PDA

View Full Version : i just ordered a pair of...

rhythmtech
06-04-2007, 01:39 AM
genelec 8030's :cool:

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/productimages/GENE-8030A_L.jpg

thomas_figo
06-04-2007, 02:13 AM
whats price like?

rhythmtech
06-04-2007, 02:29 AM
under 900 euro including shipping

tonyc2002
06-04-2007, 09:36 AM
genelec 8030's :cool:

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/productimages/GENE-8030A_L.jpg

tasty :cheese:

thomas_figo
06-04-2007, 10:17 AM
o yeah man.nice piece of shit

dan the acid man
06-04-2007, 11:01 AM
The dole office is paying you too much:laughing:

rhythmtech
06-04-2007, 11:34 AM
actually i just cancelled my order.

turnkey wanted photo proof of my credit card because i live in ireland.

there are loads of other companies doing them at the same price without all that hassle... just about to re-order them from someone else.

do turnkey actually want customers anymore?

rhythmtech
06-04-2007, 12:33 PM
well turnkey lost out

i just managed to get my hands on a set of mackie 824's for 950 euro including shipping :cheese:

www.thomann.de

loopdon
06-04-2007, 02:43 PM
I have recommended thomann on several occasions.

I think i bought my speakers there as well.

I once sent some e-mails to turnkey as well;
obviously they need some lessons in customer support.

stjohn
06-04-2007, 05:42 PM
nice barry....

thomann customer support are 2nd to none! got a fone call there 2 weeks ago, asking if everything was ok with my machinedrum!! lovely girl she was

rhythmtech
06-04-2007, 05:56 PM
i'll be sittin out waiting for the postie all week!!

aallvor
06-04-2007, 08:49 PM
well turnkey lost out

i just managed to get my hands on a set of mackie 824's for 950 euro including shipping :cheese:

www.thomann.de

Lucky bas... Here in Norway the 824's are 1750 euro...

Time to join the EU methinks!

Oh, and congrats on a great buy :)

dan the acid man
07-04-2007, 12:13 AM
better choice than the genelics anyway

rhythmtech
07-04-2007, 01:02 AM
better choice than the genelics anyway

true..

was a bit concerned about the cabinet size in my small studio but they have a load of control to compensate

stjohn
09-04-2007, 03:45 AM
I have at last just finished a legal wrangling with English based music superstore Turnkey.Hence this post.

Twas last summer when I ordered £3500 worth of studio kit from them.I received some of the items that week but was told that some of the kit had to be ordered in specially and I would have to wait about 3 weeks.Fine I thought,no big deal.

When 4 weeks passed and still no sign I phoned and enquired as to what the feck was happening.I still had £2200 worth of stuff still to come.

I was then told it would be a further 1 month before they could get my ordered stuff.At that point I said I would like to cancel my remaining order as this delay was not accectable.(I must also point out that they debited my bank account the full £3500 when I origianlly ordered).

They said fine and that they would refund me £2200 for the goods not recieved.

Over a month passed with me phoning them everyday to see wat was the delay with the refund and kept being fobbed of,even by their Managing Director,that it would be sorted tommorrow.

Then one day I phoned and they said they had no trace of me ever having placed an order or even recieving e-mails from myself.Remember I was still down £2200.

At this point I sought legal advise but was told it could be a long time before I ever got my doh back,if at all,even though I had a detailed invoice from Turnkey ,saying that they had taken the doh out of my account.

It gets better.

I thought about taking a plane over to see these guys in person.Hang around the shop and follow them home type of stuff.But I not fancy doing time for £2200.

However I did end up phoning them again but this time recorded the phone call,which i know is not admisable in legal terms,and while on hold heard a very interesting conversation between the sales guy and the sales manager.They obviously did not know I could hear or infact that every word was being recorded.

"It's that Irish prick again..." said the sales guy.

"I fu'cking hate those cu'nts,always complaining about something." the sales manager said.

"What you want me to tell him?"

"Tell him he is an IRA bastard and he aint getting his money" said the sales manager.Followed by much laughter.

Then he hung up the phone.

I must have replayed that recording for 48 hours solid at home.Even to me Ma.

Eventually I took a copy to my solicitors and even they were shocked by the content but told me I couldnt use it against Turnkey because I had not asked for permission to record the phone call.Unbelievable.

I then took matters into my own hands and sent a copy to the Managing Director and said if I didnt recieve my £2200 I would send the tape to every newspaper, online forum and TV station who would listen.

Funny,the next day I got an e-mail saying funds to the value of £5000 were in my account.I ran to the bank and sure enuff they where there.

All this from a supposed repuatable firm with adds in all the big music mags.

The moral of the story is obvious.Dont ever use Turnkey to buy anything off.They are liars,thieves and quite clearly bigots.Stay away.

Thought this might be helpful advise to someone who was considering purchasing off them.

DONT DO IT DUDE...

Mon DIeu!!

dirty_bass
10-04-2007, 06:57 PM
I was gonna say, don`t do it, those genelecs suck ass. Painful to use in all but the largest of rooms, and the bass is odd.
The mackies are cool, but you shoulda saved and got some Adams, or even better the new new intelligent JBL monitors.
They have sound detection and correction built in, and using the mic supplied you can set them up for your room to avoid standing waves, bass problems etc.
Loads of dosh, but worth every penny.

eyeswithoutaface
10-04-2007, 07:12 PM
those genelecs are extremely deceptive, i know a few people who are extremely unhappy with them after buying them. The name is not everything remember.

Adam's all the way for me when i sort my finances out i think, but those JBL's sound the business, hopefully my local store will get some in for a good demo session

dirty_bass
10-04-2007, 08:11 PM
those genelecs are extremely deceptive, i know a few people who are extremely unhappy with them after buying them. The name is not everything remember.

Adam's all the way for me when i sort my finances out i think, but those JBL's sound the business, hopefully my local store will get some in for a good demo session

http://www.jblpro.com/products/recording&broadcast/LSR4300/index.html

Check those babies out.
I got a demo when I went to the Soundcraft (Harman International) Warehouse to pick up my mixer today.
When the guy was showing me the room correction shit, I nearly fell over.

Stunning, expensive, but worth saving, and monitors are the most important thing in your studio anyway.

rhythmtech
10-04-2007, 08:21 PM
spending money that i dont have on sound detction monitors after already spending on acoustic treatment would be a bit too costly.. especially since im getting the mackies for the price im getting them at.. even at that price its overstretching the budget... and saving a few more moths isnt really an option as my alesis are really really pissing me off.

rhythmtech
10-04-2007, 08:37 PM
http://www.jblpro.com/products/recording&broadcast/LSR4300/index.html

Check those babies out.
I got a demo when I went to the Soundcraft (Harman International) Warehouse to pick up my mixer today.
When the guy was showing me the room correction shit, I nearly fell over.

Stunning, expensive, but worth saving, and monitors are the most important thing in your studio anyway.

just had a look.. lovely lookin and the technology looks very interesting but they're way outta my price range..

eyeswithoutaface
10-04-2007, 08:47 PM
half price if you order them from the states... probably work out cheaper than the mackies

rhythmtech
10-04-2007, 10:10 PM
half price if you order them from the states... probably work out cheaper than the mackies

nah.. if i order from states i have to add on 21% vat.. which brings them well above the 950euro for the mackies

eyeswithoutaface
10-04-2007, 11:32 PM
nah.. if i order from states i have to add on 21% vat.. which brings them well above the 950euro for the mackies

ahh right

i'd still do it, whilst not denying they are a top class monitor, i never warmed to the mackies like most. Too much on the high end for my liking

saying that i wouldnt say no to a free pair

rhythmtech
11-04-2007, 12:44 AM
ahh right

i'd still do it, whilst not denying they are a top class monitor, i never warmed to the mackies like most. Too much on the high end for my liking

saying that i wouldnt say no to a free pair

i think the highs are exactly what i need.. i've been living with m1 actives for the last two years and the lows were really affecting my mixes.. anyway the mackie's have a lot of room controls and filters.. so hopefully i should be able to get the flat sound im after..

but at that end of the scale its all kinda relative really isnt it.. whether you buy the adam, dynaudio, mackie.. its all serious quality gear.

fatcollective
11-04-2007, 11:29 AM
hey baz, that 950 euro which is about £650 - is that for the pair of the 824's or singles?

rhythmtech
11-04-2007, 11:31 AM
hey baz, that 950 euro which is about £650 - is that for the pair of the 824's or singles?

thats the pair

TechMouse
11-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Unless you can get the store to write "sample" on the box ;)

rhythmtech
11-04-2007, 12:34 PM

tried that with some skate shoes last year

under new laws, if the box is opened by customs and a receipt is found, the company can be fined and in extreme circumstances (i suppose it means on a huge scale) they can lose their license to trade within the eu.. now thats a bit of a worst case scenario.. but it seems to have scared the non-eu companies enough to make them play by the book :grr:

BloodStar
11-04-2007, 02:33 PM

or ask your friend in the States to buy them and then send them to you as a gift. you would not pay VAT.

rhythmtech
11-04-2007, 02:35 PM
:cheese: well the mackies are bought and on route now

eyeswithoutaface
11-04-2007, 02:47 PM
or ask your friend in the States to buy them and then send them to you as a gift. you would not pay VAT.

haha ****ing quality idea!!!

definately doing that when ive saved up for those JBL's, i'd never of thought of that

BloodStar
11-04-2007, 02:58 PM

definately doing that when ive saved up for those JBL's, i'd never of thought of that

hehe cheers, mate. In fact customs will never know how old is the content of the package... Invoice needs to be sent separately, indeed. Also the best to be safe is to send it on different address than the package. Lets say to some of your friends in the town or something like that... Many people in my area is buying the goods from US this way,. works fine, hehe..

loopdon
11-04-2007, 03:53 PM

Gotta make sure it's a REAL friend though, innit!

eyeswithoutaface
11-04-2007, 04:00 PM
yeah of course

no worries there

loopdon
11-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Just making sure, haha.

stjohn
11-04-2007, 06:25 PM
so would u need to present a receipt anywhere in this transaction??? i mean could you order them to be delivered to Mr X's house and then get Mr X just to send them over.... or would you need proof that Mr. X actually paid for them!?!?!

these JBL's sound tast and at $1,000, very do-able

loopdon
11-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Tannoy has something in a similar style (sound adjustment):

MAIN FEATURES

Tannoy Activ-Assist software is designed to assist the user of Tannoy active monitors in setting the DIP switch equalisation features to account for mid, near and close field monitoring distances and varying air loading on the bass driver caused by operating in half, quarter and eighth space environments (sometimes referred to as 'Baffle Step' effect). Typically, these environments could be against a wall or on a table or large support surface such as the meter bridge of a console (half space), in a corner (quarter space) or a worst-case situation such as mounted in a corner on a shelf or table or in a typical outside broadcast mobile vehicle (eighth space).

The program measures the sound radiation characteristics of the monitor compared with a built in anechoic free space reference for a particular model and recommends one of over 2000 DIP switch combinations to get the best possible response for the listener in difficult acoustic conditions. The software, supplied with a pre-calibrated microphone (or use your own flat response microphone with the supplied cables or your own cables) and the necessary cables, requires a typical Windows or MAC notebook, laptop or desktop computer with a standard sound card input/output facility.

http://www.tannoy.com/ActivAssist

dan the acid man
12-04-2007, 12:26 AM
hello, i am an american, send me all your moneya nd i will buy your studio goods for you, howdy:cheese: :laughing:

any takers?

rhythmtech
12-04-2007, 12:32 AM
pm innit :cheese:

dan the acid man
12-04-2007, 12:37 AM
no i wont accept those pics as payment, im not into horses:whoops:

rhythmtech
12-04-2007, 12:50 AM
no i wont accept those pics as payment, im not into horses:whoops:

they're for yer mum ye daft twat.

dan the acid man
12-04-2007, 01:23 PM
they're for yer mum ye daft twat.

oops, i'd forgot she has a thing for horses, it's ever since she got the box set of the godfather films, it's that scene with the horses head in the bed that did it

BloodStar
12-04-2007, 03:28 PM
so would u need to present a receipt anywhere in this transaction??? i mean could you order them to be delivered to Mr X's house and then get Mr X just to send them over.... or would you need proof that Mr. X actually paid for them!?!?!

these JBL's sound tast and at $1,000, very do-able

i think it doesnt matter who will order it. but maybe would be better to leave it on the person in the US.

As for the proof. If mr.X will send them to you as a gift, he can say he doesnt have the bill for it, that he lost it or something like that. and also the guy can say, they are used and he sending them to you for free.

eyeswithoutaface
12-04-2007, 08:44 PM
yeah

there's no law against someone buying something for themselves, and then simply sending a package to a friend oversea's. Put the money in your friends account, they buy the good's, they send them over

its that simple surely

278d7e64a374de26f==