PDA

View Full Version : imagination of dreams

DORYL_ROY
05-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Here is a track ive been working on called imagination of dreams. I decided to give the net a bash as my responses have been limited from various labels. im under no illusions that what im making is done to a good standard i would just like some constructive feedback to help in the production of my tracks so that maybe one day ill be able to create some half decent techno. i have listened to many of your tracks and have enjoyed quite alot but i do not feel i am in the position to give any feedback myself because truth be told i dont know what im doing. If any of you could take the time to download my track and have a listen then leave any feedback you are willing to give good or bad it will be much appreciated.

thank you
Doryl Roy

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z1UGPPUJ

Subotic
05-03-2007, 11:11 AM
mate i will gladly post some feedback
but i'm having trouble downloading from megaupload
so if you could upload it to any other share server
i'll check it out

DORYL_ROY
05-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Heres the link to another download site if mega upload is not working.

http://rapidshare.com/files/19533139/Imagination_of_dreams.wma

Subotic
05-03-2007, 06:08 PM
ok i listened to your track
there is a lot of work to be done here
the sound is really muddy and bassy
there is no high end in this mix
try adding some hi hats or rides

another thing to do is
try listening to tracks with similar production
and you'll notice the difference right away

you have too much low freqs in this mix
that's where you should start fixing it

browse forums like this one
and you'lll find a lot of useful information
and keep working and you'll do better than half decent!

DORYL_ROY
05-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Thanks for taking the time to listen Subotic and thanks for the feedback which is much appreciated. I will take your suggestions on board and will try and improve my track accordingly. :)

DORYL_ROY
06-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Here is an improved version of my track (i hope). Still along way off i know but if anyone could leave any feedback for me that would be great.
Going on Subotics feedback i have tried to make the track less muddy and reduce the amount of low freqencies within the track. Hopefully i have achieved this to a certain degree and would like to know if what i have done is steering me in the right direction or misleading me down the wrong path.

Thank you
Doryl Roy

http://rapidshare.com/files/19691332/-imagination_of_dreams-.wma

jk_scowling
07-03-2007, 10:38 AM
You definetely need to work on the mixdown more mate, it still sounds muddy, and the top end is really low in the mix. I think you need to sort out the levels of everything and use some e.q. cut to give everything separation.

Some of this might be to do with the fact its only a 128Kb mp3, it might be better to upload a better quality mp3 because its harder to give feedback when the quality is lower.

Its good how you've made the track vary a bit throughout, definitely helps to hold the interest.

Hope this is helpful

judas_beast
07-03-2007, 12:37 PM
You got some good sounds in there, but everything is fightening against everything. Try pulling all ya faders down and doing the mix again. Try cutting all the top end off bass sounds, low of high end etc. Could be a decent track, but its too muddy. Keep trying though!

DORYL_ROY
07-03-2007, 04:56 PM
First of all thanks JK and Judas Beast for the suggestions which are more than welcome.
Judas when you say try cutting all the top end of bass sounds and low of high could you spell it out to me in lamen terms. I know what you are saying probably couldnt get anymore complicated but what you have to understand is that up until this point i have had no input from anyone whatsoever, i just basically sat down by myself and started to try and create something, so any complicated or simple terms for that matter, go completely over my head. Anything i do know i have my own way of understanding it and what to do. ( if that makes sense )

Here is an updated version of my track once again. I feel there is definately more clarity within the track but would just like to know if there has been any improvemnts with the overall sound from someone who knows what they are doing.

Thank you
Doryl Roy

http://rapidshare.com/files/19870721/x_imagination_of_dreamsx.mp3

judas_beast
07-03-2007, 05:12 PM
First of all thanks JK and Judas Beast for the suggestions which are more than welcome.
Judas when you say try cutting all the top end of bass sounds and low of high could you spell it out to me in lamen terms. I know what you are saying probably couldnt get anymore complicated but what you have to understand is that up until this point i have had no input from anyone whatsoever, i just basically sat down by myself and started to try and create something, so any complicated or simple terms for that matter, go completely over my head. Anything i do know i have my own way of understanding it and what to do. ( if that makes sense )

Here is an updated version of my track once again. I feel there is definately more clarity within the track but would just like to know if there has been any improvemnts with the overall sound from someone who knows what they are doing.

Thank you
Doryl Roy

http://rapidshare.com/files/19870721/x_imagination_of_dreamsx.mp3

Well, for example, if you have a ride cymbal, I like to cut everything below 2KHz. On say, a low tom sound, cut everything above 1.5Khz. This way you are sort of freeing up space in your track. Obviously you need to play around with eq's for each sound and see what results you get. You're probably best of cutting as opposed to boosting on eq's as well, you might already I don't know.

Best bit of advice I ever got was keep trying!

loopdon
07-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Well, for example, if you have a ride cymbal, I like to cut everything below 2KHz. On say, a low tom sound, cut everything above 1.5Khz. This way you are sort of freeing up space in your track. Obviously you need to play around with eq's for each sound and see what results you get. You're probably best of cutting as opposed to boosting on eq's as well, you might already I don't know.

Best bit of advice I ever got was keep trying!

Better check if there's anything to cut at all beforehand. Generally speaking this is a very valid tip - but don't cut before you have checked with an analyzer+ears if it's needed at all.

When i listened to the first version i thought it was way to much verb. clear the mix BEFORE whacking reverb etc. etc. over the mix. It's the icing on the cake, not the foundation.

A/B with released tracks is a very good idea as well as has been said before.

278d7e64a374de26f==