PDA

View Full Version : Will Bithell - Resent

Tyrisia
20-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Here's what I'm workin on at the mo, I've mainly been workin on the structure, so the mix is a little shoddy. I've been battling with the distorted loop that runs through the track, trying to tame it and get it soundin musical, so that's my main worry at the mo. Also can't decide on a good level for the kik, I'm either too little or too much so let me know what ya all think:)

Resent (http://www.tyrisia.co.uk/resenttest.mp3)

Siege
20-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Like what ur working with at the moment mate, id say more volume on the kick and maybe beef it up a bit too. Like the energy build in the breakdown..would be very effective in club if you can get it sounding better once it kicks back in..some of that will be down to the kick volume though. like to hear once youve tweaked

BRADLEE
20-02-2007, 10:18 PM
well cool laid back tune. Not so much my deal, but sounds good in the headphones. Sort of reminds me of DJ preach on Ascned or the likes of that Flowers tune that Beyer did a remix of..

Wish I could comment on the mix, but from what I can hear the kick drum is setting ok in this. Sorry I'm not the best referance for that in the phones.

Tyrisia
20-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks guys, I've had a look at the kik, wasn't too happy with it myself, so thanks seige for your input, kinda made up me mind a bit for me there as to what to do with it.

@messenger, glad you like it, and yeah it sounds good on my headphones too, 70% of it has been made on them, coz I've been a bit of a night owl recently, but the kik is a bit troublesome on my monitors and sounds a wee bit flabby. After a good nights sleep I'm gonna attack it again tomorrow, I'm havin a few beers right now so probably not the best time to sort it.

clodhoppa
15-03-2007, 12:15 PM
maybe a bit more seperation between some of the sounds would sort your kick 'problem'. i think the kikc itsel fis fine but all the elements muddy it up a little.

apart from that i'm digging this, melodic without being wussy... nice work fella.

BloodStar
17-03-2007, 02:06 PM
great track, man. I am really enjoying it. lushy sounds you have got there,. really nice. production part of thing sounds good to me. would like to hear complete track..

Tyrisia
23-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks again guys, I've worked on this a little more, backed the verb off a touch as it was a bit caked, so that's cleared the clutter a bit, although it's difficult as there's about five or six pads goin at once on this, and cuttin them too much will knacker the impact they've got, and I'll loose the lushness.

I'll post where I've got to, I'm pretty happy with it now but I'm not gonna post the whole thing as I'm startin a small label up soon and it's gonna be one track from the launch releases, more info on that when it happens:)

detfella
25-03-2007, 05:37 PM
kick seems hidden by the ambience/effects in low freqs. nice detail in the structure and jogs along nicely

montydj
26-03-2007, 05:21 AM
Hi mate love this style of music i have a great CD mixed by Blu Peter with all this on it,funny enough i have just starting writing a tune like this sort of style.This has a nice pace nice feel and very intelligent which shows signs of a mature Producer.I have a low frequency area in my studio where i eq my low frequency of my mix and have a blast of my tunes,you have to much sub in your bassline which is over powering your kick,take a thin cut out of your sub on your bassline and put a little top end on your kick or high mid {it is hard to say tbh} but not a lot,also side chain you bass line with your kickdrum so everytime your kick plays your bassline will dip in volume and making them both seperate,but just have a fiddle around untill you get it right...

Also!

Mute all your sounds except for your kick and bassline,for me your aim is to get your kick standing out a little more that your bassline once you have that right then starting unmuting your others sounds and place them where you want them with volume keeping in mind you need your kick a little louder than the rest of all your other sounds in your tune looking forward to the end result mate i really like this tune...Monty...

Tyrisia
27-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Cheers Montydj, that's really great feedback, and everything you've said makes alot of sense, I've just switched from Absolute 2's to KRK KRoks and the bass on the KRK's are totally different, the detail is there but I'm used to the boominess of the Spirits to judge my bass.

I tried backin off the low regions of the bass a bit and yeah I got loads more kik, and with a few tweeks on the kik got everything sitting ok, although now I'm not sure but I think the kik might be a bit prominent. There's also a subtle cut in the bass region over the whole track to reduce muddiness low down, but I'd really appreciate it if you'd run it through you're bass lab again to see if it's still too bassy, coz if it is it's the kik I'd say, coz there's no bass notes where the kik sits anyways, so the sub problem may well be the kik.

update (http://www.tyrisia.co.uk/resenttest2.mp3)

montydj
27-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Hi mate,i am sure i can hear you kick much more on this one which sounds a lot better i can hear the thump of the kick which that is what you want,i have a great CD which i told you about mixed by Blu Peter same style as this tune your making if you want me to upload it to You Send It for you i will it is a free CD anyway that came with a magazine so you can listen to there mix down's etc.

I would try to copy there mix down as much as possible get yours sounding like there but you could save your tune again for extra experiment so you have always got your old one...Monty...

Tyrisia
28-03-2007, 12:28 PM
That'd be really helpful monty, a good referance would be really useful to see how it's done, cheers.

montydj
28-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Check your PM let me know if you have got it...Monty...

loopdon
29-03-2007, 01:49 AM
Really good. Insanely good!! What an atmosphere woaah

Technical:

Kick needs to cut through more. Louder+more top end --> different sample

Mids to high, tone down a little.

As said before, some A/bing with a released track of similar style should fix this easily.

BIG HIT!

Tyrisia
29-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Glad u like Loopdon, I've had a bit of a go at it today, especially the kik, which I had on a low pass filter with a bit of resonance to add top, so it wasn't so much the sample that was the problem but my use of the filter that was makin it lack top end, also I cut the sub frequencies on the kik a bit to unclutter things. Kik's arent my strong point hehe.

Mid and highs I'm pretty happy with, just backed off one particular hihat loop that was stickin out a bit, well noticed mate, it has made it roll better.

loopdon
29-03-2007, 08:55 PM
You might want to try Voxengo's GlissEq. With that eq you can use spectral overlay with two sounds to find out exactly where they cancel each other out/muddy up.

Load one instance on say kickdrum and one instance of the plugin on bass and the two spectra will be represented with a different colur each for both channels in one instance. I reckon a screenshot will explay this better:

http://www.voxengo.com/files/scrn/glisseq281.jpg

http://www.voxengo.com/product/glisseq/

In that screenshot i reckon the blue line is the kickdrum's spectrum and the greenish one is the bassline.

Tyrisia
29-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Cheers Loopdon, that looks like a well handy bit of kit, I'll look into it.

278d7e64a374de26f==