PDA

View Full Version : my first built VSTi - The Damaged Synth

rhythmtech
29-03-2007, 03:39 AM
go easy on me as this is the first synth i've ever built :laughing:

d/l: www.chrome-metronome.net/rhythmtechnologies/Damaged_Synth.rar (http://www.chrome-metronome.net/rhythmtechnologies/Damaged_Synth.rar)

sample: www.chrome-metronome.net/rhythmtechnologies/simple_detuned_saw.wav (http://www.chrome-metronome.net/rhythmtechnologies/simple_detuned_saw.wav)

http://www.chrome-metronome.net/rhythmtechnologies/damaged_synth.jpg

rhythmtech
29-03-2007, 03:41 AM
would love to hear some advice from anyone else who's into or getting into synthesis :)

TechMouse
29-03-2007, 09:41 AM
I wrote a square wave synthesizer in C++ for my dissertation.

stjohn
29-03-2007, 11:35 AM
doesnt sound half bad baz!!

the thing that deters me from alot of this... is that for pretty much anything you want to make, alot of the time some1 has already done it already and done a good job of it too!

this does sound good for such a basic synth tho too, so fair play!! except for that font!!!!!!!

im in the process of making an FM synth in Max, so imight post it up when its done :)

FILTERZ
29-03-2007, 11:50 AM
good work

dan the acid man
29-03-2007, 02:39 PM
sounds ok and looks ok, will give it a test when i can

rhythmtech
29-03-2007, 02:55 PM
sounds ok and looks ok, will give it a test when i can

in fairness it looks like sh*it :laughing:

but im working on the gui at the moment.. and i've a few modules to add.. i'll keep it updated

MARK ANXIOUS
29-03-2007, 07:25 PM
i agree, if something needs to be done, someone has allready probably done it and done it well. but this shouldn't stop you from having a go. i mean there's billions of dj's out there but the ones that make it are the ones that find their own style and market niche. the same goes for building vsti's i think. and you gotta start somewhere and this is a great start baz ;)

theledge
29-03-2007, 09:08 PM
i agree, if something needs to be done, someone has allready probably done it and done it well. but this shouldn't stop you from having a go. i mean there's billions of dj's out there but the ones that make it are the ones that find their own style and market niche. the same goes for building vsti's i think. and you gotta start somewhere and this is a great start baz ;)

the thing about learning to build these yourself is that it teaches you so much about acoustics, signal processing, and the very basic principles of synthesis that is very hard to learn any other way , especially when you're having loadsa fun twiddling knobs on FM7, or your trusty VA or whatever. There's nothing like getting your hands dirty

Ive just recently got into Supercollider , and apart from learning loads , the power and flexibility is just awesome. Sure, if you want quick results which sound like everything else then it's pretty pointless , but there really are endless things you can do with it which is either impossible or very hard in any commercial synth out there

That sort of stuff isnt for everyone i would have to agree, but there is definitely a point to it all!! The next two years of my degree is pretty much centred around this stuff , so hopefully i'l have something to rival techmouse's legendary square wave generator by the time ive finsihed ;)

theledge
29-03-2007, 09:08 PM
would love to hear some advice from anyone else who's into or getting into synthesis :)

Brilliant, What did you use to build it ?

rhythmtech
29-03-2007, 11:37 PM
im using a program called outsim synthmaker

rhythmtech
29-03-2007, 11:45 PM

to be honest its only something that interests me for sharing or my own studio.. i wouldnt have the knowledge to build from the ground up (which, from what i can see, is whats needed to release commercially) but open-source software is a good start for what could be a very interesting side hobby to production..

its also teaching me a lot about synthesis... which is always good, doing what we do :cheese:

detfella
30-03-2007, 12:01 AM
doesnt sound half bad baz!!

the thing that deters me from alot of this... is that for pretty much anything you want to make, alot of the time some1 has already done it already and done a good job of it too!

but if you say that, why are people still making techno?

good luck with the synth programming, you will learn so much if you keep at it.

theledge
30-03-2007, 12:09 AM
im using a program called outsim synthmaker

sound , ive never come across that before , looks pretty similar to puredata and maxmsp

Ive got well into this low level modular stuff, building synths and shit. Been making some mad noises and learning loads , although i havent written any music for time:laughing:

stjohn
30-03-2007, 12:11 AM
but if you say that, why are people still making techno?

good luck with the synth programming, you will learn so much if you keep at it.

ye... im just moaning again :ohdear:.. i intend to stick at it, but as anything in life, it will take some time before any output will be decent enough to match the software thats out there.

i think max msp can get very wonky with shit once u really know the ins and outs!

loopdon
30-03-2007, 12:35 AM
Looking good!

278d7e64a374de26f==