PDA

View Full Version : YOUR Laptop reviews

RDR
22-04-2007, 09:42 AM
o.k so im after a new laptop (the imac wasnt much fun for taking out live)

So what i am after is the following: Reviews of laptops PC only.

Please include the following -

1. Maker
2. Model
3. Price vs specs
4. Basic specs
5. The retailler you bought it off (please include customer service comments)
6. Reliability

Thanks!

messyfuture
22-04-2007, 01:35 PM
1. Maker Dell

2. Model inspiron 640m duo core1.6ghz 1gig ram

3. Price vs specs i got mine for £570, had to phone them up to get windows xp and you can really get loads of extras of them if you call them, i got the upgraded screen a really nice rucksack to carry it in, after i was finished with them on the phone i bulit the spec that they sold me on their website and it was about £180 more on the site...once you format the hd and take all the dell crap of its great

4. Basic specs duo core1.6ghz 1gig ram, 80gig harddrive 7200rpm, 4xusb, 1x firewire,14.1 inch widescreen truelife tft

5. The retailler you bought it off ..Dell and there customer service has not been to bad..was expecting much worse

6. Reliability.... its sweet so far only had it a month

RDR
22-04-2007, 04:53 PM
1. Maker Dell

2. Model inspiron 640m duo core1.6ghz 1gig ram

3. Price vs specs i got mine for £570, had to phone them up to get windows xp and you can really get loads of extras of them if you call them, i got the upgraded screen a really nice rucksack to carry it in, after i was finished with them on the phone i bulit the spec that they sold me on their website and it was about £180 more on the site...once you format the hd and take all the dell crap of its great

4. Basic specs duo core1.6ghz 1gig ram, 80gig harddrive 7200rpm, 4xusb, 1x firewire,14.1 inch widescreen truelife tft

5. The retailler you bought it off ..Dell and there customer service has not been to bad..was expecting much worse

6. Reliability.... its sweet so far only had it a month

YUM! that sounds good, great tip about the ringing them chief

Have you still got the number???

messyfuture
23-04-2007, 08:12 AM
yea man, 0870 907575128
the guy i spoke to was called rahul and his extension was 70818
make sure you know your exact spec and try not to vary to much from it caus ethey offered me loads of other ones that wernt right
and stick to your budget too....they will try and get you to spend more

TechMouse
23-04-2007, 02:11 PM
1. Maker
Toshiba

2. Model
Equium A100

3. Price vs specs
Price was around £600 - probably a bit less now.

4. Basic specs
Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo 1.6GHz, haven't even touched the sides with this yet. 1GB RAM, 256MB on-board graphics, 80GB HD, DVD-RW (multi-mode, works with just about every writable / rewritable CD / DVD in existance), lovely bright screen, nice and ergonomic, doesn't seem to run too hot, quite slimline.

Currys. Haven't had any customer service issues.

6. Reliability
Has crashed once, but it was with some Beta software.

RDR
23-04-2007, 03:53 PM
1. Maker
Toshiba

2. Model
Equium A100

3. Price vs specs
Price was around £600 - probably a bit less now.

4. Basic specs
Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo 1.6GHz, haven't even touched the sides with this yet. 1GB RAM, 256MB on-board graphics, 80GB HD, DVD-RW (multi-mode, works with just about every writable / rewritable CD / DVD in existance), lovely bright screen, nice and ergonomic, doesn't seem to run too hot, quite slimline.

Currys. Haven't had any customer service issues.

6. Reliability
Has crashed once, but it was with some Beta software.

that sounds good! might try getting one with a bigger HD though.

Chris.

TechMouse
23-04-2007, 05:33 PM
that sounds good! might try getting one with a bigger HD though.
Yeah, the HD is the only problem with it.

To be fair though, most laptops run 5,200 RPM HDs and if you try and go much faster you're going to get heat and energy consumption issues.

A better idea (IMHO) is to go with the 80GB HD, which is more than enough for your system, and then hot swap either USB or Firewire drives. (It supports both interfaces, BTW).

In your case, for example, you could have one drive with all your visuals stuff on and another with your music.

I also got one of those ECHO Indigo PCMCIA soundcards.

RDR
23-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Aye, that was certainly one of my thoughts... i need an external HD anyway and its 5,400 rpm BTW

(Yes get in... i corrected mark on a technical issue.. mwahaha):laughing: :cheese: :ohdear: :briggin:

RDR
24-04-2007, 03:29 PM
yea man, 0870 907575128
the guy i spoke to was called rahul and his extension was 70818
make sure you know your exact spec and try not to vary to much from it caus ethey offered me loads of other ones that wernt right
and stick to your budget too....they will try and get you to spend more

Nah that number doesnt work chief

reckon its one of those temporary ones they assign to customers.

online rep gave me this one

0870 353 3225

TechMouse
24-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Aye, that was certainly one of my thoughts... i need an external HD anyway and its 5,400 rpm BTW
Damn my crappy stopwatch.

(Yes get in... i corrected mark on a technical issue.. mwahaha):laughing: :cheese: :ohdear: :briggin:
Yes yes, enjoy your fleeting victory while it lasts...

RDR
24-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Damn my crappy stopwatch.

Yes yes, enjoy your fleeting victory while it lasts...

curse your intelligent comments... if this was the 1600's they'd have burned you as some sort of witch by now...:ruevil:

RDR
24-04-2007, 07:25 PM
BTW i did the phone thing and they tried charging me more, 50 quid more to get xp pro instead of vista... wankers

but i got this deal

xp home (ill upgrade that with a 50 quid update disk at a later date)
core 2 duo 1.83ghz
2gb 533 ram
80 gb 7200rpm drive (thats 7400rpm if you are techmouse)
15.4 inch screen

on board graphics

640 quid.

anyone seen better? i havnt bought it yet...

dan the acid man
24-04-2007, 07:29 PM
no, you'll never get a cheaper laptop than what dell will offer, seems a great price for the spec

DJCraig Ryan
24-04-2007, 10:15 PM
So would you lads recommend a Dell laptop for getting into production then?

The spec what dodgyedgy mentions sounds good, would you just need to buy a decent soundcard to get cracking?

dan the acid man
24-04-2007, 10:38 PM
So would you lads recommend a Dell laptop for getting into production then?

The spec what dodgyedgy mentions sounds good, would you just need to buy a decent soundcard to get cracking?

you get alot more for your money, they're not as well built as some, like the high end toshibas for example, but then you're paying alot more money for those.

they're still good enough to take some hammering from what i've seen

DJCraig Ryan
24-04-2007, 10:49 PM
you get alot more for your money, they're not as well built as some, like the high end toshibas for example, but then you're paying alot more money for those.

they're still good enough to take some hammering from what i've seen

Ok nice one. Yea a couple of my mates have got Mac laptops but its like you say, you are looking at more bucks. If these are good enough to get going into production in which they sound, gonna deffo purchase one, more in my budget!

bishtay
31-05-2007, 02:40 PM
macs are best ;-)
hehehe
X

techno_smack
31-05-2007, 04:40 PM
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/nbrange.html?RVM

just got this, the one with 2 gig of ram.

£509 with vista os

best deal i could find on the net .

TechMouse
31-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Avoid Vista like the plague.

techno_smack
31-05-2007, 07:12 PM
wats up with vista?

dan the acid man
31-05-2007, 07:23 PM
what's right with it more like:laughing:

It's horrible by all accounts, will hog all your system resources, buggy as hell, some of your hardware wont work with it, some of your software won't work with it etc etc etc

p_brane
31-05-2007, 11:39 PM
i got a ibm through work. it kicks ass

dual core intel.
1 gig mem.

it runs ableton nice man.

dunno how much it cost though.

not allowed to have personal apps on it.

haha

278d7e64a374de26f==