PDA

View Full Version : noob needs feedback! (hard techno)

decoherance
04-05-2007, 05:27 PM
ez people,
im new here, well i signed up ages ago but never really posted.
anyways ive got back into producing techno after 5 years trying to make drum&bass and i wouldnt mind a bit of feedback on this tune.

http://www.freewebtown.com/decoherance/library/audio/fight2.mp3

muchos gracias,
i will get round to listening to everyone elses stuff this weekend (bit pushed for time atm)

;)

rhythmtech
04-05-2007, 06:38 PM
listening now.

nice and loud.. although the first thing that hits me is a lack of low down power.. needs a bit of sub.. kick has a lovely thump to it elsewhere though.

i think the lack of sub is really making the mids stand out too much.. you could do with a little panning on the elements too.. everything seems to be bang down the centre.

all in all quite a good mix. would sound nicer with sub though.

not gonna comment on the actual track as it aint my kinda style.

DannyBlack
04-05-2007, 06:48 PM
as per what rhythm tits says, yeah agreed needs more sub. but as a hard techno nut id have to say yeah, you're on to a winner.

decoherance
04-05-2007, 06:57 PM
thanks guys.
yeah, a lack of sub always seems to be my problem. im using krk rp5's so anything under 60hz gets lost. ive compressed the whole mix so added an extra channel with just the bass from the kick hoping it would sort it out, but obviously not! ive only spent 5 hours on it so far anyway so ive got a lot to do.
as far as panning is concerned, i always tend to mix in mono as most club systems are mono and its not exactly home listening music imo. i guess im scared of losing elements. might do a stereo mix though just to see...
cheers.

rhythmtech
04-05-2007, 07:03 PM
thanks guys.
yeah, a lack of sub always seems to be my problem. im using krk rp5's so anything under 60hz gets lost. ive compressed the whole mix so added an extra channel with just the bass from the kick hoping it would sort it out, but obviously not! ive only spent 5 hours on it so far anyway so ive got a lot to do.
as far as panning is concerned, i always tend to mix in mono as most club systems are mono and its not exactly home listening music imo. i guess im scared of losing elements. might do a stereo mix though just to see...
cheers.

doesnt make a differance about the club systems.. the stereo eleaments will still be heard.. unless you extreme pan.. but that sounds gash anyway.

as far as the sub is concerned.. try this

add a 808 kick to the mix and route it into the compressor with your main kick. only mildly cut it right down the bottom end (if at all) as long as the sample is good you should be ok with it.

loopdon
04-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Not listened yet but adding to what rhythmtech said - 808 kicks are something you should prolly be familiar with regarding your d'n'b background... :)

they are nicely tunable as well which makes them easier to handle. regarding panning - you can always play around with m/s processing as well (ms=mid/side), there's a free tool for this on the voxengo homepage. pretty powerful technique and can help achieve/correct mixes that sound nice in a home listening situation and don't fall apart on a rig. plus the obvious ''keep bass mono, go wide(r) above that ''

judas_beast
06-05-2007, 09:01 PM
I like this mate. It is quite lacking in low end thump. I also thought it seemed to stay with the ''main'' groove for a lot of the track, could perhaps be mixed up a little in places, to add interest. Sometimes I just make mini breaks for half a bar or whatever, perhaps with a 'verbed vocal or something to keep the pace of the track.

Definately my style of music, I would perhaps like to hear a little more filth in Techno of this pace, maybe some tastefull distortion or what not.

All in all, good stuff mate. Make some more. NOW!

decoherance
07-05-2007, 01:00 PM
played this on my mates sub yesterday and yeah, i see what you mean now! ive layered an 808 under the kick now and sounds loads better, thanks for that. ive also added a few bits and bobs to keep it interesting.
will post up the finished product in a couple of days

278d7e64a374de26f==