PDA

View Full Version : This may seem a bit thick....

tonyc2002
27-02-2007, 09:41 AM
but whats situation should you use a limiter and how similar are they to compressors?

loopdon
27-02-2007, 10:04 AM
I'd use a limiter over a master. Limiters are compressors, the ratio used is what separates the two.

"Compressor - Limiter, What is the Difference Between Them?

There is quite a bit of confusion about the difference between a compressor and a limiter. The knobs are the same. Many compressors are labled as a Compressor/Limiter. They both seem to process dynamic levels and work the same way.

So what is the difference?

The main difference is the Ratio. A limiter uses a Ratio of 10:1 - 100:1 or more, while a compressor will use a Ratio of 10:1 or less. With the compressor using a lower ratio, we can compress at a lower threshold with out killing the track from too much gain reduction and use it on a larger part of the track's dynamic range, were as the Limiter should be used more often on sources that have peaks or spikes. It is important to understand that they both can be functional for most duties, but one can usually perform better then the other depending on the need.

For example:

Want to reduce peaks so you can increase the average level an extreme amount? - Use a limiter

Want to achieve a more consistent average level and not crush the peaks? - Use a compressor.

You like the way your track sounds but have a few unwanted peaks? - Use a limiter.

Want to bring up a few quiet parts of the track? - Use a compressor."

http://www.recordingproject.com/articles/article.php?article=6&page=4

Others say limiting starts at 20:1, not 10:1. Just to add to the confusion

:)

Another article:

http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/techtips/d--02/03/1998

tonyc2002
27-02-2007, 10:06 AM
thanks man :;

danielmarshall
24-03-2007, 01:07 AM
Not a stupid question at all actually ;) I scratched my head many a time on this issue when I was first learning about compression. Funny how sometimes even the easy answers are hard to find.

Jay Pace
24-03-2007, 03:50 AM
a limiter is a compressor

Just used to limit volume, rather than "beefing up" through compression. Same thing though

So its down to use really

278d7e64a374de26f==