PDA

View Full Version : all you toronto boys...

Adverse
07-01-2003, 05:54 AM
there's seems to be a plethora of you guys on this board yet the scene in toronto is dismal, what's up?.. correct me if i'm wrong.

engine
07-01-2003, 06:50 AM
^^ ahaha just out sienfeld.

I can think of 4? I know Johnny Funk (thats why i know this board exists)- and DSP is from t.dot. and i've seen a couple of other names here and there. our scene isn't dismal- just the techno is. and by techno i mean techno fans. we have the rave scene and club scene. the rave scene now in toronto was brought up on lots of hoovers and hard trance but mostly jungle and drum and bass. so we have lots of junglists who arnt ravers and dont go to raves but are jugle soldiers and go to jungle parties (sure thing there).
we used to have a rip roaring good techno scene. then the biggest techno promoter in the city got ahead of him self and tried to do an all out techno weekly in a really large club and failed horribly- losts tons of money and he's been pretty scarce ever since.
we have techno here and there- but none of us ever want to band together. I dunno?
ive said **** it and joined the Free Tekno scene here with most of my little heart and dedicate our sound stage to techno along with all the other strange sound stages here in toronto (we have one that is seriously trying to build a space ship!).
our scene is just do divided and uneducated about other sounds (and esspecially other dj names- if they guy hasnt been raped by at least 10 different promotion companies at least 2 times each then no one wants to see you).
Techno here means small.
and i dont mind.
Free Tekno and our Teknivals and such are keeping things alive in truest sense of the word (and the word underground) and breathing life back into all sorts of genres. Popular Techno in toronto means.. 22+ almost retired ravers digging the deep sounds, super minimal sounds and electro sounds only.
I could go on and on and on and on and probably fill Marks server that he has his board on here up so much that teh poor thing would crash.

so lets here what the other people have to say

cheers
tyler

John Vella
07-01-2003, 07:50 AM
My theory is to recruit all the newbies to our sound....

I personally think a terrible rift was created somewhere along the line when Techno somehow became associated with Snobbery....

Maybe it was just a case of the good people in the techno community being overheard by the pricks? Who knows....

All I know is the whole thing turned off most of the newcomers.... Many Newbies I spoke to back then said they were feeling intimidated by alot of the people at Phryll parties for whatever reason. So they remained in the Happyhardcore scene.

Like I said above, the good people at events like Phryll were being overheard by the people who really were the snobs... People who looked down at people with emotion. People who looked down on those having a good time and showing it. People who looked down at those who were not taking notes and stroking chins alongside them. People who looked down at those who were not joining them in some trainspotting.

I am glad Nightmare is now around to help push our sound to a large audience. Perhaps it will grow as a result, perhaps it will not.... But I think the more parties where kids are having a blast and dancing to techno the better.

I think we can all help the cause of techno in this city by being good ambassadors. Events such as FreeTekno are great for this because people can see that Techno DOES NOT equal snob.

PEACE

-JOHNNY

sinner
07-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Toronto is a fairly diverse musical city, compared to most in North America. I'm not sure exactly what has caused it, but I'm not going to complain about it.

Unfortunately the biggest problem is people, both the technofreaks and everyone else.

I have missed countless events I should have attended, only because I had a very apathetic attitude towards things, and was quite sick of all the hassles that started coming up everytime I ventured out, from promoters just messing up, to the lines out the door and down the block, and the kids stumbling around puking on everything.

I love what nightmare especially has done, and they are continuing to do a bang up job and hopefully that will continue.

I didnt realize there were a few more toronto people showing up. I should pay better attention

Mike

embryon
09-02-2003, 04:15 PM
yeah, i have to agree with the entire concept of Toronto being a very musically diverse city. thing is, a lot of the splintering of genres creates whole groups of people that can't tolerate going to a party that's not - a)firmly established or; b)exactly what they're into and familiar with.

too many people that don't have musically open minds. that, and well, a lot of apathy in the scene. and that apathy makes it hard for a lot of people trying to move the scene forward. things get frustrating and people just can't keep giving and giving to a scene that doesn't care. i've seen it happen countless times.

but either way, scenes survive out of sheer willpower and the dedicated few...

MARKEG
09-02-2003, 04:31 PM
something has to be done about it. if you're not getting new ppl into your sound, then there's something wrong. techno has always had its 'snobby' attitude in every country - that truly sucks and is the main problem - but as artists/dj's and producers we have to take a new attitude to ppl. and the more like minded ppl you can find, the better. then you create your own scene.

i remember first meeting the liberators and thinking 'this is so refreshing'. i couldn't stand their music at first but i liked their attitude. those guys has got so many new ppl into techno cause of this and showed them the +ve's of underground music (even though to some in the techno scene, acid techno is not good music - each to their own!!!) . they created a whole scene for themselves. it was their attitude that got me into their sound. i like being around +ve people and i gradually started to understand where their music was coimng from!

other ppl throuhgout the world are doing a similar thing with their parties and own techno scene. if you want the techno scene to sort itself out within toronto it's up to someone to do something about it!!!! one person isn't going to change the world, but a strong group of likeminded ppl have a chance to change something for a new generation of people.

technosnob
08-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Toronto has a huge identity crisis.....We need other countries (AMERICA) to tell us what is good or popular music. The list of Canadain talent of any genre of music that had to leave this country to be repackaged and sold back to us is a long one.

Music in America is based on the BLACK EXPERIENCE. Every form of music from any era in the last century has been affected; Jazz(1920's & 1930's), Rock&Roll(1950's to present), Rn'B/Funk (1960's to present), Disco, House music, and of course Hip-Hop. The soul, gospel, blues or what-ever the elements that are inter-twined within music (on the whole)dosen't exsist in the techno I play...MOST PEOPLEIn America and Canada dont get techno...

When people ask what music I play and I tell them 'HARD TECHNO' they get a funny look on there faces...Most of them haven't heard a good techno set...they just don't understand...We need local DJ's who can dish up the goods and get over this identity crisis that Toronto has.

Death to the squeaky and sqwacky techno stigma!!!!

Long live the tribal percussive gutteral techno!!!!

Keep it HARD DIRTY and FAST

Philth
21-03-2003, 04:43 PM
well, a few of us (myself, johnny funk, suavio, fury) have got together and are bringing techno to the masses in toronto. our parties right now are small and intimate and we can use your support if you are from toronto. it's wicked that engine is into the free tekno scene. went to their last party and it was pretty cool.
our next party is on april 12th (saturday). if you can make it, please come and support this... who knows where it will lead.

the event is posted in the "events" section on this site. click here (http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1489&sid=5615c7308d929cf553e0ab6e0 4cb2916)

peace,
phil

278d7e64a374de26f==