PDA

View Full Version : do u think its worth it?

tonyc2002
12-03-2007, 03:27 PM
ime seriously considering getting a Virus TI on finance but with all the fantastic plugins around is it really worth it?

Can software synths match the Virus or similar hardware synths for sheer fatness of sound?

any advice welcome peeps :cheese:

dan the acid man
12-03-2007, 03:48 PM
yep, these days software can sound as good as hardwear

TechMouse
12-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Access Virus is virtual analogue anyway, so yes - plugins can sound that good.

In fact, I understand you can get an Access Virus TDM plugin for Pro Tools, which uses identical algorithms to the hardware version - not sure if they have released / will ever release a VSTi version though.

On the other hand, with the Virus TI you get a dedicated DSP chip for synth duties (i.e. no load on your processor) plus a control surface and an audio interface into the bargain.

So, swings and roundabouts.

dirty_bass
12-03-2007, 04:38 PM
It`s a matter of taste. If you want a nice hardware interface and synth, then buy it.
Don`t be under the illusion it will be phatter or better than other synths, or other vst`s.
Try it out and get it because you want it.

trainspotter
12-03-2007, 05:42 PM
i am trying to decide if i want to pay the extra for a ti and just get a C,
have had the virus a and classic and yes you can probably do everything on
a computer, but the interface is what you pay for.

the vst function on the ti is not really anything i would probably use but the polyphony and some other features make the TI a really nice machine.

but i think im sticking with the C until the TI goes down in price.

will this be the first virus you ever use?

tonyc2002
12-03-2007, 06:31 PM
thanks guys. ive just been checking out the demo of NI's Massive and some of the patches do sound pretty amazing. i suppose ime wondering that if you can generate these sounds in software what on earth justifys the £1000 + price tag?

@ trainspotter

yes mate it would be my first virus synth

Barely Human
12-03-2007, 06:55 PM
thanks guys. ive just been checking out the demo of NI's Massive and some of the patches do sound pretty amazing. i suppose ime wondering that if you can generate these sounds in software what on earth justifys the £1000 + price tag?

@ trainspotter

yes mate it would be my first virus synth

Yeah, that NI Massive is probably one of the best souding softsynths ive heard. Deffinately sounding closer to a virus that other vst's ive come across before. The filter on it is just lush. As for the TI, im not sure the pricetag warrents a buy at the moment, if you price it up against the C, its only the hyper saw and extra polyphony that really swings the deal, so i would go and demo them somewhere. You have to make sure its something that you need in your setup, because if your already really competant using a softsynth that gets similar results, you will find yourself going back it for quick inspiration and leave the virus gaining dust.

RDR
12-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Yeah, that NI Massive is probably one of the best souding softsynths ive heard. Deffinately sounding closer to a virus that other vst's ive come across before. The filter on it is just lush. As for the TI, im not sure the pricetag warrents a buy at the moment, if you price it up against the C, its only the hyper saw and extra polyphony that really swings the deal, so i would go and demo them somewhere. You have to make sure its something that you need in your setup, because if your already really competant using a softsynth that gets similar results, you will find yourself going back it for quick inspiration and leave the virus gaining dust.

Speaking from experience, NI massive is bloody good, the routing possiblities rock and are really transparent and intuitive. I have minimal experience with the TI but do like the sound, i also think it is over priced.

There are plenty of hardware synths out there that sound fantastic, why not get a second hand NORD and Massive for less money and have the best of both worlds?

IMO patch surfing and reputation are over-rated, learning how to program a synth is your best answer, not throwing money at it... it very rarely works, unless you actually want to sound like everybody else.

;)

TechMouse
13-03-2007, 12:48 PM
IMO patch surfing and reputation are over-rated, learning how to program a synth is your best answer, not throwing money at it... it very rarely works, unless you actually want to sound like everybody else.
Amen.

Learn how to program a synth and you'll get interesting and original sounds out of everything.

You can buy choice, but you can't buy originality.

tonyc2002
13-03-2007, 01:10 PM
sound advice (no pun intended) :cheese:

fitzoyo
13-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Massive is an awesome synth but is very cpu hungry. Its one synth i generally always bounce down to audio. Obviously like any synth whether hardware or software it has a different character to the virus but if think its pretty much on a par with the virus although i havnt tried the ti version. For the price of a TI you could get hold of a second hand virus c of ebay, get massive aswell and still have plenty of change for somethin else.

danielmarshall
26-03-2007, 02:29 AM
If you want to save CPU load on the cheap (and I mean a total bargain), get a liquid mix and use your CPU for softsynths. 32 channels of pure sexy DSP pleasure!

http://www.focusrite.com/product/liquid_mix/

Worth every cent.

278d7e64a374de26f==