PDA

View Full Version : Deleting samples??

The Divide
18-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Anyone else on here wonder if they have gotten a bit too carried away with sample collecting? I’m just wondering if I should delete some, got hundreds of samples that sound the same as the next one. Ok, some good ones in there which I mite actually manipulate/use but its like, is this really necessary?

Just wondering how other people go about this, do you sort them or hoard them?

dan the acid man
18-04-2007, 02:04 PM
yeah im the same, i've hoarded loads, need to spend a good few days sorting them out, there's nothing worse than sitting there going through endless samples, kills off the flow you had going

Jay Pace
18-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Have every drum machine ever sampled. Sometimes I cycle through looking for something, but these days, I know what I'm looking for.

It can be good to cycle through samples and replace sounds with different onces - whip through them in redrum or summat

I try and make as many sounds from scratch as I can these days though. Amazing what you can do with a microphone and a bunch of plugins...

The Divide
18-04-2007, 02:54 PM
I do that, probably not as much as I should. Been collecting folley sounds for a bit now as I do video project. I think I will invest in a new mic as the sm57 is ok, but not detailed enough. What kind of mic you got man?

Jay Pace
18-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Just a trusty sm58, which is pretty decent for vocals. And cheap. And if you drop it its not the end of the world...

I'd get a condensor mike, but I tend to use a mike to make weird percussive sounds rather than record my melodious squawkings.

Electrictribe
18-04-2007, 03:27 PM
i must have accumulated 100gb of samples that i sporadically back up. Currently have around 20gb on my harddrive. Just backed that lot up so going to go through this weekend to try and ge tit down to a couple of gig i know i currently want to use.

Have been trying to get back into the habit of sampling for the tune rather than looking through my libaries.

BRADLEE
18-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Yeah I always have to re-order all of my stuff...have close to 250GB of wave files. So that can become quite messy. Only problem is if you remove some samples you've used previously, then you go to re-open that project, it won't be the same. Samples missing or replaced with another sample which has the exact same name....Lord do I hate that....

So yeah while sometimes it's nessicary, it's really a big pain in the ass.

loopdon
18-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Difficult. I tend to use only a little variety of what i have and that's tons. I want to get myself an external hdd so i can gather all the samples there. Not like now where parts reside on my hdd and other on a dozen cds/dvds. I don't want to delete them, i just want to get them out of sight. The question is: has the use of a certain clap or hihat or whatever honestly really ruined a track for you that you liked otherwise? I don't really think so. Though i stumble into that trap regularly.

Having new fx/atmo/pad/vox samples from time to time can be rather refreshing, though, imo.

278d7e64a374de26f==