PDA

View Full Version : MOTD female commentator

DJsmallpaul
19-04-2007, 05:25 PM
"Match of the Day" gets first woman commentator
LONDON, April 19 (Reuters) - After more than 40 years of male domination, "Match of the Day" will get its first female commentator on Saturday in a move that has left some football die-hards crying foul.
Jacqui Oatley, 32, will make television history when she picks up the microphone for the BBC's flagship football show at the Premier League game between Fulham and Blackburn.
While most in football welcomed her arrival in one of TV's last male bastions, critics said it smacked of political correctness and would undermine the BBC's credibility.
"I am totally against it and everybody I know in football is totally against it," former Sheffield United and Wimbledon manager Dave Bassett told newspapers. "The problem is that everybody is too scared to admit it.
"I knew this would happen eventually. The world of football is so politically correct these days."
Daily Mail football writer Steve Curry also saw red, complaining that "Oatley's excited voice sounds like a fire siren".
"I am from the old school when football press boxes and commentary positions were men-only locations and the thought of a female commenting on football was abhorrent," he wrote.
Her move into the Craven Cottage commentary box is an insult to the likes of John Motson, the BBC commentator famous for his sheepskin coat, he added.
Curry and Bassett found little support in the dozens of Internet chatrooms devoted to football. Many said the row was a fuss over nothing, given Oatley's record on BBC Radio 5 Live.
"Any woman that can relieve my ears from the tedious old-man droning of John Motson ... may well have a place in commentating," wrote one contributor.
Roger Mosey, the BBC's head of sport, said the lack of female commentators on TV and radio was "daft".
"It is something we want to put right," he said. "Jacqui, like all our other commentators, has been selected on merit."

xes
19-04-2007, 05:40 PM
10 to 1 says she's pretty and she can explain the offside rule with her nipples.

dan the acid man
19-04-2007, 05:47 PM
can't be any worse than jonathan green:laughing:

Numeric
19-04-2007, 06:42 PM
'Her move into the Craven Cottage commentary box is an insult to the likes of John Motson...'

John Motson is a complete tool these days, his commentry is laughable, as are most of the others, she can't be half as bad as most of the cocks we have to listen to whine over the top of the football...

dan the acid man
21-04-2007, 11:24 PM
well i was all for giving her a chance, personally im not fussed what sex a commentator is as long as they're good, but she doesn't sound so good when she gets excited, well sounds like a put on excited voice tbh

weekender_veteran
22-04-2007, 12:15 AM
well i was all for giving her a chance, personally im not fussed what sex a commentator is as long as they're good, but she doesn't sound so good when she gets excited, well sounds like a put on excited voice tbh

agreed
didnt sound genuinely interested

dan the acid man
22-04-2007, 12:27 AM
sounded like she'd overdubbed it in a studio or something, just wasn't happening, maybe she will get better

weekender_veteran
22-04-2007, 05:11 AM
it would be intersting to know, where motd scalped her from, surley she must have allready been atleast a regonal commentator for a local radio football show?

scouse fm, or soft southerners fm,or sommit.
or even worse?????? yorkshire am :laughing:

Numeric
22-04-2007, 08:42 AM
i didn't see it last night, but give her a couple of weeks to break into the role...

Esox Lucius
22-04-2007, 11:10 AM
football = a MANS game.

women dont really love footy...

it's just feminism innit, they want to go the pub and watch the game, but would you get an invite to their ann summers party or whatever, would you ****.

Numeric
22-04-2007, 11:18 AM
would you want an invite to their ann summers party?

Esox Lucius
22-04-2007, 11:29 AM
****in right i would.

Will
23-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Haha. I completely agree, she was shit, her voice was too shrill and did my head in, it didn't seem right, it didn't work and I never want to have to endure that again. It's bad enough having to sit through the rubbish served up by your average Prem team to finally see the north London derby without having to sit through that as well. I'll have to turn it over in future...

Numeric
23-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Will you're such a miserable c**t, the Everton vs West Ham game was entertaining as was the Charlton vs Sheffield...

granted though the kopites are s**t to watch...

Will
23-04-2007, 04:33 PM
It's alright for you, first on each week, I bet you wouldn't be so happy if your match was one either last or 2nd to last even when you're playing Liverpool or your local rivals so why don't you stop talking out your arse for once.

nick_anarchy
23-04-2007, 06:59 PM
ooooooooooooooo

Numeric
24-04-2007, 12:18 AM
It's alright for you, first on each week, I bet you wouldn't be so happy if your match was one either last or 2nd to last even when you're playing Liverpool or your local rivals so why don't you stop talking out your arse for once.

dude years ago MOTD used to put United on last every week, i didn't care though because i like watching football...

Will
24-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Yeah, right! United were never on last because people always pander to United, how often do 5 Live or ITV show cover another team over United? Hardly ever.

nick_anarchy
24-04-2007, 04:15 PM
well its cos ppl want to see utd before ARSEnal :)

Will
24-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Yeah, glory hunters!

nick_anarchy
24-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Yeah, glory hunters!

yeh must be seing as iv been a utd fan since i was born , likewise with my family and a hell of a lot of utd fans i know !! jealousy simple as that

Esox Lucius
24-04-2007, 04:46 PM
everton games are always one of the last to be shown

nick_anarchy
24-04-2007, 05:02 PM

very true man , and are u cryin about it ?

Esox Lucius
24-04-2007, 05:19 PM
no but im not a bitter about everything gooner :laughing: :cheese:

Numeric
24-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Will i'm talking about like mid 90's, before you were into football, when Arse were s**t, well, even more s**t than they are now...

MOTD would always put United on towards the end of the show...

LittleMinx
26-04-2007, 08:20 PM
football = a MANS game.

women dont really love footy...

it's just feminism innit, they want to go the pub and watch the game, but would you get an invite to their ann summers party or whatever, would you ****.

Oi John i love me footy, and next time i have a ann summers party your invite is in the post ok :;

Will
27-04-2007, 03:13 PM
yeh must be seing as iv been a utd fan since i was born , likewise with my family and a hell of a lot of utd fans i know !! jealousy simple as that

And why do they support Man U?

nick_anarchy
27-04-2007, 04:20 PM
And why do they support Man U?
so you want to go deeper within my familys loyalty within man utd hey ?

my grandad has supported utd all his life so im sure thats the reason my dad became a utd fan from birth , holding season tickets traveling around the world to see utd play , so u ask why ... why do u support arsenal ?

am i hear to answer your stupid questions to prove a point to you ? or cant u deal with the fact that my family have been long time fans of the club ? is that something yu dont like ? ooo does it get to u does it does it pfft
no i got it .. you want to look good by tryin to post a question that i cant answer so that wou'd make you more superior

but as for the ppl i know who support utd i cant answer their questiond for you can i , i dont live in there pockets do i ! i would asume the same ? but i do know a lot have been since birth ..

have u been a arsenal fan siince birth ?

YOUR ACE

dan the acid man
27-04-2007, 05:05 PM

it's even worse in yorkshire, look north (the bbc local news) only talk about leeds utd, the rest of the yorkshire teams hardly get a look in

278d7e64a374de26f==