PDA

View Full Version : Action against non-paying publishers?

RDR
19-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Hi folks

Im currently having a problem with audiobase.com they wont answer my emails and they owe me money. I dont even know how much money as they wont answer me.

im a bit depressed about it as im halfway through finishing another loop CD pack for them. I dont realy care how much they owe me, even if it is 20 dollars i would be happy as its money earnt.

Anyone have any experience of this?

BTW they have broken the contract related to this twice already by not providing what they said they would.

I tried talking to the MCPS as per Ade Fentons advice on Friday night when i spoke to him, but they just told me to **** off and sort it myself, unhelpful bunch of twats.

The company is based in Canada.

Ta!

TechMouse
19-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Speak to a solicitor.

Don't listen to anyone's (non-professional) advice on the internet, with the exception of this one piece of advice I am giving you. Speak to someone who knows what they're talking about.

RDR
19-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Aye mark.. i knew it would come down to that... the whole thing doesnt look good TBH. bit gutted about it really.

How they get off treating people like this i dont know.

Thanks

TechMouse
19-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Aye mark.. i knew it would come down to that... the whole thing doesnt look good TBH. bit gutted about it really.

How they get off treating people like this i dont know.

Thanks
I suspect one fairly official looking letter from a solicitor and they'll cough up what you're owed under contract.

Most people get incredibly shirty when legal pressure is applied.

dan the acid man
19-02-2007, 06:42 PM
what a crap situation, hope you can get it sorted soon chris

Jay Pace
19-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Check your contract
Speak to a music lawyer
Then sue if you think you have grounds

But it really depends how much you think you're owed, and how much aggravation you think its worth.

RDR
19-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks jay

I am considering doing that.

A friend put me onto a music lawyer who i spoke to un-officially and he had a look at the contract. They are in clear breach of at least 2 terms of the contract (Providing me with a log-in to check my sales and not paying me as per contract timings)

the downside is they are based in Canada and i have **** all idea of even how to start this, or even if it is worth doing. they havnt even told me how much i am owed.

its like trying to herd fog...

:(

Jay Pace
19-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Have you got any idea how much money might be at stake?
And was the contract subject to english or canadian law?

Might be able to get a canadian lawyer on the case. Plenty of people stateside work on a no-win no-fee basis for pretty much anything that looks like there's a good chance of winning.

So if they're in clear breach of terms, you might find a lawyer quite keen to take it on, because if you win they will win their legal costs.

Mebbe speak to tocsin about this. I'm pretty sure he is a lawyer, a decent guy and based over the pond.

RDR
20-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi Jay

Thanks for the tocsin tip.. thats a good fella to know

However all is now smooth, they have finally paid up this morning.

It isnt much but its better than nothing after all.
i got paid 114 dollars which is about 50 quid. Working for a grand total of 1pound per hour... hahaha!

Never mind it pays a bill - its also my first paycheck of any kind for music i made from scratch so im really pleased. only 3450 quid to pay off my student loan now *feeble lol*

Cheers

marginmaster
20-02-2007, 12:43 PM
ah nice one dude:cool:

RDR
20-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks dude!

:laughing: :) :; :briggin:

holotropik
26-02-2007, 11:30 AM
I have been in this same position before myself
and I felt gutted as well.
Nothin I could do as they were in the US and I was in Australia and the money wasnt a big amount.

Point is that a lot of these distros do this, think about it...its easy to get a few hundred artists milk each one for a few hundred and then disapear....easy money.

Mitzi king
27-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Thats a shit one dude, nothin worse then gettin ripped off like that for work done!!

278d7e64a374de26f==