PDA

View Full Version : Techno going progressive

dubs
21-03-2007, 12:10 PM
A lot of the techno being produced recently (couple of years) has been far more progressive than a few years ago. I think the music has been great but what has this meant for techno dj's? I play less records in an hour than i used to. This is probably a good thing but has this affected how you guys construct your sets?

DannyBlack
21-03-2007, 01:33 PM
A lot of the techno being produced recently (couple of years) has been far more progressive than a few years ago. I think the music has been great but what has this meant for techno dj's? I play less records in an hour than i used to. This is probably a good thing but has this affected how you guys construct your sets?

i agree there, progressive techno is invaluable id say for live set DJ's (i dont know much about live sets, im vinyl, probably always will be)

dan the acid man
21-03-2007, 03:27 PM
can't say iv'e noticed a huge increase in progressive style techno, but then i've always liked techno tunes that go somewhere rather than a 16 bar loop that doesn't change much.

I think there's still alot of loopy/ dj tools about isn't there?

jon connor
21-03-2007, 04:05 PM
it depends where you are playing dude, for instance i play a lot hard dance nights so is difficult to educate the crowd but the more progessive stuff suits them say if there more trance or hard dance crowd, then if i was playing a more techno only club my set would be totaly diffrent, its all about having variation in your box to suit your audience, this is the great thing about techno you can have a box of techno to suit all. its good to have variation.

t-dj
21-03-2007, 06:06 PM
LOL
sorry but whats a "progressive" ?

mattboyslim
21-03-2007, 11:35 PM
it has always been progressive in a sense. even loopy techno can be progressive if mixed in a progressive way. can't say i've really noticed an increase in progressive records.

dirty_bass
22-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Techno GOING progressive?
It started being music that went somewhere, it`s only the Unimaginative DJ Producers who came later on that turned it into a loopfest that did nothing.

Martin Dust
22-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Techno, progressive - fcuking car park now ;)

jon connor
23-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Techno, progressive - fcuking car park now ;)

hahahahhaahha! TAXI!

dan the acid man
23-03-2007, 01:36 PM
I'll tell you what, car parks aren't as good as they used to be back in 98:)

rhythmtech
23-03-2007, 01:55 PM
I'll tell you what, car parks aren't as good as they used to be back in 98:)

word!

jon connor
23-03-2007, 02:06 PM
word!

oh fuk yea car park how loud can your stereo go hahahahah! car stereo wars great..................

[F/17]
23-03-2007, 09:31 PM
LOL
sorry but whats a "progressive" ?

agree, what is meant?
sound? or structure?

bit of personal experience. when i was young i used to listen to a lot of electronic music, and fortunately some classic techno as well, which seemed (and seems) really loopy for me. when i first got to a techno party in the uk (2002) it was bit of a shock for me as the sound was completely different to what i was thinking techno restricts to. e.g. i was bit surprised to see dj doing nothing while it sounded like he was torturing his knobs and faders. and the sound i heard was rich.

in other terms, i was surprised with "progressiveness" of techno.

since then i quite regularly go through new releases, started buying some and so on. but i can't say i noticed it getting more progressive - it changes and develops, but both now and 5 years ago you could find a lot of loopy stuff as well as compound-structured "songs".

koma
23-03-2007, 11:36 PM
bah, stupid term.

first, there was a part of techno someone called progressive, then trancers jumped on it, and now, "progressive" is the term widely used to describe house with melodies :cheese: sound of Global Underground, Balance, John Digweed, RPO etc...

Martin Dust
24-03-2007, 12:35 PM
It's a dirty word at Dog and Dust Towers...

AcidTrash
03-04-2007, 02:36 AM
It started being music that went somewhere, it`s only the Unimaginative DJ Producers who came later on that turned it into a loopfest that did nothing.

It has its place.

spiralx
21-04-2007, 09:39 PM
I always tend to think of progressive as building up layers over the course of the track, and tending to have a standard sort of build-up, breakdown, full-on type structure.

Which is to say, an awful lot of dance music really. Acid techno is "progressive" in this sense, and the tracks tend to be longer than say, schranz, where it's a lot more loopy. Heck, Detroit stuff is very non-progressive, and mixing tends to be very quick.

RDR
22-04-2007, 05:16 PM

Amen.

There's nothing wrong with loops per-se but they have to be used in the right context... music is full of looped phrases, but they are phrases that have a habit of changing.

Its a common theme running through good techno that change is accentuated, subtle change can be a killer, i real song maker. The jengamaster track that jay pace is releasing through RDR is a prime example, subtle change in a looped scenario. also BASIC CHANNEL were masters of this as well... ahh basic channel!!!! :notworthy:

;)

RDR
22-04-2007, 05:17 PM
It's a dirty word at Dog and Dust Towers...

Dust Towers...

cleaning up dirty progressive... :lol:

BTW - MARK.. can i have my :lol: back please??????

278d7e64a374de26f==