PDA

View Full Version : mac help needed

tOM B
08-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Hey guys got a question that hopefully someone on here may be able to help me with:

I've got a g4 running live 6 and have got myself an edirol fa 101 interface for it. Unfortunately whenever i am playing anything back i get a lot of pops and crackles. The guys in the shop where i got it said that i needed to update my osx which i have done, this hasn't made any difference. Their next suggestion was that i download Firewire sdk 23 and a kernel debug kit off of the mac developer site. I have downloaded these but don't really understand what i am ment to do with them - i have installed the sdk thing and installed firewire audio 2.1.0 off of it which has made no difference. I can't get my head round what the rest of it does the debug kit just seems to be a load of random files which my computer doesn't know what program to use to open them.

The only effect i seem to have had so far is to dramatically reduce the output volume from my mac's internal soundcard??! Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated as this is completley baffling me and i've had this interface sitting here for a few months now doing nothing which is getting very frustrating and the shop i got it from don't seem to be keen to be very helpful

Thanks for looking, i hope someone has the knowhow to help

rhythmtech
08-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Hey guys got a question that hopefully someone on here may be able to help me with:

I've got a g4 running live 6 and have got myself an edirol fa 101 interface for it. Unfortunately whenever i am playing anything back i get a lot of pops and crackles. The guys in the shop where i got it said that i needed to update my osx which i have done, this hasn't made any difference. Their next suggestion was that i download Firewire sdk 23 and a kernel debug kit off of the mac developer site. I have downloaded these but don't really understand what i am ment to do with them - i have installed the sdk thing and installed firewire audio 2.1.0 off of it which has made no difference. I can't get my head round what the rest of it does the debug kit just seems to be a load of random files which my computer doesn't know what program to use to open them.

The only effect i seem to have had so far is to dramatically reduce the output volume from my mac's internal soundcard??! Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated as this is completley baffling me and i've had this interface sitting here for a few months now doing nothing which is getting very frustrating and the shop i got it from don't seem to be keen to be very helpful

Thanks for looking, i hope someone has the knowhow to help

dunno anything about macs but on a pc this could be down to your latency settings within lie or your soundcard

tOM B
08-04-2007, 05:21 PM
as far as i know it's not latency - the soundcard works fine with all other applications and the guys in the shop recognised the symptoms and said the these kits were definately the solution - i just don't get what i'm meant to do with them

cheers anyway

christian wagner
08-04-2007, 10:56 PM
try an updated driver for the Edirol.

RDR
09-04-2007, 08:13 AM
Im not sure either dude, sounds a bit fishy to me. You need to get onto apple's support website and check there.

Also which exact version of 10.4 are you on? currently the last one is 10.4.9, if you havnt downloaded that then you need to. its free.

tOM B
09-04-2007, 10:02 AM
i've been in touch with edirol - they say i'm not the only one with the problem but they haven't found a solution yet

i'm on 10.4.9 already i've posted on the apple forums to no avail

gonna head back to the shop today and bang my head on the counter until they help me out i think :laughing:

RDR
09-04-2007, 02:25 PM
That sort of problem comes under trading standards law as "Not fit for purpose"

Drop that in their lap and see what happens. Which store is it BTW??

tOM B
09-04-2007, 05:52 PM
That sort of problem comes under trading standards law as "Not fit for purpose"

Drop that in their lap and see what happens. Which store is it BTW??

cheers for that i may well have to use it - i've been told they won't refund or exchange unless the goods are faulty. I went in today and none of the guys i spoke to previously were there - handy. The guy who helped me only had the phrase 'i don't know' in his vocabulary. When i showed him the stuff from the devloper website he said - 'who told you to download that, it's not gonna help at all' when i told him it was one of his colleagues he just shrugged!!!!!
He suggested i try the interface on their in store g4 but when i said the problem was exclusive to live 6 i found out they don't run it on any of their machines instore !?!

he didn't have a suggestion of where to go from here so i've told them i'm taking my computer and the interface in on friday and i'm not leaving until i have an interface that does what i want it to and i'm not giving them any more money. Fun and games huh?? Hopefully they'll sort me out if not i'll let you know the name of the store so it can be avoided

eyeswithoutaface
09-04-2007, 07:48 PM
just name them now, think how guilty you'l feel if someone suffers the same fate before friday!

RDR
10-04-2007, 08:16 AM
cmon tom, who is it, sounds like i want to avoid them already.

278d7e64a374de26f==