PDA

View Full Version : BLOC Weekend: How was it?

Si the Sigh
26-03-2007, 09:20 AM
:)

Mucky Beats
26-03-2007, 12:22 PM
also if you where there did you get a techno experiment flyer in the flyer pack?

Mr Exit
27-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Bloc was f**king awsome.

Theres something to be said about being able to make a cup of tea and crash in a real bed at a techno festival !

Highlights for me:

Newcleus / Aux 88 / I.F / Andrea Parker / Luke Slater/ Surgeon / Rob Hood / Tim Exile stumbling into our chalet with an ironing board under his arm trying to surf in the bath / Neil Landstumm.

Long live the bloc!!!

oh aye, there were techno experiment flyers in the flyer pack

Si the Sigh
27-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Tim Exile stumbling into our chalet with an ironing board under his arm trying to surf in the bath

ha ha! :)

Do you think there will be one next year then? Was it busy? Systems sound ok, etc?

wrong
27-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Yeah.. was excellent.. busy yep... it was all sold out so no danger of emptiness .. Soundsystems were rumbling, people were smiling... music was pukka! saw and really enjoyed (amongst others) surgeon, newcleus, wevie, advent, cj bolland, pest, ttc, second half of mike dred's set was awesome, mr forshaw, aux-88 were brilliant, and of course the dont/uglyfunk sunday takeover was top notch...everyone played stormers, shame ben pest was on so early though. Chalet parties were great fun, lots of crews from all over mingling up and getting down..Great to see loads of the bigger names had come for the whole weekend and were popping up on dancefloors all over the place.. big respect to the organisers.. just waiting for the next one now!

theledge
27-03-2007, 12:11 PM
sounds wicked..i will be planning for the next one early!!

basslinejunkie
27-03-2007, 02:16 PM
i feel like crying :(

Sunil
27-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Bloc was awesome. Although rather than celebrating all the amazing acts I saw, I'm still extremely gutted that I missed Universal Indicator :(

But yeah, lots of people excelled themselves and it was really good to see some of the older guys like Cisco, CJ and co. rise to the occasion and really nail it..

Loads of highlights, the Smash Bloc area on Saturday evening was particularly good, and then the Techno Bloc area after that was great - not to say that Friday wasn't great as well though! The Don't showcase topped off the Techno Area really nicely on Sunday evening too...

Sunil
27-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Here's some videos:

http://www.uncollected.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1870

Si the Sigh
27-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Photos here --> http://www.flickr.com/photos/7440099@N05/sets/72157600027076868/

stjohn
27-03-2007, 05:01 PM
sounds wicked..i will be planning for the next one early!!

you know it!! i think there has been no better line in a long time!

wrong
27-03-2007, 09:29 PM
@sunil - don't think i saw you there ?? hope i wasn't drunk and forgot :/

@ Macky - yep techno experiment flyers present & correct in the programmes =)

Mr Exit
27-03-2007, 10:15 PM
ha ha! :)

Do you think there will be one next year then? Was it busy? Systems sound ok, etc?

Every thing was top quality, chalets were fine. Can't moan, you'd pay the money to see all the acts and sleep in a tent so chalets were a bonus really.

Sound was great in all three rooms and the venue suited a techno event perfectly, contrary to what you might think.

The only weird thing for me was putting Mike Dred in between Luke Slater and Surgeon, would have been better at the end in my opinion.

No mention of another next year but after the success of this one lets hope they do.

All in all probably the best techno do i've been to.

Frank Dogshit
27-03-2007, 11:05 PM
really happy it went well....

its nice to know this sort of thing can still be pulled off in the UK still.

how many tickets did they sell approx?

Sunil
27-03-2007, 11:44 PM
@sunil - don't think i saw you there ?? hope i wasn't drunk and forgot :/

I saw you there alright, but you were dashing off somewhere I think so figured I'd see you later.

Actually, just after Luke Anger's set I went back to our chalet to get everyone back up for your set; but got stuck there and missed it in the end!
Same thing happened for Mike Dred and Autechre :(

So the moral of the story is: Don't go to your chalet unless it's 100% necessary!

Sunil
27-03-2007, 11:45 PM
how many tickets did they sell approx?

2,200 I think.

iffi
28-03-2007, 12:54 AM
To be honest,we thought the rig in the Techbloc was a bit quiet. It went loud for about 5 seconds on the sat night when a wrong button got pushed. The bass sounded amazing(made the building rattle outside) but there was no real kick in the pa. We were having a conversation halfway back.
Apart from that and some strange appearance times it was brill. Luke Slater-that was one of the best things i've ever heard (pity it wasn't Louder). Michael Forshaw,(why were people throwing bottles at him?) Surgeon,Neil Landstrumm,Cisco and the Don't/Ugly Funk crew and Universal Indicator were the highlights for me. All in all a good weekend...and i'd do it again.:)

conor256
28-03-2007, 01:23 AM
cracking set up alright..... i didnt come accross any real d*ckheads which was great........ tecbloc sounded loud enough for me..... i wouldnt have wanted to hear it any louder considering i spent the best part of 3 days in there.....
a few of the acts and djs disappointed me but i am a fussy yaapy git at times.......

i wish that the uglyfunk/dont had of hosted the sat night.... definitely the best music being played overall..... imo of course...... jerome started his set with this song that some madman was singing to himself abot the men in white coats coming to take him away.... seemed to sum up how my head was feeling at that stage on the sunday ;)

universal indicator was great..... cj bolland dj'd v.well... forshaw resued the friday nite ... him and ceephax...... and the techbloc all sunday was great......

reccommend it to anyone with ears and feet for next year!!

Sunil
28-03-2007, 01:53 AM
To be honest,we thought the rig in the Techbloc was a bit quiet. It went loud for about 5 seconds on the sat night when a wrong button got pushed. The bass sounded amazing(made the building rattle outside) but there was no real kick in the pa. We were having a conversation halfway back.
Apart from that and some strange appearance times it was brill. Luke Slater-that was one of the best things i've ever heard (pity it wasn't Louder). Michael Forshaw,(why were people throwing bottles at him?) Surgeon,Neil Landstrumm,Cisco and the Don't/Ugly Funk crew and Universal Indicator were the highlights for me. All in all a good weekend...and i'd do it again.:)

Yeah, it seemed that the sound needed more oomph early on but all the areas seemed to become better tuned as time went on - Saturday for the likes of Surgeon and Advent and it'd certainly picked up some punch. By the Sunday in the Techbloc area, you could feel the bass getting pinned to your chest as far back as the bar.

conor256
28-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Y - Saturday for the likes of Surgeon and Advent and it'd certainly picked up some punch. By the Sunday in the Techbloc area, you could feel the bass getting pinned to your chest as far back as the bar.

the soundsystem kept cutting out on the left side as you were facing it on the sat night..... it happened for about 10-15 mins at the end of the advent set.... and i turned round and there was nobody at the sound desk to sort it.... also happened during rob hood if i remember rightly........

and you're right about the bass on the sunday mate...... i was standing back near the seats in the middle on the raised platform for the last 3/4 hours on the sunday and the bass was rumbling away off me chest something serious.... great ;)

Si the Sigh
28-03-2007, 09:38 AM
2,200 I think.

All the tickets were sold. :)

iffi
29-03-2007, 12:40 AM
We were right behind the mixing desk when the left side went down. Took the geezer a few minutes to figure out something was wrong (maybe he's deaf on his left side) then he legged it down the front.
The reason it sounded punchier on the sunday was because there was hardly anyone in the room-couple of hundred at most-more's the pity.

teknorich
29-03-2007, 08:32 AM
People were throwing bottles? That's not a good thing...

robin m
13-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Definitely had a good time but it was too short... we messed up getting there and queues to check in were a joke so missed landstrumm, most of cursor miner and a load of other good stuff.

The saturday night was great, autechre followed by the tecbloc stuff did it for me - Rob Hood played an absolute blinder, far harder than I was expecting... the advent, universal indicator & surgeon all ace as well.

I hardly set foot outside the chalet on the sunday through damaging myself with some vile purple *bet you a fiver* type cocktail in the small hours like some 15 year old tosspot... missed the entire day of don't stuff in the tecbloc which was one of the main draws for me.

Definitely a good weekend but we f*cked it up too much in a variety of ways for it to be a classic really :whoops:

grobelaar
16-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Here's my photos of proceedings, seem to take rather too many of Michael Forshaw, still his performance was one of the highlights for me.

Didn't make it out for much on Saturday, not really my bag.

http://www.crime-productions.com/gig_photos/blocweekend_070323/blocweekend_070323.html

278d7e64a374de26f==