PDA

View Full Version : Hard Tech...and ear damage

killarava2day
03-11-2003, 10:45 AM
I noticed on Mhonolink's webpage that quote "Mhonolink has decided to put the dj:ing on hold for a while due to eardamage".

On hold for a while eh? I thought that anything to do with ear related damage was permanent, not temporary.

I've, after several months of denial, come to terms with my intrusive tinnitus. Coupled with slight earing loss find myself in quite a state of confusion. You know I love my music, I hate using earplugs and I don't want to be old, deaf and going outa my mind with tinnitus...

Do any of you long time DJs like say Henry or Mark or anyone else have associated ear problems or similar. Is this just an unfortunate downside of this industry, not to mention the drugs. Did I mention drugs?

timo
03-11-2003, 11:00 AM
I wear ear protection whenever I'm in clubs (Hearsafe ER-20 with a very linear frequency range):

http://www.hearsafe.de/produkte/img/hs_er20.jpg

I don't have money for Elacin (which you can use for dj'ing also), so I (still) spin without any protection - but as soon as I'm spinning more recently, I'll switch to elacin, too.

Sunil
03-11-2003, 11:13 AM
I wear ear protection whenever I'm in clubs (Hearsafe ER-20 with a very linear frequency range):

I don't have money for Elacin (which you can use for dj'ing also), so I (still) spin without any protection - but as soon as I'm spinning more recently, I'll switch to elacin, too.

I find it hard to play with the Elacin plugs in but I do wear them at all other times when I'm in clubs. For anyone that's in doubt or is worried about their hearing get earplugs, they do help a lot.

timo
03-11-2003, 11:16 AM
Sunil, do you insert the correct filter pairs, or do you have only one pair?

herman
03-11-2003, 11:54 AM
I have been using the Elacin er -15 for about 2 years now wear them when djing as well, to be honest i don't think i would play without them now. Sunil which filter did you get i use the 15db one and have no problem with that but i have heard of people having trouble with the higher rated ones.

Angrymann
03-11-2003, 01:45 PM
Are these things not about £200 or something. Small price to pay to save your hearing but how the **** can they justify that price.

Sunil
03-11-2003, 11:35 PM
I'm using the 15's, i know i should be able to hear clear enough but I've tried them both on the radio and out and i just couldn't hear clearly enough, in fairness though I should give them a more sustained chance and train my ears so that they just get used to it.

Dustin Zahn
04-11-2003, 12:40 AM
I think its totally worth the price tag. I had temporary hearing loss up until a year and a half ago where I was over half deaf. I thought my hearing was just gone in one ear, but by the time I went to the hospital it was mostly gone in the one and half gone in the other. Luckily it wasn't damaged so they were able to take care of business and I could hear great again.

As for my hearing now, I can tell its no longer as good as it was when I got out of the hospital. I'm looking into some nice ear plugs too...but I don't want huge...bright pink pieces of crap popping out of my ears in the club either cause that just doesn't look right to me. But I plan on making this investment and advise everyone else to do it eventually as well.

DJAmok
04-11-2003, 05:47 PM
So far I´ve been lucky with the clubs I played in, but I just got myself some ear protection this week. Better safe than sorry

Jay Pace
08-11-2003, 03:30 PM
My ears got progressively worse, until one night after going to "the end" they started ringing and never really stopped. I now have tinnitus, which you can get use to - sleep with a fan on etc. But the thing that causes problems is hyperacusis - enhanced sensitivity to sound. This means that non loud noises are now painful - holding a phone next to your ear, bad home hifi with screechy treble, and of course pretty much all PA systems.

If you are really careful it does improve over the years and you lose some of the pain. You can get tinnitus retraining therapy but it involves wearing a hearing aid that creates white noise for 8 hours a day for a year. It sorts out the pain, and you become habituated to the ringing. Not an easy fix though.

If you dj regularly buy elacins. The price is high because they have a very flat response - most cheaper earplugs block a disproportionate amount of mid range of HF signal. Elacins are flat, and are also moulded to you ear so they are very comfortable, inobtrusive and sonically accurate.

If you go clubbing regularly you should invest in some musicians earplugs like in the picture above. Its better than having ****ed ears for the rest of your life.

Peace.

wenna
08-11-2003, 04:10 PM
personally, i like to find a bird with large boosoms and keep my head between them all night. it seems to provide 'adequate protection'. :shock:

dan the acid man
08-11-2003, 05:39 PM
personally, i like to find a bird with large boosoms and keep my head between them all night. it seems to provide 'adequate protection'. :shock:

haha!!!!

filthy, filthy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Erase Techno
08-11-2003, 06:39 PM
I suffer from pretty severe tinnitus, caused by one night with the headphones too loud. If any of you know my electro ep on materials thats the b**tard that did it!

I have 4 seperate noises, and it took me about 6 months to accept it and stop worrying.

I would get freaked out by any noise in the house and put my fingers over my ears to make sure it wasnt another noise in my head. I noticed the most anal things, like the 909 ride cymbal and one particular frequency it plays at now has the most tiny ring to it as it decays, totally irrelevant to every day life but I would sit and waste hours trying to trigger these kind of things to see how my ears reacted. I got paranoid my hearing was ruined and I was in a state, luckily now things still sound great and my audicologist said I had no hearing loss, but I invested in some er-15`s which take the worry out of clubbing, or even a night at the cinema or a pub on a friday etc.

herman
03-12-2003, 07:13 PM
right sorry to drag this subject up again but i thought some might be interested in it,

after two years of only djing whilst wearing my er-15's i managed to lost them about 3 weeks ago leading to playing 3 gigs without them. the first (the week i discovered i had lost them so had no chance to do anything about it) was frankly painfull and i couldn't belive i had gone the best part of 14 years djing with no ear protection at all, the next two weeks i had to make do with the 20db filter earplane type plugs you get at the airport now for £5 these do a pretty decent job but obviously not in the same class as the elacin's, this was causing me to consider cancelling this weeks gigs if the new ones didn't get here in time (picked them up today thankfully so i wont have to do that) :lol:

anyway moral of the story is if you play regulary or even go to clubs regulary get the elacins as soon as you can well worth the money in the long run,JUST DON'T LOSE THEM LIKE I DID.

Sunil
03-12-2003, 08:09 PM
anyway moral of the story is if you play regulary or even go to clubs regulary get the elacins as soon as you can well worth the money in the long run,JUST DON'T LOSE THEM LIKE I DID.

Must be something in the air, i lost mine about three weeks ago too, November 8th to be exact ! got them moulded again last week, hope they are ready soon..

John Vella
16-12-2003, 03:48 PM
yeah i need to sleep with the fan too.....

:(

-jOHNNY

Philth
16-12-2003, 04:15 PM
are the elacin's molded to fit your ear properly or are they pre-made with replaceable filters. i would like to get molded ones that fit securely in my ear and are comfortable...

herman
16-12-2003, 04:57 PM
are the elacin's molded to fit your ear properly or are they pre-made with replaceable filters. i would like to get molded ones that fit securely in my ear and are comfortable...

yeah the elacins are moulded to fit your ear , make sure you get the er-15's though as some people have trouble playing with the 25's

Philth
17-12-2003, 03:22 AM
^ cool... thanks

278d7e64a374de26f==