PDA

View Full Version : amon tobin - leaked copies of foley room

detfella
07-03-2007, 11:20 PM
grabbed this from ninjaforum, thought it was interesting:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...e1-ffcc06b651ef

well the debate about illegal downloads has obviously been raging for some time. some blame it for the crisis the music industry is currently facing, others herald this as a new utopian era for the consumer. contrary to the oversimplified views sighted by both ends of the spectrum I believe this to be a fairly complex issue with radically different implications for different artists and labels.

with this in mind I see no point in entering into debate on the general issue here. nor would I consider it my place to tell people what they should or shouldn't do. all I can comment on with any certainty is how all this has affected me personally and in light of my nearing release this might be of interest to those of you who've expressed an interest in my music.

over the last few months I've received a surprising amount of mail from people who'd downloaded 'foley room'. the comments are very positive and many encourage me to "keep on doing what you're doing" for which I am thankful.

today, the release date for my album, it's unlikely that you will see it in most high street shops and after the initial run it's unlikely that you will be able to order a copy even from online stores. this is because in-spite of more people having access to and apparently listening to my music than ever before, the predicted sales of the record were so low that it didn't justify the manufacture or distribution to any significant level. strange? not when you consider how hard it might be to convince any retail outlet, physical or digital, that they should try and sell something everybody could already get for free months beforehand.

so what does this mean in the wider context? who the **** knows. like I say I won't speculate on the wider picture and you can draw your own conclusions as to what this means with regards to my own future output. again I stress that I'm not talking about what should happen here. I'm not saying I should be able to 'keep on doing what I'm doing' or even that my record deserves to be bought. all I'm saying, mainly for the benefit of those who might otherwise have been unaware, is that if you personally like what I do and wish to continue hearing more then the only way that will happen is if you support it.

dan the acid man
08-03-2007, 12:16 AM
he's got a point

stjohn
08-03-2007, 03:10 PM
thats very unfortunate....
I heard the album and its great. Tobin on form...

lunatrick
08-03-2007, 03:14 PM
you have to wonder who his mates are really......I mean somebody he knows lent it to somebody they know who uploaded it......simple as.

chiaroscura
26-04-2007, 05:41 PM
you have to wonder who his mates are really......I mean somebody he knows lent it to somebody they know who uploaded it......simple as.

i think it was leaked long before any promo copies were sent out to anyone. a real pity, he deserves the support. it's utterly weird and stupid sending him messages full of praise for an album one can't have heard through any means not illegal and immoral

eyeswithoutaface
26-04-2007, 05:58 PM
it wasnt just "leaked". Obviously someone he know's has played or lent this to someone who obviously has lower moral values than the person in question. If it had been stolen from his computer, im sure he would of made sure people knew that. Someone has actively uploaded his work after being trusted with it, which is a damn shame

TechMouse
26-04-2007, 06:04 PM
it wasnt just "leaked". Obviously someone he know's has played or lent this to someone who obviously has lower moral values than the person in question. If it had been stolen from his computer, im sure he would of made sure people knew that. Someone has actively uploaded his work after being trusted with it, which is a damn shame
It's really shitty if it's a mate.

I'd more likely suspect a label insider.

eyeswithoutaface
26-04-2007, 06:37 PM
yeah, the sad truth is it's someone he know's or has at least a working relationship with. The artist has no chance if the people he is working for are leaking it.

force
26-04-2007, 07:08 PM
thats very unfortunate....
I heard the album and its great. Tobin on form...

Yeah, i bought it a while ago.....top stuff from Mr T

278d7e64a374de26f==