PDA

View Full Version : R3tox Records Store Now Open

RDR
21-02-2007, 09:51 AM
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t58/dodgyedgy/r3toxlogo.jpg

R3TOX ONLINE (http://www.r3tox.co.uk)

Who are we?

We are a small online record shop based in Selby in North Yorkshire. We sell Vinyl dance music records and games for consoles.

What vinyl do we sell that you might be interested in?

We sell Techno, Trance, Hard Dance, Breaks and House.

Are we expensive?

NOT AT ALL! with records starting from 99pence!

What sort of payments do we accept?

For the moment we only accept paypal but will be offering other payment methods very shortly.

Email and contact details are on the site, please feel free to browse and to purchase. Thanks!

crime
21-02-2007, 10:47 AM
your audio player seems to work in a really strange way in firefox, there are no volume controls or ability to skip through the track, and starting a new preview doesn't stop an old one... so you end up with a cacophony of all the trax on an e.p. together ;)

RDR
21-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Just click on the already playing one to stop it.

Thanks for visiting the store and the feedback. I wish it was in my power to cure the problem, its not really my business im helping promote it for a friend.

TechMouse
21-02-2007, 11:35 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again... I hate sites which rely on Flash.

crime
21-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Just click on the already playing one to stop it.

Thanks for visiting the store and the feedback. I wish it was in my power to cure the problem, its not really my business im helping promote it for a friend.

fair enough, perhaps it would be an idea to pass the feedback on, as it's things like this that personally put me off (and potentially put other people off) using a website..

RDR
21-02-2007, 01:44 PM

What does the r3tox site rely on then?

RDR
21-02-2007, 01:45 PM
fair enough, perhaps it would be an idea to pass the feedback on, as it's things like this that personally put me off (and potentially put other people off) using a website..

Cheers mate i will do that.

dan the acid man
21-02-2007, 01:48 PM
hope it's a success, loads of nice records on there, the only thing i'd add is a little info underneath where you play the tracks telling you exactly what to do, such as press icon to play, press once more to stop playing

dirty_bass
21-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Good luck to the boys on this. It`s great to hear about record shops OPENING these days.

TechMouse
21-02-2007, 02:31 PM
What does the r3tox site rely on then?
It uses Flash to play audio samples, I think.

RDR
21-02-2007, 02:52 PM
It uses Flash to play audio samples, I think.

So it relies on flash to play sounds but nothing else?

TechMouse
21-02-2007, 03:51 PM
So it relies on flash to play sounds but nothing else?
That's about the size of it.

RDR
21-02-2007, 05:37 PM
so its not a flash based site then is it.

DannyBlack
21-02-2007, 05:55 PM

cheers for the site man. do you mind if i promote it on another site?

RDR
21-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Thats fine chief

Please promote away!

DannyBlack
21-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Thats fine chief

Please promote away!

cool beans mate, cheers!

TechMouse
21-02-2007, 06:37 PM
When did I say it was?

DannyBlack
21-02-2007, 06:50 PM
come on lads, its all good. no need to squabble (sp?)

TechMouse
21-02-2007, 06:55 PM
come on lads, its all good. no need to squabble (sp?)
It's OK, me & Chris love each other really.

Too much, possibly.

DannyBlack
21-02-2007, 07:14 PM
It's OK, me & Chris love each other really.

Too much, possibly.

:laughing:

oh right, fair enough so! :laughing:

eyeswithoutaface
21-02-2007, 08:06 PM
good luck with this, my only gripe would be it seems it's all predominantly old stock, couldnt see that many releases and im not into seeing older releases stocked for labels when they have really recent records out but they are not in stock, am i right in guessing this is something to do with the remnants of Tune inn and this is old stock they had left over?

good luck of course

RDR
21-02-2007, 10:53 PM

Did you intend this for another thread?

RDR
21-02-2007, 10:55 PM
good luck with this, my only gripe would be it seems it's all predominantly old stock, couldnt see that many releases and im not into seeing older releases stocked for labels when they have really recent records out but they are not in stock, am i right in guessing this is something to do with the remnants of Tune inn and this is old stock they had left over?

good luck of course

Nail firmly struck on head. Hence the lower prices. But there are still some good tunes to be had there. And once we got rid of a few we can start ordering in some new ones. We eventually hope to get digital downloads as well. but for the moment its vinyl.

eyeswithoutaface
21-02-2007, 11:59 PM
sweet nice one

big luck as you know chief :)

RDR
22-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks scott!

Will PM you soon, i have a couple of questions.

Cheers

chris.

TechMouse
22-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Did you intend this for another thread?
The website requires the Flash plugin to play audio clips.

Do you normally buy records without listening to them first?

As such, the website relies upon Flash for it's purpose.

I never said it was "Flash-based", just that it relies on Flash.

DannyBlack
22-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Nail firmly struck on head. Hence the lower prices. But there are still some good tunes to be had there. And once we got rid of a few we can start ordering in some new ones. We eventually hope to get digital downloads as well. but for the moment its vinyl.

lots of savage vinyl on there. cant beat the old stuff!

RDR
22-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Do you normally buy records without listening to them first?

A spurious comment.

As such, the website relies upon Flash for it's purpose.

Yup.. it does indeed. Get flash innit.

I never said it was "Flash-based", just that it relies on Flash.

Either way what you said was meant in a negative or smart arse fashion mark. I DONT appreciate that and i really wish you would qualify your comments instead of using them as some kind of verbal battering ram. Espeically considering this is something that is obviously important to me and the people i work with.

I understand you dont like sites which have flash in them, like ours. But you have not even made a comment about the the store selling music. So please if you feel like making such glib comments at least qualify them.

Oh, and BTW i do know this is the internet, but this is also something i worked hard to get off the ground and dont appreciate you pissing on us. for the record i didnt write the site.

/Rant.

(nowt personal mate, honestly, but i cant let it pass... you enraged me.)

TechMouse
22-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Yup.. it does indeed. Get flash innit.
Sadly I can't install flash on this PC as I don't have administrator privileges.

Annoying...

Either way what you said was meant in a negative or smart arse fashion mark. I DONT appreciate that and i really wish you would qualify your comments instead of using them as some kind of verbal battering ram. Espeically considering this is something that is obviously important to me and the people i work with.

I understand you dont like sites which have flash in them, like ours. But you have not even made a comment about the the store selling music. So please if you feel like making such glib comments at least qualify them.

Oh, and BTW i do know this is the internet, but this is also something i worked hard to get off the ground and dont appreciate you pissing on us. for the record i didnt write the site.

/Rant.

(nowt personal mate, honestly, but i cant let it pass... you enraged me.)
Sorry for posting negative comments, but since I couldn't really use the site at all that was the only thing I could say about it.

I did have a look when I got home yesterday, and - if there is any chance of redeeming myself at all - it's very promising indeed. As someone (Steve?) said it's great to see shops opening for a change, and I wish you and everyone else involved the best of luck. Hell, I might even buy some tunes.

However, my criticism still stands... there are some people - particularly people who use the internet at work - who will be unable to use your site. For the sake of just linking to mp3 clips (like Juno, Banging Tunes etc.) rather than taking the unnecessary step of going through Flash, you open up your site to a larger potential customer base. It's just good business sense.

Really sorry I've got your back up dude. I should have phrased my initial comment more constructively. I apologise.

SwiV
22-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks to Dodgy for giving us the plug, I welcome all comments good and bad.
Firstly I'd like to say YES our site uses flash to play the samples. This is because it was cheaper and easier to code the site in this way. To use a player like QuickTime/windows media etc costs a lot is buying the technology from the owners, getting licenses, paying subscriptions etc. This then allows us to keep setup and running costs to a minimum therefore allowing us to keep our product costs low, giving our customers better value.

So I'd like to ask the question....Would anyone prefer to pay more for their records and use a built-in player to listen to them first???

I admit the functionality isn’t the best on the market, but being the best isn't our intention. We just want to sell music at a reasonable price to people that want to buy it.... and yes there's a lot of old stock, some of which is my own collection, some of it has been bought in large bundles from many different people/places. I used to work at Tune Inn so yes, some is their old stock too.
There's still only 50% available on-line so far and there's much more to add. So if anyone is after a particular track feel free to ask, we may have a copy...... There will be new releases added once we have all the current stock available to buy and we are shifting stuff.

Again thanks for the comments!

DannyBlack
22-02-2007, 03:48 PM
i will be ordering from you no doubt. your records are at a damn good price, so cheer s for the link and i have put it on a site i mod in ireland. thanx and best of luck!

TechMouse
22-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Firstly I'd like to say YES our site uses flash to play the samples. This is because it was cheaper and easier to code the site in this way. To use a player like QuickTime/windows media etc costs a lot is buying the technology from the owners, getting licenses, paying subscriptions etc. This then allows us to keep setup and running costs to a minimum therefore allowing us to keep our product costs low, giving our customers better value.
How does it cost you anything to just put hyperlinks to mp3 files, which will automatically play in whatever Media Player people have installed? See Juno for a well executed example of this.

Apologies if I'm coming across as a bit of a cunt, but I'm a bit of an evangelist for open technology. Proprietary technologies such as flash contribute to the "vendor lock-in" we're seeing in much of the internet, plus render your site unusable to a minority of users.

I appreciate this might not be something you're that bothered about, but I'm just trying to be helpful and offer my opinion. I'm not just trying to to piss on your collective chips for some kind of perverse enjoyment.

Aside from that, congratulations on a very promising site. Takes balls to try something like this, and as I said previously I wish you all the luck in the world.

I might well buy some of the Miditonal stuff you have in stock...

SwiV
22-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Having used Juno I fail to see these hyperlinks...Or I'm missing a trick, the WMA's use media player, the MP3's use quicktime. Yes this may be a default player on my PC but I'm sure the site was built to work in that way. To play mp3's via hyperlinks doesn't work with our FTP setup, but I'm keen to hear how it's done other than using an external file-share system such as savefile.com this is how I host live/dj/mixes ect...But to get large amounts of data hosted in this manner costs money. The Juno site is amongst the best around and they would have paid a lot for this, they can afford it, they've been around for years. So again back to our aim of offering value for your hard-earned cash. Admittedly yes we could be loosing potential customers who use the net at work...but hey, your at work remember! Not wanting to sound like tw@t but I've been fired before myself for using the internet at work for my own purposes.....So it may be a good thing, I'd hate a punter to get fired because of us....It's one thing to bear in mind when we upgrade to MP3 sales, we could do it on the cheap right now but we're gonna see how the shop does initially before I pump more of my own money into the venture......

If anyone is serious about buying from us, have a look at what you want and email us through the site and I'll offer a discount. Presently we use PayPal to process our credit/debit and paypal payments. If you want to send a cheque or put a deposit in our account then we can bypass the paypal charges, again giving better value. As this is a new venture we're quite keen to start to recoup the cost of setting this up, so I'm more than open to offers on what we have.
We're getting the new Xbox360 / PSP titles in too for all the gamer fans (we're the chapest on the net for lost planet) and we've placed our pre-order for PS3 for anyone thats gonna wants one ;-)

TechMouse
22-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Having used Juno I fail to see these hyperlinks...Or I'm missing a trick, the WMA's use media player, the MP3's use quicktime. Yes this may be a default player on my PC but I'm sure the site was built to work in that way.
Well, that depends on your configuration.

Hovver your mouse over one of the little headphones icons... you'll see in your status bar it's just a link to an mp3 or a wma. It depends how your browser is set up. Some will play the file in a little embedded media player / quicktime in the browser. Some download and play in WMP or WinAMP or whatever. Either way, it will work on any system which has a browser and a media player installed.

To play mp3's via hyperlinks doesn't work with our FTP setup, but I'm keen to hear how it's done other than using an external file-share system such as savefile.com this is how I host live/dj/mixes ect...
Presumably the little Flash objects must be downloading the snippets from somewhere? IE, Firefox, Camino, Opera and practically every other web browser in the world can use ftp download links.

To be honest I'd need to know more about your specific setup, but there are always ways around Flash.

But to get large amounts of data hosted in this manner costs money. The Juno site is amongst the best around and they would have paid a lot for this, they can afford it, they've been around for years. So again back to our aim of offering value for your hard-earned cash.

As I said before, I didn't mean to come off quite so derogatory in the first place. I was genuinely trying to offer helpful advice. This sort of thing is what I do for a living and I have a bit of a tendency to voice my opinion. I assumed feedback would be appreciated, but I do understand that my tone might have seemed a little antagonistic.

I feel quite bad now, because you're obviously trying to offer a good service for the lowest price possible, and I can see how my comments sounded harsh in the context. I do have genuine admiration for what you're trying to do. Massive respect etc.

Bet I've screwed any chances of a DJ slot at Pure Techno now, right?

Admittedly yes we could be loosing potential customers who use the net at work...but hey, your at work remember! Not wanting to sound like tw@t but I've been fired before myself for using the internet at work for my own purposes.....So it may be a good thing, I'd hate a punter to get fired because of us....
We're allowed reasonable personal internet usage here.

Of course it varies from employer to employer, so caution advised.

RDR
22-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Of course not mark... you are always welcome. You know that!

We have recently changed venue due to the rhythm rooms being shut down and are moving to the welly club as i recall, might take us a while to get on solid ground again but we would love to do a gig swap with you and pure filth. Im not only talking about me, but im sure swiv, andy maily, biskit or tony sowerby would be well up for it.

Peace.

(sorry about being an arse earlier... and i was an arse.. and i am an arse ingeneral anyway...i read my other comments.. :ohdear: )

RDR
22-02-2007, 10:25 PM
i will be ordering from you no doubt. your records are at a damn good price, so cheer s for the link and i have put it on a site i mod in ireland. thanx and best of luck!

Really appreciate that mate. thanks a lot!

TechMouse
23-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Peace.
Respect, Chris.

As always. ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==