PDA

View Full Version : Minimal really isnt minimal....

MARK ANXIOUS
01-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Wilko touched on this on the BOA radio show this month. And I agree. It's all techno. Sure, hard became huge over the last few years, so did funky or tribal or whatever... minimal is now the buzz word..... but techno isnt just about hard or funky or whatever. It's not about this shit...I listened back to an old Mayday track at the end of a Steve Bug album this week and I was like, holy cow - techno means so much more than just one category or style - or fashion....

Damn it's just my rant for a Sunday heheh :)

MITA
01-04-2007, 03:05 PM
it's all tekkno
energetic,slow,banging,cuting,mellow
just.the question is what drug ya need a..

Joycey
01-04-2007, 03:26 PM
In ibiza they call minimal "underground house."

So many names/ genre's ect its fukin mad

Not keen on minimal me tho - love me pounders!

Numeric
01-04-2007, 04:30 PM
i love it all man, all styles...

hoodlum
01-04-2007, 04:47 PM
i love it all man, all styles...

got it in one.

conflict
01-04-2007, 04:55 PM
minimal scouse house is where its at

DannyBlack
02-04-2007, 12:15 PM
minimal scouse house is where its at

yeah, the less the better! :laughing:

minimal is alright, there is something in all kinds 'o' techno that will appeal to all techno heads.

BloodStar
02-04-2007, 01:46 PM
minimal is good, but why so many tracks are sounding all the same?

TechMouse
02-04-2007, 02:13 PM
It's funny...

Most of what people call "mnml" these days just seems to sound like what Akufen was doing a few years back - when it used to be called "microhouse", which I think is kind of a more accurate (if supremely pretentious) name for it.

I tend to think that minimalism is more of an approach than anything else. It's doing a lot with little, or at least attempting to do so. So much "mnml" seems to just be lots of little clicky noises and stuff with sparse processing.

basslinejunkie
02-04-2007, 02:19 PM
It's funny...

Most of what people call "mnml" these days just seems to sound like what Akufen was doing a few years back - when it used to be called "microhouse", which I think is kind of a more accurate (if supremely pretentious) name for it.

I tend to think that minimalism is more of an approach than anything else. It's doing a lot with little, or at least attempting to do so. So much "mnml" seems to just be lots of little clicky noises and stuff with sparse processing.

exactly. 80 per cent of the stuff i hear thats labelled minimal i just view as new age house. which aint bad,i like some house now an again.

Mucky Beats
02-04-2007, 03:30 PM
mark you hit the nail on the head with techno is techno .... all this breaking it up into diffrent genres is bit silly i think and is almost people tryin to get away from the word techno like its got the lurgy or something he he ...
The reason we started the techno experiment is to try and break down these walls and party under one roof to TECHNO.

Jay Pace
02-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Neo-eclectic self propelling beatcore is where its at.

Everything else is spazrock for dads and brainwrongs.

Labels schmabels.

audioinjection
02-04-2007, 04:55 PM
haha, how funny, last night i was trying to explain to my girlfriend what styles of techno there was and i was like, ****, its all TECHNO! the whole "minimal" sound is just how techno is sounding these days, but i agree it's all just techno

im over the whole argument now...

Ritzi Lee
02-04-2007, 07:08 PM
wouldn't it be lovely to just trash all the name droppings,
and just play what you feel like?

The Overfiend
02-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Techno is what it is.

Unexplainable

eyeswithoutaface
02-04-2007, 08:41 PM
minimal is good, but why so many tracks are sounding all the same?

yeah but no use just singleing minimal out for that, practically every sub genre of techno suffers from this, with hard techno, as much as i love it, probably being one of the worst offenders

just nature. Someone hears something they like, they want to imitate it, some happen to mould what they do into their own sound, some dont

SlavikSvensk
02-04-2007, 09:33 PM
you guys should hear my seriously minimal sh*t. just one 808 kick then silence for 8 minutes. then another.

eyeswithoutaface
02-04-2007, 09:52 PM
you guys should hear my seriously minimal sh*t. just one 808 kick then silence for 8 minutes. then another.

sounds great, will this be available in mp3?

AcidTrash
03-04-2007, 02:38 AM
Amazing how the music progresses but the people do not.

basslinejunkie
03-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Amazing how the music progresses but the people do not.

you think techno has progressed in the last say 6 years, rather than taken a step back???

AcidTrash
03-04-2007, 11:25 AM
you think techno has progressed in the last say 6 years, rather than taken a step back???

It's had a plethora of new gltiches and effects thrown into the pallet, sound quality has improved immeasurably and the fusion of new and old has pushed it forward.

I'm juist stunned at how static clubbers as people seem to be in their cloying claustrophobic little bubble and their point blank refusal to mature.

BloodStar
03-04-2007, 12:44 PM
yeah but no use just singleing minimal out for that, practically every sub genre of techno suffers from this, with hard techno, as much as i love it, probably being one of the worst offenders

just nature. Someone hears something they like, they want to imitate it, some happen to mould what they do into their own sound, some dont

Yes thats true, it is problem in every sub genre,. but really to me so many minimal tracks, mainly produced by bandwagon jumpers (no offfense) sounds like a copy of Beyer walking contradiction and also that one very favourite record by him, i forgot the name.. it is all same basslines, same percussions,same approach,. boring.. they are good tracks, thats for sure, but in general i really dont see anything innovative on it.

Little_Fella!
21-04-2007, 03:22 AM

I agree with the idea of it being an approach totally... doing alot with a little..

Maybe some are trying to do too much with too little and thats where the problems lie..

This track by Flinsch 'n Nielsen, for me, hits the idea of how it should be bang on...

http://www.discogs.com/release/852607 :rockin:

I've mentioned this tune before and it was on BOAR last Sept. 21st

Little_Fella!
21-04-2007, 03:40 AM
Whenever I am asked what do I produce I always lead with the word 'Techno'...

Then I refer to each track on mi CD, as they are all different, as having ''such n such' influences, be it dubstep, acidic, house etc.

Techno for me, as a semi-definition, is the use of the technology that we have today to create moods, feelings, journeys, stories or whatever you want to call the effect your music has upon a person...

It's taking sounds and scapes that are not conventional and blending them together to create whatever emotional harmony you wish to portray to the listener...

I am proud of Techno and being part of it...:cool:

spiralx
21-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Sub-genres are handy for describing a track, or finding records in a store... but if you're producing you shouldn't really be thinking of "what genre track shall I make?" Which sadly, I think too many producers do, thus leaving themselves oblivious to the fact that all of the best artists in every genre are into music as a whole, and it shows in their music.

rooothy
22-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Sub-genres are handy for describing a track, or finding records in a store... but if you're producing you shouldn't really be thinking of "what genre track shall I make?" Which sadly, I think too many producers do, thus leaving themselves oblivious to the fact that all of the best artists in every genre are into music as a whole, and it shows in their music.

This is spot on...

There are those that can turn thier hand to almost any type of music and that in itself is the mark of a true musician...

The technology that we have now is amazing n it allows us to make whatever we want... we have a 'band' with a 1000 instruments to create with and control...

No one has had this level of creativity before.. celebrate it...

This is Techno....

eyeswithoutaface
22-04-2007, 05:13 PM

a-****ing-men

Little_Fella!
23-04-2007, 07:20 AM
This is spot on...

There are those that can turn thier hand to almost any type of music and that in itself is the mark of a true musician...

The technology that we have now is amazing n it allows us to make whatever we want... we have a 'band' with a 1000 instruments to create with and control...

No one has had this level of creativity before.. celebrate it...

This is Techno....

This was actually my babbling as I was logged in on Rooothy's 'poooter...

Great day out that Rufus by the way.... soundo!:rockin:

278d7e64a374de26f==