PDA

View Full Version : Software Vs Hardware

KEVIL
06-01-2003, 12:50 PM
Basically I'm wanting to buy the new Roland MC909 and the would like to know whether I would be disadvantaged by such a purchase with the end result of hopeing to release material.

I've been playing with Cubase SX, Fruity and other comparatable programs but for me I like things sorta more practical. Being an electrician, I'm very hands on and find software very boring, hence my attention span is quite short when I sit in front of the PC, even if I'm enjoying what I'm producing.

With hardware, such like the RM1X that I used to own, I for some reason can only find enjoyment and focus using such equipment.

Since the MC909 is worth 4 and a half grand AUD, I'd hate to see the end result unusable.

Any feedback would be much appreciated...as you can probably tell I'm rather green in the production side of things :)

Anonymous
06-01-2003, 01:27 PM
if you buy that MC groove crap you are a sucker.

Anonymous
07-01-2003, 06:27 AM
So how do you get around not having to use a PC. Or is there no other way? BTW, extremely helpfull info Gunjack. Cheers.

lunatrick
07-01-2003, 11:59 AM
Not sure about the mc909, but I've used both hard and soft (oo er!), and I know people who swear by both, so it's a question of taste really. you can get good results either way. If you definately want hardware I would go for something like an akai mpc coupled with a good synth from roland or novation. Where the pc would come in handy here is recording your tune into soundforge or t-racks and then applying some compression and eq to finish it off...but equally you could just dump it onto dat. I'm not the most experienced person however as I 've only released one tune, but there's my two pennies!

Anonymous
07-01-2003, 02:54 PM
cheers back at ya holmes. anyway, why don't you just make your own .wav sounds and load them into reason?

ViperXXL
08-01-2003, 01:47 AM
cheers back at ya holmes. anyway, why don't you just make your own .wav sounds and load them into reason?

or Fruity - hehe :D

rock
11-02-2003, 03:57 AM
--Kevil

I have the MC909 its not crap...and i dont care if i owned it or i dont..i tell it like it is..if it sucked id take it back. BUT U DEFINATELY ...before u do anything..u have to download the OS update from roland on their website..www.rolandus.com (and look for mc909 and the update) it fixed all my problems with the sequencer and the OS.
Otherwise its a nice unit...
later

Basil Rush
11-02-2003, 09:32 PM
Get an access virus which has plenty of knobs to keep you happy and a nice custom built audio computer. Run something audio based on the PC, Nuendo is looking like the weapon of choice at the moment on the PC or Logic Audio - but support for this is dead tragicallyon that platform. You'll want to have the most powerful audio thing you can get your hands on in the end.

Get the biggest sample library that you can get your hands on. The MC909 does look pretty cool, but I couldn't face writing a track on anything smaller than a 19" monitor and once you've tried it you'll not want to go back. And if you don't like one piece of audio software on the PC you can always find one you do like ...

Jimfish
11-02-2003, 09:37 PM
basil rush.....hahahaha
hahaha
like it!

278d7e64a374de26f==