PDA

View Full Version : Monitor cones... a story to make you cry

danielmarshall
25-03-2007, 04:47 PM
OK, so I have just baught some brand new studio monitors 2 days ago, and they've been pretty good to me so far.

However, my brothers's little kid came walking into my studio today and decided to press one of the little domes on the bass speaker cone in. This is just before he nearly pushed my 22" CRT over the desk.

Kids eh...

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be damaged, as in no tears or anything (my emotional stability is otherwise), but it's still indented. Could it damage the sound of the speaker that drastically? I'm going to try and pull it out using a suction cup. Any further advice?

loopdon
25-03-2007, 05:01 PM
I read about this somewhere:

"the center dome on MOST speakers (like on your's don't worry) are just covers for the center area, so there shouldnt be any real change in sound

you can also take a piece of gaffer tape , stick it to the dent part and gently pull it out."

or: vacuum-cleaner but

"see if you can use your mouth before trying a vacuum. It can be a bit of a delicate process."

gaffa tape seems to win

danielmarshall
26-03-2007, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the info my loopy mate, much appreciated. I think I'll try the tape thing.

Anyway, I did a test this morning with the two speakers placed equally distant on both sides of my head cranking them up to full blast with a test tone slowly decending in frequency. I couldn't pick up any off center balance... Phweew.

The Divide
18-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Did you fix them?

Jay Pace
18-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Cones are for show, it won't matter.

Looks ugly though. I'd suck it out with a hoover

Then murder your brothers kid.

vadarfone
20-04-2007, 10:53 AM
My Mother once did the same thing and I went mental.

I blob of warmed up Blu-Tak will pull it out, as will sellotape. Gaffa tape might be a bit too powerful for this task

z99
24-04-2007, 08:33 PM
hey, i've got mine fixed with the help of vacuum cleaner.. kids should die:)

278d7e64a374de26f==