PDA

View Full Version : Minimal

jk_scowling
02-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Minimal always gets a bashing on here, but like everything there is some good stuff out there. After all, there seems to be lots of bad techno getting released as well, and you have to search for the good stuff. In my opinion there are some really good producers at the moment like;

Claro Intellecto - those warehouse sessions records are ace.

Monolake - momentum is a wicked album

Andy Stott - good stuff on modern love.

Female is doing some good stuff on the harder side of things too.

Anyone got any others?

TechMouse
02-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Monolake is definitely very good.

You can get a free track by him from Sutemos (http://www.sutemos.net/), along with all sorts of other free gubbins. Mainly electronica, but quality electronica. Especially the Ruxpin stuff.

I had a big chat about minimal stuff with one of Jay's mates on saturday night.

I don't think minimal is a genre or style so much as an approach.

I tend to think a lot of what gets bandied around as "mnml" or whatever, isn't actually that minimal - it just uses a lot of tiny blippy noises in what are actually quite complex arrangements. Quite like what Akufen does. What they used to call "microhouse" a while back.

Genuine minimal crosses a wide variety of styles, but the whole point is doing a lot with little. It doesn't matter whether it's hard, funky, bleepy or ambient - if there's not much in it then it's minimal.

Jay's stuff is really good, by the way.

Still loving the old Basic Channel stuff.

dan the acid man
02-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Yeah i agree with Techmouse, alot of minimal isn't minimal like it was i.e using very few noises and getting as much out of them as you could for a full tune.

Gabriel Ananda has been mainking some good stuff

basslinejunkie
02-05-2007, 01:00 PM
for me and my own personal tastes,the more simple techno is always the more powerfull. techno should be about rawness and energy,not over complicating it and spoiling what it should be about.

so you can say i am a fan of minimal,but minimal techno. not most of this new age house.villalobos et all can go suck hairy balls.

although in a club enviroment,its probably a completely diffrent kettle of fish.

stjohn
02-05-2007, 04:49 PM
for me and my own personal tastes,the more simple techno is always the more powerfull. techno should be about rawness and energy

im with you! even with the harder edged stuff.... i like it when there not too much going on, not loads of crazy hi hats, just enough to keep the flow and allow room for all the other sounds to do their job!! mulero, wunsch & seb kramer, are examples of minimal-style tuff edge techno imo

TechMouse
02-05-2007, 05:09 PM
If you have lots going on in tunes, they start to sound messy when you mix them together.

That's why minimalism suits Techno as a genre.

DannyBlack
02-05-2007, 05:45 PM
i like a lot of justin berkovi and alex smoke. good stuff. the the MIN sides on the MAX/MIN label. minimal acid... good shit.

audioinjection
02-05-2007, 07:22 PM
i like the more rough edge sounding stuff, but some of the softer minimal is cool too, its all techno and i love it all :)

jk_scowling
02-05-2007, 10:56 PM
I tend to think a lot of what gets bandied around as "mnml" or whatever, isn't actually that minimal - it just uses a lot of tiny blippy noises in what are actually quite complex arrangements.

Yeh, thats true. I suppose its minimal in that a lot of the noises are short snippets rather than the overall sound being sparse.

justin schumacher
02-05-2007, 11:14 PM
the line that is supposed to seperate techno, mnml, tech house doesnt even exist for me. its just good to see people, even on the harder scope, stripping down their songs and going back to tweaked out sound manipulation, arrangement and automation.

we all seem to have gotten over the plethora of drum loops, well most of us...... and that is a good thing.

Maetrik is really doin it for me with that release on Regular.

Also that Jesse Somfay track on Manual - Cygnus Wreath or something like that - is a serious musical masterpiece

FuK-NuT
03-05-2007, 09:52 AM
len faki

acos1
03-05-2007, 12:43 PM
The line between normal techno and minimal is getting more and more blurred these days imo. When u search for records u end up getting some very minimal sounding records in heck out the techno section and vice versa. People should check out "misc." on the sender label for some seriously atmospheric, evil minimal techno.

basslinejunkie
03-05-2007, 12:55 PM
yeah,i love misc.superb music,i posted a cracking live set on here a while ago

force
03-05-2007, 12:59 PM
yeah,i love misc.superb music,i posted a cracking live set on here a while ago

Ahhhh shit, any chance of a repost? :)

basslinejunkie
03-05-2007, 01:04 PM
hhmmmm could be tough dude,it must of been like a year ago,i do have it on cd somewhere tho,so if i find it il re up it :)

force
04-05-2007, 11:54 AM
hhmmmm could be tough dude,it must of been like a year ago,i do have it on cd somewhere tho,so if i find it il re up it :)

Thanks dude, i'd appreciate that loads:cheese:

TechMouse
04-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Anyway, phew... what a relief.

For a minute I thought we might go a month without a thread about mnml.

basslinejunkie
04-05-2007, 01:18 PM
ok ok oops,i said i didnt like most of it in a respectfull manner,shame on me. il now lead the hate gang

boooo,booooo,hisssssss,burn all mnml ****tards at the stake

and so on

Little_Fella!
05-05-2007, 03:33 AM
There's an earlier thread re minimal and genre blurrings (Minimal isn't Minimal), which if you havn't read has some very interesting points in there..

(only quoting myself from that thread so I don't have to write this out again)

I agree with the idea of it being an approach totally... doing alot with a little..

Maybe some are trying to do too much with too little and thats where the problems lie..

This track by Flinsch 'n Nielsen, for me, hits the idea of how it should be bang on...

http://www.discogs.com/release/852607

I've mentioned this tune before and it was on BOAR last Sept. 21st

Aratron
06-05-2007, 02:23 PM
i desperately need to jump onto another bandwagon.
can anyone give me a minimal techno by numbers guide to the scene please?

dan the acid man
06-05-2007, 02:43 PM
well if you was wanting to jump onto the supposed bandwagon (what ever that is) then you're a bit late, the backlash to minimal started a while back.

anyways, it's all techno, no matter what it is, just listen to as much new music as possible, if you like it buy it and play it, who cares if its minimal, electro, acid techno, acid house, tech house, funky techno, hard techno etc etc

Aratron
06-05-2007, 02:55 PM
well if you was wanting to jump onto the supposed bandwagon (what ever that is) then you're a bit late, the backlash to minimal started a while back.

anyways, it's all techno, no matter what it is, just listen to as much new music as possible, if you like it buy it and play it, who cares if its minimal, electro, acid techno, acid house, tech house, funky techno, hard techno etc etc

yeah i'd really like to get some more tech house

eyeswithoutaface
06-05-2007, 03:27 PM
minimal is great, hard techno is great, tech house is great, mutant jazz funk is great.... get the picture?

if everyone tried actually making a bit of music instead of just slagging all the annoying sub-genres (the actual sub-genration (spelling?) being the annoyance) then music as a whole would benefit

Frank Dogshit
06-05-2007, 03:40 PM
did you end up goin chibuku young grayling? any good?

loopdon
06-05-2007, 04:25 PM
minimal is great, hard techno is great, tech house is great, mutant jazz funk is great.... get the picture?

if everyone tried actually making a bit of music instead of just slagging all the annoying sub-genres (the actual sub-genration (spelling?) being the annoyance) then music as a whole would benefit

WORD

eyeswithoutaface
06-05-2007, 04:52 PM
did you end up goin chibuku young grayling? any good?

i never mate no, was in hospital earlier this week with a problem so opted out of a weekend's hard raving. Just spoke to Whitey the girls are still over in Liverpool, sounds grim

wrong
08-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Jacob London is doing some good stuff (always has done but right now he seems to be really sorting it out), kind of fat , quirky house music..
The Zinch label.. check the new mascon double 10", something for us all there, and all of a very high standard
Neil Landstrumm NEW album about to drop on planet mu...
FRANKIE RECORDS from france, i guess it would be put in the minimal bracket, but for me its really something special... very good natured, unpretentious and darn right funky basslines and wobbley bloopy bits... check out HUNT and the 1st record of the new double pack (no.20)

Frank Dogshit
09-05-2007, 12:44 AM
masterbuilder...beat that.

makes me smile like a ****er everyday of the week.

278d7e64a374de26f==