PDA

View Full Version : so who's buying digital releases?

djshiva
20-02-2007, 05:24 AM
i am curious.

i have been buying a LOT of music online and playing it either with serato or CDJs, depending upon availability.

this is not a thread to start another digital vs. vinyl debate, but a thread to figure out how many of us ARE buying digital.

leave the debates for the sticky.

Si the Sigh
20-02-2007, 07:39 AM
Not me.

I'm staying old skool and sticking with vinyl.

dan the acid man
20-02-2007, 08:42 AM
me, i've been buying digital releases for around a year now

eyeswithoutaface
20-02-2007, 09:03 AM
yeah ive been buying digital releases for a year or more now, ive kinda stopped regular djing anyway now just concentrating on the production and building up a live set

fac
20-02-2007, 10:05 AM
i've bought only one release from juno so far. would buy more if i had a laptop. bleep offers some excellent stuff.

20-02-2007, 10:12 AM
not me...vinyl forever

rhythmtech
20-02-2007, 11:35 AM
im buying digital

zyclone
20-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Im buying digital, but mostly vinyl

Jay Pace
20-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Buying 80% digital, 10% CD, 10% vinyl for a couple of years

Bleep and Beatport mainly

TechMouse
20-02-2007, 02:56 PM
I did an Electronica set the other week, and bought loads of stuff from Juno Download and Bleep.

It was frighteningly easy.

You listen, you click, you stick in your card details, it's downloaded to your machine inside of a couple of minutes.

I still love going to record shops, but I can see the allure.

I could also very easily run away with myself, especially if I got a bit pissed.

audioinjection
20-02-2007, 03:54 PM
I have yet to buy digital releases, still buying vinyl

I guess I'll make the jump once I get a nice laptop and software to play out at gigs

...Dave...
20-02-2007, 06:42 PM
i only buy digital now. have done for the last 18 months

Pagalve
20-02-2007, 06:58 PM
still buy vinyls only, but thinking to buy serato in near future. then offcourse i will use some digital stuff besides vinyl.

but overall vinyl is my love

Jak
21-02-2007, 01:02 AM
buying vinyl only at the moment, and it is costing a frightening amount... which may eventually lead to aquiring seratto or torq and working some digi in to my sets. But I can't really justify a complete switch over with so much invested in vinyl over the years. hmmmmmmmmmmm

MARK ANXIOUS
21-02-2007, 01:06 AM
i'm buying vinyl and recording into soundforge for times when i need to play cd's. have only ever purchased 1 digital download and that's cause i really needed the track at that point in time and couldn't buy the vinyl.

stjohn
21-02-2007, 02:24 AM
I did an Electronica set the other week, and bought loads of stuff from Juno Download and Bleep.

started doing this myself..

where i wouldnt have enough to buy loads of electronica Vinyl i can get loads of good stuff and mix them on CD decks at bars and cafe's and stuff. enjoyable to mix too, coz u dont have to wrry too much about it coz its background music.(well i dont really)

djshiva
22-02-2007, 02:48 AM
i asked because i am looking into starting a netlabel soonish, and i was curious about the interest for digital downloads of hard techno.

i personally have been unable to afford vinyl in quite some time, and have been buying a lot of digital tunes.

i find that it cuts out the filler tracks (i buy only the tunes on the eps that i like), and i can get a shit ton more music with 50 bucks than i could before (especially taking shipping out of the equation).

i still want to buy a few tunes here and there on vinyl, but the prices versus the money coming in just cannot justify too much money outlay for vinyl anymore (sad as i find that).

perhaps if the economy for those of us in the US who are not rich corporations actually got better this might change, but for the foreseeable future, i am enjoying sitting in my underwear buying tunes and having them in a few minutes.

Clit Commander
22-02-2007, 05:44 AM
There are tracks that are worth the $2 download, there are tracks that are worth $12 to have on vinyl. So, yes.

I think is also in part to low funds and poor selection at the shop over here. Every time I go to Berlin for a long weekend, the 22+ record stores has me like a kid at a candy store.

Jay Pace
22-02-2007, 10:13 AM
i still want to buy a few tunes here and there on vinyl, but the prices versus the money coming in just cannot justify too much money outlay for vinyl anymore (sad as i find that).

Couldn't agree more.

DJ Becka
22-02-2007, 01:48 PM
I buy both.....but to be honest, I am finding less and less reasons for buying vinyl anymore except for the novelty of having stuff on vinyl - the costs add up and I'm not miss moneybanks over here that I can drop hundreds of dollars on vinyl. On the other hand, I still like having a physical product in my hand, which you cant get with digital. I also like the whole social aspect of going to a record shop, bullshitting with the owner and people in the store, trading ideas about music, recommending new tracks for each other to check out, etc etc - and it is a shame this is being replaced by the digital era where people dont even need to leave their house to go buy music. Sure, it's convenient, but so many things - not just the vinyl market - are being replaced by computers and the internet, making people lazy and lose interest in having any social contact with the outside world. (a whole other discussion, but anywhoooooo....) I like the fact that with digital you are free to choose the tracks you want, rather than be forced to buy an entire vinyl ep for one track, so I'm not condemning it. I switched to Serato too, so for things I can get digitally, I do.

t-dj
23-02-2007, 03:16 PM
1 time only shopping at bleep.com for some super-rare Peacefrog and Warp stuff which was not anywhere available for a reasonable price, then subsequently also cut 2 of the downloaded tracks to dubplates.
I plan to start a mp3 shop for my vinyl label later this year but I'm definetly not in a hurry. Personally I am not comfortable with having "releases" sitting on a harddrive only, mp3 audio especially. I reject any DRM attached "un-music" altogether.

francois
24-02-2007, 03:19 PM
still like having a physical product in my hand, which you cant get with digital. I also like the whole social aspect of going to a record shop, bullshitting with the owner and people in the store, trading ideas about music, recommending new tracks for each other to check out, etc etc -

Thats the who point-vinyl has a tengible element to it, a smell and feel and tactile nature-It also looks great having a large wall-to-wall vinyl collection, granted perhaps 50% may be duff, but you had a reason to buy it in the first place. When was the last time someon invited you up to see their mp3 collection? ;-)

Ritzi Lee
24-02-2007, 07:16 PM
For the people who still buy vinyl:
Enjoy it as long as you can,
because in the near future this will disappear.

djshiva
04-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Thats the who point-vinyl has a tengible element to it, a smell and feel and tactile nature-It also looks great having a large wall-to-wall vinyl collection, granted perhaps 50% may be duff, but you had a reason to buy it in the first place. When was the last time someon invited you up to see their mp3 collection? ;-)

true enough. but after moving a rather large vinyl collection over 10 times in the last 10 years, i can honestly say i am less enamored of the "tangibility" of vinyl than ever before...

MorePunkThanFunk
05-03-2007, 02:54 PM
as a label we do both vinyl and mp3 but tbh mp3 is hardly a money spinner in techno yet, we sell a fair amount of mp3's but not enough to realistically be an mp3 only label. admitadly there's no over head's with mp3's but is it worth relasing tracks if you only gonna sell a few.

278d7e64a374de26f==