PDA

View Full Version : Ride cymbal capers

yeswehavetheright
29-10-2003, 05:22 PM
I read some where else I while back that one way to get ride symbals to kind of "ssssh" and ride across bars (I guess like a Ben Sims track) is to get a 909 ride to distort by having the channel fader turned right down, gain and treble right up, reduced attack and a little delay.

I'm using fruity loops and I have to say I haven't had a great deal of joy with this, does it only really work with hardware? Anyone have any tips or alternative methods to get a similar result with software? Cheers.

miromiric.
29-10-2003, 05:32 PM
hmm try with pitching down the ride and using a bit of reverb.

DJZeMig_L
29-10-2003, 06:16 PM
compress the life out of it!! will help aswell...

Z

dirty_bass
29-10-2003, 07:58 PM
run yer rides through a compressor, and sidechain the compressor to your kick, so the rides will pump with the kick, and heavy compression will give em that distorted head slicing sound.

anx
29-10-2003, 10:26 PM
can you explain what you mean by sidechain

RichieV
30-10-2003, 04:42 AM
When you use the signal from a source to control the compressor.

Does that make sense?

Mattias Fridell (emb)
30-10-2003, 11:01 AM
Hey, if you don´t like to compress your 909 Ride, just open a Granulizer and stretch the ride out, it´ll work for sure.
And one more thing; try to find a Ride sample with very long release time and skip to cut it when you step it out.

dirty_bass
30-10-2003, 04:33 PM
Sidechaining compression: The compression is applied over the rides, but the trigger for the amount of compression and when it is applied is taken from the kick

djTequila
31-10-2003, 12:35 AM
Most software doesn't allow side-chaining in my experience. The only way I've found is with Logic... I really hope this state of affairs changes.

Anyone else know any software that allows side-chaining?

You can side-chain gates, too - so you can drive your gated synths from your hi-hat rhythms.

Hmm. That's a bit trance, isn't it? :mashed:

OK... Try it on your reverb tails for an interesting effect which can increase the sense of rhythm...

Remember you can fake the effect of side-chaining by simply drawing in automation data for the track volume. ;)

T*

dirty_bass
31-10-2003, 01:22 AM
sonic-syndicates Orion allows side-chaining of a lot of effects.

Side chaining a gate is great. If you have a percussion loop that doesn`t quite sit right in the mix because it is a little busy, you can gate it gently and it slips nicely into the mix. Great for shimmery metallic nastiness.

djTequila
02-11-2003, 10:15 AM
sonic-syndicates Orion allows side-chaining of a lot of effects.

Side chaining a gate is great. If you have a percussion loop that doesn`t quite sit right in the mix because it is a little busy, you can gate it gently and it slips nicely into the mix. Great for shimmery metallic nastiness.

Haven't heard of that one... What is it? A sequencer or a plug-in? What platform? etc.

And what do you sidechain the gate with in that situation?

;)

I forgot in my last post, if you want to use your compressor to make the rides pump on the kicks, and you have no side-chain, mix the two channels before compressing the result.

Barely Human
02-11-2003, 01:43 PM
Most software doesn't allow side-chaining in my experience. The only way I've found is with Logic... I really hope this state of affairs changes.

I think you can do it in SX but im not sure how to do it. I know you can do it in Fruity by using the peak controller and linking the parameter you want to sidechain to it.

DJZeMig_L
02-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Yeah U can do it in fruity... don't even remember out 2 do it anymore but I think u can even find it in the help files!! But like IQ said it has Something 2 do with the peak controller.

SX ... U need a plug in that has the side chain option...

I know waves plug in has one (in fact C1 if I'm not mistaken)... u basically have 2 load a plug in called side chain to the Kick channel (or what ever u want 2 use to compress the Rides) and then on the ride channel use a C1 (on the C1 channel U have 2 activate Side Chain or key insert what ever "name" they use 4 it.... Mind u I've never donne this myself with the software I just know it's possible uppon reading they're help files)...

This topic has been fairly discussed b4 mates... Just look it up on the older posts...

PS - Adding 2 channels is not at all the same... cause u have 2 sounds together... But yes if u use the kick load enought in the mix it will compress the ride, still the result is all so different from sideC.

I used this method a lot 4 bass on my Yamaha 01v!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==