getting plugged, and is still selling really well, 6 months after it was released, worldwide, the man is a trooper.

Trooper you say.. No wonder he is not getting along with Jedi.

LOL THAT WAS CHEAP! :lol:

dirty_bass
04-11-2003, 05:33 PM
Mmmmmh, I believe they have given over to the dark side.

I don`t mean to get too heated about Jedi. They are a fairly nice bunch of blokes, to be honest.
I sat in the office many times, and they were friendly enough, but their behaviour with me man Pat was way cold.
They are good distributers, and yes they do pay on time, but at the end of the day they don`t care about the music, or even like it, it`s all just gravey for their train.

dan the acid man
04-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Mmmmmh, I believe they have given over to the dark side.

I don`t mean to get too heated about Jedi. They are a fairly nice bunch of blokes, to be honest.
I sat in the office many times, and they were friendly enough, but their behaviour with me man Pat was way cold.
They are good distributers, and yes they do pay on time, but at the end of the day they don`t care about the music, or even like it, it`s all just gravey for their train.
it would be nice to just deal with people that love the music
but as that cant always be the case then i dont think it matters too much if they dont particularly like the style of music they are dealing with so long as they do their job correctly and jedi certainly seem to do that.

anx
04-11-2003, 09:56 PM
http://www.bornfree.org.uk/images/elefriends/deadele.jpg

duncandisorderly
05-11-2003, 01:21 PM

Am i to assume that your productions have not paid for a porsche for you then? :!: Whenever i dealt with the people at prime i found them to be friendly, helpful and quite knowledgable. their output may not have been to everyones taste, but that does not make it a bad thing! some people like clean, crisp pumping techno to play and to dance to (and to listen to in their porsches ...)

Tony
05-11-2003, 08:15 PM
no dunc, i think he's on about my old boss at integrale who drove his porsche until the very end.
well, what goes around comes around as they say. it became an industry in joke and a constant quote/tag on whenever i ask my new boss for something. '...oh and then i'll pop down the porsche garage..'.

kebabman
05-11-2003, 08:38 PM
Greed is a human failing, that is a fact. Prime did push some rubbish but then again pushing what might be termed commercial crap enabled them to distribute what might be termed non commercial crap.
When you get rich you tend to get greedy and the lure of a shiny new car can certainly overide any good business sense you have, FACT.
As for Integrale, well the same thing happened there. The most disturbing aspect is that two major distributors have gone bust and two major distributors have not been there to take their places. However if anyone is in Brum or lives near, then you may still be able to get a shed load of Integrale stuff at Music and Vinyl exchange for the bargain price of 50 pence per 12 inch.

Jimfish
06-11-2003, 12:01 AM
really? sweeet, im gonna be in brum for a week as of tomorrow

kebabman
06-11-2003, 12:13 AM
Queensway next to Richer Sounds.

kebabman
06-11-2003, 12:17 AM
Soz, forgot to mention a quid for LP's/EP's. Get down anyway kids, a bloke from Tempest works there now and he is pretty knowledeable (shortish with a goatee).

278d7e64a374de26f==