PDA

View Full Version : Calling all DJ's

kebabman
06-11-2003, 01:31 AM
The following thread http://www.littledetroit.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=682 appeared obviously on the Little Detroit forum. PHONOPSIA (scroll down a bit) stated something that I have not thought about, using the pitch control instead of fingering (Phwoar) the record/platter/spindle to match the BPM's.
Does anyone else get good results from doing this or is it just me that likes to get jiggy with their vinyl?

Sunil
06-11-2003, 01:44 AM
The following thread http://www.littledetroit.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=682 appeared obviously on the Little Detroit forum. PHONOPSIA (scroll down a bit) stated something that I have not thought about, using the pitch control instead of fingering (Phwoar) the record/platter/spindle to match the BPM's.
Does anyone else get good results from doing this or is it just me that likes to get jiggy with their vinyl?

i've always just used the pitch control, never touched the record. The thing about speeding it up with your hand if the record is too slow: is that in a few seconds or whatever the record will probably be still lagging, although if you can get the knack of quickly shifting the pitch control to get it matching (like you would by using your hand) and then find the correct spot where it should be on the dial, you should have no reason to touch the record! everyone has their own way i guess, whatever you're used to and all that.

kebabman
06-11-2003, 01:52 AM
Have you always used the pitch control? Is it going too mean a new learning curve? I've got quite a few mates who can beat match pretty fast by moving the platter/record with their hands. Seen a lot of DJ's who seem to be using the pitch control.
I tend to move the record with my fingers but always find that the record needs re-adjusting seconds later.

Sunil
06-11-2003, 02:00 AM
Have you always used the pitch control? Is it going too mean a new learning curve? I've got quite a few mates who can beat match pretty fast by moving the platter/record with their hands. Seen a lot of DJ's who seem to be using the pitch control.
I tend to move the record with my fingers but always find that the record needs re-adjusting seconds later.

yeah i have, i guess it's just the way i've been used to doing it as none of my mates played the decks so i never saw what way other people did it, which is partly why i never used my hands. I suppose just try it out gradually and see what suits you, i shouldn't think it'd take you that long to get the hang of.

kebabman
06-11-2003, 02:08 AM
Cheers. Will give it a go tomorow. Going to pass out now, if it works will buy you a beer if I'm ever in Dublin, or if your a native a few.

Sunil
06-11-2003, 02:20 AM
Cheers. Will give it a go tomorow. Going to pass out now, if it works will buy you a beer if I'm ever in Dublin, or if your a native a few.

ha ha, thanks, I don't really deserve a pint for that! yeah if you're ever in Dublin we'll get hammered and talk about pitch controls!

Kevin Gorman
06-11-2003, 06:40 AM
i use pitch control for all my mixes, i find its the best method for mixing. I find that the touching of the platter to speed up the record can be heard over a sound system while using the pitch control does not.

Jimfish
06-11-2003, 08:02 AM
spot the cheddar!

Angrymann
06-11-2003, 10:07 AM
Is this a wind up???

EmotionComplex
06-11-2003, 10:15 AM
when im beat matching i cue the record in then bring it up to a rundabout speed as the one im mixing in to, then leave it for a couple of seconds to see if its accelerating or decelerating away from the allready being played track, then i adjust the pitchto corrospond to the other track. if the record is falling behind ill push it forward then once the tempo is locked speed it up slightly again so it wont fall behind and keep doing this until both records stay locked, takes about 30-60 seconds tops.

not that it really matters how your doing it though as long as its working, but i get the feeling this is being brought about as being "trendy" or somethin :neutral: ?

FuK-NuT
06-11-2003, 10:53 AM
i use the pitch control, thats what its there for init.....

Jimfish
06-11-2003, 11:04 AM
im gonna get myself a moody "too-cool-for-school" pic just like kevins.
Its amazing.
maybe if i just suck my cheeks in a little...

Angrymann
06-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Come on Jim that's a little unfair , with a photo like that the boy wants to be taken seriously . He turned down offers to join The Back Street Boys and New Kids on the Block , to follow his dream. Lay off the guy will you ;)

gumpy green
06-11-2003, 01:01 PM
a good mixer will be able to set the speed using the pitch slider that good that he/she dont need to touch it to keep it in time...it stays in on its own.

Only a small push/shove will be needed every now and then and can be done either by touching the platter/record/spindle or moving the pitch slider a little.........but this should be hardly ever needed if the speed has been set correctly...

that my theroy.....just set the pitch correctely and life is easier.

http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk

Buttman
06-11-2003, 02:01 PM
I usually just throw out the record in the mix. Then I keep the speed with finger and adjust pitch with other hand til I can let go of record without having it slacking.
Atleast when I am in my offbeat madness mood =)

When I mix deeper/darker stuff I tend to use pitch only except when finding cue point (obviously).

lunatrick
06-11-2003, 02:32 PM
I find using the pitch control can work well, I tend to rapidly slide the pitch up to 'bump' the record on, and then settle it back to just above where I started - which seems to work as the equivalent of manually pushing it on, then altering the pitch...

StoQ
06-11-2003, 06:46 PM
i use both. it depends on situation :twisted:

FORCE 5
06-11-2003, 09:32 PM
mmm i tend to use the pitch control more than touching the platter also but then again sometimes you need to touch the platter if its gona be faster.. also if a record is a 33 i tend to hold down on the 33 and tap the 45 button which is dam wicked if your tune is lagging..its a much quicker and cleaner sound than the old finger wobble.

each to their own though huh :lol:

Philth
07-11-2003, 03:37 AM
^^ holy avatar batman.... trim your nose hair....

Kevin Gorman
07-11-2003, 10:22 PM
im gonna get myself a moody "too-cool-for-school" pic just like kevins.
Its amazing.
maybe if i just suck my cheeks in a little...

:lol:

duncandisorderly
10-11-2003, 02:15 PM
use whatever method works for you matey. if you wanna touch the records - theyre your records to touch.

serox
10-11-2003, 05:03 PM
i learned to mix without using the pitch.

when i first started to mix my m8s said u can feel more whats going on if u r touchin the record. and i had not seen people do it any other way. only recently i saw ppl stik a record on and not touch it?! they used just the pitch, i tried it and cannot work it out.

if u put the record on u might match the speed quickly, but the record is not in the right place? so do you speed it way up, then hav to slow it down once it is in the right place?!

:doh:

gunna go try it again now, cos i think it would be cool to know how to do it without tocuhin the record...

Philth
10-11-2003, 06:33 PM
^ yeah, basically you just have to practice and you get a feel for doing it. if you are used to touching the record, it's instinctive to do that, but try to avoid doing it and practice this way. personally, i do both depending on the setup and situation... gives you more options if you can do both methods and still not sound like you are changing the pitch of the record noticeably. when i am "in the mix" i don't touch the record. by that time your records should be close to being matched, so you can ride a mix out for a long time just by making minor adjustments to the pitch control.

sometimes you play on decks that are crap and the pitch control is not responsive, which can f' you up by just using the pitch control imo.

caustic
11-11-2003, 12:31 AM
hey at the end of the day what ever works best for u...init!

as for kev mate...i can speed up the record with out it being noticed over a system...and i have noticed someone doing the same with a pitch control..so your theory is wrong.

really who cares...if ya cant mix then ya cant mix...pitch or record!

poo

Kevin Gorman
11-11-2003, 05:29 AM
hey at the end of the day what ever works best for u...init!

as for kev mate...i can speed up the record with out it being noticed over a system...and i have noticed someone doing the same with a pitch control..so your theory is wrong.

really who cares...if ya cant mix then ya cant mix...pitch or record!

poo

congrats bro! i havnt seen very many people in my end of the woods who can master that method without having an ovious pitch bend sound all the time. you would probley make them jellous :)

WillGraney
11-11-2003, 10:46 AM
Just the pitch for me. I'd seen some of the bigger names on the scene playing this way when I was starting out & decided I'd do it that way. I learnt originally by touching the records, but that was when I had belt drives, lmfao.

As soon as I had Technics I went the pitch control route.

278d7e64a374de26f==