Electric City
26-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Electric Shock #10

Saturday March 10th @ Temple Bar Music Centre

Klang Records Party:

Johannes Heil - LIVE [Klang / Cocoon - Frankfurt]
Roman Flugel [Klang / Alter Ego - Frankfurt]
Eddie Brennan [Electric City]

Wishing he had an automatic press release creator, the Electric Copy copywriter settled down to put together the hottest of letters and punctuation to sell the show. First up to mind came one of the heroes of techno music, Roman Flugel. This Frankfurter has been at the forefront since the early 90s whether with partner Jörn Elling Wuttke as Acid Jesus & Alter Ego or solo as Soylent Green, 8 Miles High and Ro70, Flugel has been rocking things for a long time. Roman is part of the Klang Elektronik / Playhouse / Ongaku axis of labels which he considers his constant home base, not only as an musician but also as an A & R for other artists such as Isolee, Losoul and Ricardo Villalobos. He knocked us out with a killer set when last he played in 2005 and we're having more of the same this time to keep our 4th birthday celebrations alive.

Making a return appearance will be Johannes Heil, one of the most ingenious techno producers of the last decade, playing live live live. He's been making techno history since 1998 and produced six albums and countless EPs on Kobayashi, Kanzleramt, as well as his own J.H. Records label and many others. Back then hard techno was the sound of the time, and his first album 'Reality To Midi' featuring the techno classic 'Paranoid Dancer' proved his unusual talent for simple rough tracks that soon heralded the sound of a new techno generation with their bass line and unique way of dealing with fragments of melodies as well as filtered vocals. His bow to Detroit and Chicago is never retro or old-school, but always aimed at the core of the track and its maximum club effect. Co-productions with DJ Hell or Sven Vath followed. His last albums, such as 'Heilstyle' '20.000 Leagues Under The Skins' and 'The World' on Anthony Rother's Datapunk label matched the production standard, but were more introverted and more interested in mystical or mythical connections than taking techno to another level - as was Johannes Heil himself at the time. Last years album on Klang, Freaks R Us opened him up to a new audience and he stole the show when playing with Dr. Lectroluv at ES last year.

First up is Eddie Brennan for his first shock appearance of 07. Ready to whip it up from 11 sharp, EC regulars know Eddie is a super sharp Serato shooter so get down early to check him out.

All tickets bought for our 4th Birthday with Modeselektor on March 8th at Electric City will enable you to get entry to this Klang Party for only 15 euro. Tickets for Modeselektor won't wait around - get on to Gerry in Big Brother pronto!

EC Ticket Bureau at www.tickets.ie / City Discs

Electric Shock #10

Saturday March 10th @ Temple Bar Music Centre

Klang Records Party:

Johannes Heil - LIVE [Klang / Cocoon - Frankfurt]
Roman Flugel [Klang / Alter Ego - Frankfurt]

Doors 11PM / Tickets e22.50 + b/fee

Electric Shock #11

Saturday April 14th @ Temple Bar Music Centre

CLR Party:

Chris Liebing [CLR / Novamute - Frankfurt]
Brian Sanhaji - LIVE [CLR / Enable Recordings - Frankfurt]
Dan McElligott [Electric City]

Electric Shock #12

Saturday May 26th at Temple Bar Music Centre

DJ Funk [Funk Records / Dance Mania - Chicago]
Alden Tyrell - LIVE [Clone / Viewlexx - Rotterdam]
Dan Power [Electric City]

Electric Shock #13

Saturday June 9th at Temple Bar Music Centre

Sino Records Party:

Technasia - DJ Set [Sino - Paris / Hong Kong]
Joris Voorn - LIVE [Sino - Rotterdam]

To subscribe to the Electric City members list send a mail with 'subscribe' in the Subject field to: electricitypromotions@eircom.net

Electric City
28-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Hello,

Electric Shock 10 rolls into the Temple Bar Music Centre on Saturday March 10 with the return of Johannes Heil [Live] and Roman Flugel [DJ]. We have three sets of double passes to giveaway. The correct answer must reach us by Wednesday March 7:

The two natives of Frankfurt have the misfortune to follow a currently unsuccessful football team. It wasn't always the case though and Eintracht Frankfurt contested the first ever European Cup Final.
But who were there opponents on this seminal occasion?

e) F.C. Roma(n)
f) Real Madrid
c) Real Shelbourne

Best of luck....

E C 10

Electric City
05-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Roman Flugel -

In action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLuEqIwGaxw

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY3NeUlRmgc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVJSTTvJ23I

Interview:

http://www.higher-frequency.com/e_interview/roman_flugel/index.htm

Chart:

Ichundu – Hey [Souvenir Music]

Roman: “This is a new label by the Tiefschwarz guys. It’s one of my favourite records at the moment, the Tiefschwarz retouch especially. It’s very melodic but at the same time it’s melancholic, and it still works in the club, which I think is a very interesting combination. It also opens a new chapter for them because it’s their first own label. They’re not just sticking to the formula anymore.” [listen]

Andre Krom & Tigerskin – NotaufnahmeAndre Krom & Tigerskin – Notaufnahme [Liebe Detail]

Roman: “This is another one that I’m playing constantly this year. Ande Krom is from Dusseldorf I think. What I like about the record is that is has a lot of bleep. And I’m back into bleeps again for some reason. It’s very groovy and I really like the bleeps and the way he works with the delay effects on the bleeps. It has a brilliant breakdown and it works great out in the club.”[listen]

Stephan Bodzin – PendulumStephan Bodzin – Pendulum [Spiel-Zeug Schallplatten]
Stephan Bodzin – Kerosene [Herzblut]

Roman: “Bodzin works with Oliver Huntemann as a producer and he’s also working for Thomas Schumacher. I play at least two or three of his records at the moment. He’s found his own sound. He’s very genuine in the way he does the production. Very powerful. Somehow it’s both techno and it’s trance (but the better side of trance) at the same time. It’s not cheesy. I think he knows what he’s doing very well. He reaches the heart of the people on the dancefloor but at the same time he produces with a clear mind. Yeah, he’s very clear in his head. He knows exactly what he’s doing.” [listen]

The Knife - We Share Our Mothers' Health (Radio Slave's Secret Base Remix)
REKID - Next Stop Chicago [REKID]

Roman: “I play a couple of Radio Slave tracks. The one on Rekid somehow reminds me of ‘This is Sick’ by Solid Groove, but at the same time it’s more ****ed up I think. And the other one, The Knife remix, is very noisy. There’s a huge white noise break and it builds up constantly for eight minutes or so. It’s something that you can pull out when it comes time to play the noisy stuff in the club. I remixed his ‘My Bleep’. For some reason it turned out to be pretty trancey, quite unusual for my kind of production. Matt does a lot of remixes. Sometimes I don’t think people ask him to do it, he just does it and spreads the remix by sending out an mp3. Then suddenly, if it works, record companies ask him to do it officially. I think that’s how it works somehow.”

Ricardo Villalobos - Fizheuer ZieheuerRicardo Villalobos - Fizheuer Zieheuer [Playhouse]

Roman: “This is from our own label, the new Ricardo Villalobos. I think it might be the longest techno track in history! The original version is about forty-five minutes long. We’re putting out a 12” that is cut in the middle, so if you turn over the record you will have the second half of it. You have about forty-five minutes on the vinyl and we have a CD with two versions that is about sixty-five minutes long. It’s only one track. Ricardo plays it in a very unique way – he plays it for forty-five minutes underneath a couple of different tracks. It goes on for ten minutes or so and suddenly this huge brass that he sampled from Gypsy records comes in. It is a totally different world that comes as a big surprise for people in the club. The reactions are incredible. Two different things are coming together on the track – it’s super-long and still very interesting because he plays around with his Eventide effects section, which is a very expensive effects processor from the eighties I think. He plays around with the parameters of the snare drum and some other sounds. If you listen carefully, you will see that it’s not only about the length of the record, it’s also about the things he’s doing inside the track.”

2000 & One – Freak That2000 & One – Freak That [Intacto]
Microfunk – The White Room [Remote Area]

Roman: “I play two records by 2000 & One at the moment. The first is ‘The White Room’, which is very minimal but very funky music. And the other one is ‘Freak That’. 2000 & One used to be very much Detroit but now I think it’s more hi-tech than the classics. But the basic feeling of it, the groove, is still very Detroit influenced.”

Electric City
07-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Hello again!

Electric Shock hits double figures this Saturday as the EC 4th birthday party celebrations continue at the Temple Bar Music Centre. The Warrior of Light, Johannes Heil returns to belt out his live show with support from one half of Alter Ego Roman Flugel and Electric Shock resident Eddie Brennan. Tickets are on sale from City Discs / Tickets.ie and there will be some available at the door on the night. Don't forget - if you're one of the lucky ones who have a ticket for Modeselektor, then hold on to the stub and show it at the TBMC for e15 entry - result!

Thanks for all the answers to our trick [it even tricked us!] question. We were surprised how many people answered correctly. Winners have now been notified by Jeff Stelling.

Beifall!

E C

Visuals by Coolhandloop

Coolhandloop has been doing live visuals for in Dublin and around different venues in Ireland for a little over 2 years. He started doing visuals in 1210 a house music night down in the Legal Eagle before he came resident vj at hospital and acii disco. Currently he is one of resident vjs in stasis, an audio video collective that has nights in the Pogo and the Bernard Shaw boozer. The majority of the visuals are filmed by themselves and they like using visuals with people in them [none of them trippy psychedelic colours!]. For more info check out his myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/coolhandloop

Johannes Heil in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHo1KwvSxqg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6aUvEA_MNA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_2753xUoac
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-621782765507456230&q=johannes+heil

278d7e64a374de26f==