PDA

View Full Version : hawtin plays boring weak minimal?

...Dave...
17-04-2007, 08:41 AM
you reckon?

went to see him on saturday @ fabric. he absolutely nailed it. hard as nails.

good lad

force
17-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Bollocking shit ****!!!!!! Nooooooooooooo!

I forgot about that.

...Dave...
17-04-2007, 10:46 AM
i swear force i was so shocked. at one point i swear he was playing minimal gabba:laughing:

loved it.

deetron was on form too

dan the acid man
17-04-2007, 11:54 AM
cool, glad it was a good night, i'll get to see him one day soon

Frank Dogshit
17-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Carola is better

stjohn
17-04-2007, 11:11 PM
can u really call it banging tho???? i mean.....was it it just on a nice system??
remember how banging scott's tune sounded on that youtube clip!!

dirty_bass
17-04-2007, 11:42 PM
can u really call it banging tho???? i mean.....was it it just on a nice system??
remember how banging scott's tune sounded on that youtube clip!!

But that`s the whole point.

It`s music that is meant to play very loud through a proper soundsystem.
Minimal is pretty much designed for big rigs.

You play schranze on a nice 60K Thunder ridge, and it sounds a total mess.

But minimal, all those big clean sounds with space, punch right through you.

Proper banging, with punch and dynamic, rather than slush and skrunch.

jk_scowling
17-04-2007, 11:55 PM

True, and on the flip it really sounds bad on lesser systems.

eyeswithoutaface
17-04-2007, 11:58 PM
word up mo'fo

i think alot of people dismiss minimal too easily, then they hear a good minimal set on a good rig, and some people just cant believe it's the same thing

stjohn
18-04-2007, 12:12 AM
this is true!!!

i just mentioned it coz, hawtin is always interesting whnever ive seen him, but BANGIN is never a word i would use to describe him. more like groovin or something#!

i saw him at Sonar last year... which was a wicked set on an absolute monster of a soundsystem, but i still wished it would step up the little extra notch!!

stjohn
18-04-2007, 12:15 AM
skrunch.

new style of techno is it?

BRADLEE
18-04-2007, 12:33 AM

Anything that isn't made well is going to sound a total Mess homie.

Frank Dogshit
18-04-2007, 12:41 AM
did he play pontape?

stjohn
18-04-2007, 01:01 AM
did he play pontape?

:)

The Overfiend
18-04-2007, 02:04 AM

Booyah!

dirty_bass
18-04-2007, 03:30 AM

Well that goes without saying though doesn`t it.

rhythmtech
18-04-2007, 08:45 AM

have to agree.. went to see leibing on saturday and although i didnt really enjoy it, the sound was immense.. sounded ten times better than listening to a mix from him at home (it would anyway but you know what i mean)..

my gripe was that the set didnt really go anywhere.. the first tune could have been his last tune.. no flow to it.. just a single level all the way

BUT there was some guy playing live supporting him Brian Sanhaji... now he impressed me.. minimal yet not too much so.. lovely funky techno with nice drops and builds.. one of the best warm-up sets i've ever seen..

anyone know anymore of his stuff?

ds2
18-04-2007, 08:48 AM
stop press: 4/4 electronic dance beat sounds "banging" when played loud.

ron hardy will be turning in his grave :briggin:

loopdon
18-04-2007, 08:55 AM
have to agree.. went to see leibing on saturday and although i didnt really enjoy it, the sound was immense.. sounded ten times better than listening to a mix from him at home (it would anyway but you know what i mean)..

my gripe was that the set didnt really go anywhere.. the first tune could have been his last tune.. no flow to it.. just a single level all the way

BUT there was some guy playing live supporting him Brian Sanhaji... now he impressed me.. minimal yet not too much so.. lovely funky techno with nice drops and builds.. one of the best warm-up sets i've ever seen..

This Brian fella is the owner of 'enable recordings' , he alos releases or has released under the name 'relic'... that's what i know, must check in detail.

rhythmtech
18-04-2007, 08:56 AM
This Brian fella is the owner of 'enable recordings' , he alos releases or has released under the name 'relic'... that's what i know, must check in detail.

well worth checking out..

loopdon
18-04-2007, 08:58 AM

I heard liebing play when he hadn't gone minimal and was still hard and again when he was kinda inbetween, more funky. He never was my favorite dj, tbh. I really did enjoy his 3 decks action years ago at fusion club münster. sweat was dripping from the ceiling! always smiling like a madman :)

rhythmtech
18-04-2007, 09:05 AM
i loved his u9601 (whatever its called) no. 4 double cd..

the first is kinda funky minimal and the second is hard techno.. really really good range of styles.. thats kinda what i was expecting on saturday.. not the snorefest i got..

but like i said above.. something good came of it - i found a new artist.

just to even the balance about the actual gig.. it has to be said that the kids loved it, so he's obviously doing something right along the way.

eyeswithoutaface
18-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Brian Sanhaji has been around for a few years, has done some great records, and some not so great, nice varied productions too at times, havent had the chance to see him live though, sounds wikid

Frank Dogshit
18-04-2007, 12:30 PM
well worth checking out..

Check out his 'Relic - No Silence EP'

Around the time when hard techno was decent.....

...Dave...
18-04-2007, 07:45 PM
, but BANGIN is never a word i would use to describe him. more like groovin or something#!

trust me on this, i have seen hawtin at every opportunity over the years and this really was BANGIN, its not like this is the first time i have seen a good minimal set or anything:whoops:

some parts of the set were hard as nails.

basslinejunkie
18-04-2007, 07:55 PM
so he was like he was around 97/98??? if so,you jammy ****er

...Dave...
18-04-2007, 08:06 PM
so he was like he was around 97/98??? if so,you jammy ****er

harder:cheese:

but a much nicer defined sound. was a corker of a set indeed:;

markandrew
18-04-2007, 08:38 PM
it is a sweet system in fabric should of gone dave an know he is always good in there :)

djshiva
19-04-2007, 05:19 AM
i just mentioned it coz, hawtin is always interesting whnever ive seen him, but BANGIN is never a word i would use to describe him. more like groovin or som

HAHAHAHA...you shoulda heard him in 1999 at Interstellar Dreamfest in the middle of nowhere midwest USA. he pounded us into an oblivion for like 3-4 hours. it was relentless, hard and twisted.

i do miss those days...

MITA
19-04-2007, 11:14 AM
i listened to a local dj here playing "mnml"
and it sounded like them mnml snobs got bored
with klick klack all the night
seems like this mnml hype need more technoid
sound .and it is starting to sound more old school
techy

herman
19-04-2007, 11:38 AM
On the subject of Ritchie ever being "banging" I recently dug out a promo cassette I have (how old school is that) nice plus 8 art work and everything from when he first visited the UK back in '92 ish and that is absolutely savage near enough 140-150 bpm the whole way through if I get a chance I will digitize it and wack it online somewhere.

...Dave...
19-04-2007, 11:41 AM
On the subject of Ritchie ever being "banging" I recently dug out a promo cassette I have (how old school is that) nice plus 8 art work and everything from when he first visited the UK back in '92 ish and that is absolutely savage near enough 140-150 bpm the whole way through if I get a chance I will digitize it and wack it online somewhere.

please do:;

dan the acid man
19-04-2007, 11:47 AM
yeah, would be great to hear that

duffdeal
19-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Got to agree Hawtins set on Saturday was ****ing phenomenal. Gaisers' live set was sounding pretty sweet before hand but RH cranked it up a good few notches. The first half hour or so was absolute mayhem, crazy disjointed minimal glitchy sound effects flying at you from all directions, delayed vocal clips building and building into chaotic crescendos all built on a foundation of the deepest sub bass I've ever heard. There was nothing minimal sounding about it.

Hawtin can do this with minimal because he's ****ing amazing but I wonder if there are many others out there who can create such devestation using only minimal? Deetron was wicked too but played much more clubby techno.

jiminyblackbox
19-04-2007, 08:31 PM
saw hawtin up in newcastle on fri just gone - superb, chunky minimal techno - a was a bit of a surprise loads more punch and drive than i thought he would play, was impressive!

Traxx
19-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Sounds like a decent line up. Who else was on?

Tiptoe
19-04-2007, 09:34 PM
my mates saw him in leeds at technique on sunday and said he nailed it big time too!

Jay Pace
20-04-2007, 12:49 PM
He's been playing one of my tracks, which I'm over the moon about.

basslinejunkie
20-04-2007, 01:10 PM
what track? lets hav a mooch

dan the acid man
20-04-2007, 01:21 PM
cool, nice one jay:cool:

Jay Pace
20-04-2007, 02:58 PM
not sure, said he'd check his computer

myspace.com/jaypaceaudio

stjohn
20-04-2007, 03:37 PM
HAHAHAHA...you shoulda heard him in 1999

i do miss those days...

ah yea i know!!! but nowadays he's not banging that much! i wish i saw him fabric if he was bangin it out

278d7e64a374de26f==