PDA

View Full Version : are pioneer ripping people off ?

jon connor
08-03-2007, 02:52 PM
i do use an acasional pioneer 1000 cdj mainly for my own productions . ive no dig at there purpose they are very handy , wot i more seem to have a problem with is the way they are made, and wot makes them so expensive ? i recently set up for a friend a whole pioneer dj set up 1 x djm pioneer 800 mixer 2 x pioneers cdj 1000 m3s and also a pioneer efx 1000

the only thing that seems worth the money is the the 800 mixer that is 1 bad ass mutha ...........

the cdj 1000 when you pick them up feel as light as a feather and feel plastic and tacky wot is in them that makes them so expensive ? i think pioneer could have give them the same metalic finish that is on the djm 800 mixer at least you get a sense of your moneys worth when you feel a bit of weight on item.

also the pioneer efx unit a lot of money for a product i would price at about half it shelf price now.

again it feels like a tacky plastic box it comes in the post with no leads no optional digital cable and also has no usb conections but still is around 600 quid to buy.

the efx unit is an awsome bit of kit recently i watched this video

cliphttp://www.decks.co.uk/products/dj_production/pioneer/efx1000

(check out the transform scratching effect very cool.)

i was amazed at wot it can do ive no problem with the way pioneers is progressing further into new products and inventions but just the way they pack them in plastic boxes it`s just kinda makes them feel cheap , mabey if they polished there products off with the same finish as the metalic top as the djm 800 mixer they would feel like you have got wot you have paid for and also look a bit more class.

wot do you guys think ?

do pioneer charge a bit to much ?

should they case there cd j s , efx units in more suitable units ?

it costs this for a pair £1525.00 inc VAT cd j 1000 m3
and this for a £645.00 inc VAT for a Pioneer EFX1000 Effects Unit

so thats over £2000 before you have even got a mixer so you talking about £ 3000 inc vat with mixer great if you can afford it but the plastic box incasing just takes the class away from them.

jon connor
08-03-2007, 03:01 PM
link again to efx demo..............

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/dj_production/pioneer/efx1000

gunna bring this to my home studio and midi it up see wot else it can do via production .

if anyone knows of any video demonstrations of this beeing used as a midi fx for audio production please forward it onto me thanks.

dirty_bass
08-03-2007, 04:22 PM
I think this is like anything in any of the arts.
They charge as much for this stuff because they can.

Paintbrushes are expensive for what they are, decks, compressors, studio effects, easels etc, film cameras etc

We pay those prices though, because we "need" the stuff.
also there is a lot of money associated with the media, or arts, and this adds to it.

loopdon
08-03-2007, 04:24 PM
I read some bad things about the djm-600; when it was used at MAYDAY they modded them with external power supplies because internal ones weren't shielded or something. I also heard the parts used were just about the cheapest one can find. Not the worst mixer on earth, had it myself but things like the eqs really suck etc. I quite like the layout, though. They are simple.

prozac
08-03-2007, 04:45 PM
i love my djm 600...my favourite mixer

whats the difference between a metal case & a plastic case?
how it feels?
does it matter?

jon connor
08-03-2007, 05:29 PM
I read some bad things about the djm-600; when it was used at MAYDAY they modded them with external power supplies because internal ones weren't shielded or something. I also heard the parts used were just about the cheapest one can find. Not the worst mixer on earth, had it myself but things like the eqs really suck etc. I quite like the layout, though. They are simple.

yea the eq pots were all filtered to help with effects , i remember the engineer in a club i used to play had to put the talk over button and the tape a beer lid over it so djs could not put back on it knocks 4 db off the mixer.

was always a better sound that came off the 500 but really they do seem to have cracked it with the 800 i like the sound that comes off it but then again its never gunna be an allen and heath hahahaha.

jon connor
08-03-2007, 05:31 PM
i love my djm 600...my favourite mixer

whats the difference between a metal case & a plastic case?
how it feels?
does it matter?

not really wot im getting at is it feels a bit tacky in plastic dude for the price they are and more prone to beeing broke or damaged , at least when u have a solid peice of kit you have a better peace of mind. well i do anyway.

loopdon
08-03-2007, 05:33 PM
The 800 is supposedly better or let's say worth the money...

ERROR404
08-03-2007, 05:46 PM

Well i've had one of the original (metal case) DJM600s for over 6 years now and it is in perfect working order, even after the eq and fader abuse that techno normally takes its toll on mixers... i have never come across a mixer as robust as the DJM600.. I've seen Vestax and A&H pack up after a couple of years, noone i know with a DJM has ever had any problems with them..

I can't really comment on the CDJs but i think the DJMs are worth their weight in gold.

Mucky Beats
08-03-2007, 05:56 PM
to be fair i think one of the main things hear is you pay for technolagy (i carnt spell) its the design and production costs of these companys that keep putting out this stuff have to get back... i mean someone like pioneer spend millions inventing and designing cutting edge stuff... i think thats a lot of the reason stuff is so much at first and also like dirty bass said we need it so they can get away with charging more think its called suply and demand the cdjs are always in demand... i think the cdjs are light for easy of use i mean if they where hevy they would be a pain to transport...i do feel there still quite hardcore tho as ive had a second hand cdj 800 and cdj 1000 and there still goin strong after much partys and water and shit haha.... on the note of the djm 800 i think pioneer have hit the nail on the head with this ... having owned the 600 i know it was never the best mixer but was still wicked for us techno jocks... but i feel the 800 has all the good bits of the 600 but more solid and much better sound ... its like they have gone yeh the 600 is good but the allen and heath sounds better and so lets make a better sounding more soild mixer and i think they have pulled it off... i love mine hehe... the roll thing is totaly nuts !!

loopdon
08-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Well i've had one of the original (metal case) DJM600s for over 6 years now and it is in perfect working order, even after the eq and fader abuse that techno normally takes its toll on mixers... i have never come across a mixer as robust as the DJM600.. I've seen Vestax and A&H pack up after a couple of years, noone i know with a DJM has ever had any problems with them..

I can't really comment on the CDJs but i think the DJMs are worth their weight in gold.

Tbh mine was quite ok as well. there will always be different opinions.

I said i heard it. whatever that's worth. If it works for you that's all that matters.

TechMouse
08-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Stuff is worth as much as people are willing to pay for it.

I'll say one thing: Pioneer CDJs shit on all the other makes.

If I had the money I'd buy a pair of 1000s in a second.

Personally I think they feel really weighty.

Just out of interest, if you don't like Pioneers which CD decks do you like?

SlavikSvensk
08-03-2007, 06:26 PM
five things keep prices up:

a. high cost of development and production
b. relatively small number of consumers (comapred with, say, # of people who buy dvd players or computers)
c. small number of producers of said product, since competition drives prices down
d. willingness of consumers to pay price...if they wouldn't or couldn't, prices would drop somewhat
e. companies exist to make profit off of production, not supply consumers with low-cost, high-quality goods

jon connor
08-03-2007, 07:35 PM
The 800 is supposedly better or let's say worth the money...

i would say so yea its a good peice of kit im enjoying using that.

jon connor
08-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Stuff is worth as much as people are willing to pay for it.

I'll say one thing: Pioneer CDJs shit on all the other makes.

If I had the money I'd buy a pair of 1000s in a second.

Personally I think they feel really weighty.

Just out of interest, if you don't like Pioneers which CD decks do you like?

i do like them dude you mis- read i just am debating the plastic issiue you pay a lot of money for a very delicate plastic case i think they should be in a more solid metal caseing.

mucky beats aka makie you lazy fuk face hard to transport are u mental they only small little dudes, but never mind ya misses can cary them for ya hahahahahahahaha!

jon connor
08-03-2007, 07:44 PM
five things keep prices up:

a. high cost of development and production
b. relatively small number of consumers (comapred with, say, # of people who buy dvd players or computers)
c. small number of producers of said product, since competition drives prices down
d. willingness of consumers to pay price...if they wouldn't or couldn't, prices would drop somewhat
e. companies exist to make profit off of production, not supply consumers with low-cost, high-quality goods

nice ? well put there fella.

we back on topic........

davethedrummer
08-03-2007, 10:11 PM
yea the eq pots were all filtered to help with effects , i remember the engineer in a club i used to play had to put the talk over button and the tape a beer lid over it so djs could not put back on it knocks 4 db off the mixer.

was always a better sound that came off the 500 but really they do seem to have cracked it with the 800 i like the sound that comes off it but then again its never gunna be an allen and heath hahahaha.

silly really 'cps thers a little screw round the back that you can use to turn the output of the mixer down
but gaffa tape is a winner really innit?

jon connor
09-03-2007, 12:52 PM
yea ive seen engineers do that also , but this fella use to just put a beer lid over the talk over button and tape it he said it knock 4 db off the mixer.......

basslinejunkie
09-03-2007, 01:00 PM
we get ripped by virtually every company,goes with the company of being british.

278d7e64a374de26f==