PDA

View Full Version : Acid techno / techno dj set database

Barnz
25-02-2007, 07:32 PM
I originally posted this in the Acid Techno forum but was advised to post it here as it might get more response: -

Who here would like to see an Acid Techno dj mix database?

The database is searchable and displayed to you through a user interface. The reason I am asking is because I have already developed a feature like this on my website. The feature is ran as a Web Service, meaning any website can plug into its interface and use the functionality it offers.

I have also created a ready made PHP client program that people can install on their websites, including this one. The client program on this website can be configured to only search the "Techno" category etc.

Basically no database is needed on this website, as data is streamed directly from my website on request. The database already has some Techno mixes in it. But I feel having the feature installed on this website would mean more Techno mixes being submitted by people.

There is no cache, you simply upload the PHP script to your web server, change the template to match your websites design and feel. And away you go, your users can search and submit mixes to and from the database hosted on my web server. There is no link to my website, and your users never have to leave this website to use the functionality, basically your users will not know that the service is being provided my website, it will look exactly like a feature on your website and leave no trace to my website.

I would also just like to point out I have been trying to get other websites "mainly trance based" involved in this idea for a while now, and I have only been met with suspicion and ignorance. So cmon people I say we install the feature on here. I am not trying to sponge your website traffic, as like I say it leaves no trace to my website. I am simply trying to build a better database of mixes, searchable by anybody across any website or platform (including desktop apps). Anybody can build their own application that plugs into its interface.

You will never know unless you try, its completely free. All it will cost is a small amount of time to upload the script to your web server. If you do not have time to customise to match your websites design I can do it for you, no probs.

MARK ANXIOUS
28-02-2007, 03:52 AM
hi mate.. really apppreciate the offer but sorting out a section for mix uploads and links to tie in with the boa forum is actually on my list of things to do for here anyway. i really wanna keep it all tied in specifically to this site, rather than use other sites - basically cause that's why we built this place in the first place. hope you understand where i'm coming from here. :cool:

Barnz
28-02-2007, 05:49 PM
hi mate.. really apppreciate the offer but sorting out a section for mix uploads and links to tie in with the boa forum is actually on my list of things to do for here anyway. i really wanna keep it all tied in specifically to this site, rather than use other sites - basically cause that's why we built this place in the first place. hope you understand where i'm coming from here. :cool:

But you are tied into other websites. For instance your forum VBulletin is not specific to your website. Anyone can purchase a copy and install VBulletin on their websites, thus meaning it is not unique to your website but loads of other websites. The only difference is your posts and topics are unique to your website, but in terms of dj mixes why would you want your own unique set of dj mixes specific to your website rather than just joining in on what might be the biggest music directory ever.

You imagine if enough sites like yours got submitting mixes I might be able to then approach a website like DSI and have all their users submit their mixes aswell. It could be huge if you gave it a chance. A huge searchable dj directory which any website can plug into and share.

What baffles me the most is.....

How all this "free party scene" is suppose to be about "free music", "free spirits and people" and "free parties".

But when it comes down to it, your about as open as the next money grabbing business person out there. The idea is against exactly what your saying, its not about websites each having their own set of dj mixes submitted by their users.

Its about an open music search engine, which any user can search and submit mixes too, and any website can plug into its interface in a form which completely resembles your website i.e. design is the same, no links to my website etc, there is no catches.

I do not understand why you would want your own specific music directory when you could have tons more mixes by sharing yours and theirs mixes with mine and other websites.

Just to clarify aswell, the mixes submitted to the mix engine are submitted by people, not websites. Meaning mixes are not hosted on any specific website server. People simply submit the "link" to the mix.

dan the acid man
28-02-2007, 07:05 PM
if you want this database to be so big, and you're all for being open minded, why limit this to one form of music then?

Barnz
28-02-2007, 07:33 PM
if you want this database to be so big, and you're all for being open minded, why limit this to one form of music then?

It is not limited to one form of music. Any style of music can be submitted if a category does not exist for a style of music someone wants to submit I will make that category.

What I was saying is though, if any site wants it to be specific to a style of music they can set an option which will allow only that style of music to be searched etc.

dan the acid man
28-02-2007, 08:26 PM
It's just with you saying "Who here would like to see an Acid Techno dj mix database?"
i assumed it was strictly acid techno only, anyway, it's all by the by now anyway, good luck with your site

MARK ANXIOUS
01-03-2007, 03:55 AM
But when it comes down to it, your about as open as the next money grabbing business person out there.

well that's a great comment to start a good discussion with. :grr:

i actually would be interested in something like this, once i have built things up better on the site. and i would do my research and approach the right person for the job.

but i'm not sure i like your attitude here. on the one hand you're asking me if i'd like to join in something then on the next you're saying 'join me or you're a money grabbing bastard like everyone else'.

you've not got any cv saying you can do what you are saying you want to do and you want me to automatically say 'oh yeah, no problem mate, let's share resources and join together'. if you really wanted to be professional about this, you would have done your research, approached the owner of the site (namely me) in a much more private and pro manner.

it's no wonder you're getting people's back's up.

Barnz
01-03-2007, 02:55 PM
It's just with you saying "Who here would like to see an Acid Techno dj mix database?"
i assumed it was strictly acid techno only, anyway, it's all by the by now anyway, good luck with your site

Sorry yeah I should have not put Acid Techno specifically. Cheers.

Barnz
01-03-2007, 03:10 PM
well that's a great comment to start a good discussion with. :grr:

i actually would be interested in something like this, once i have built things up better on the site. and i would do my research and approach the right person for the job.

but i'm not sure i like your attitude here. on the one hand you're asking me if i'd like to join in something then on the next you're saying 'join me or you're a money grabbing bastard like everyone else'.

you've not got any cv saying you can do what you are saying you want to do and you want me to automatically say 'oh yeah, no problem mate, let's share resources and join together'. if you really wanted to be professional about this, you would have done your research, approached the owner of the site (namely me) in a much more private and pro manner.

it's no wonder you're getting people's back's up.

Sorry I said that.

What do you mean CV?
What can I do that will make you wanna join?

"you want me to automatically say 'oh yeah, no problem mate, let's share resources and join together'"

That would be great! :)

278d7e64a374de26f==