:rulove: :rulove: :rulove: :rulove: :rulove: :rulove: :rulove:

loopdon
07-05-2007, 08:18 AM
NO

RDR
07-05-2007, 08:21 AM
in fairness its not a bad plugin

but version 2 sucks the big one.

Its NOT a rescue remedy for tracks and has the tendency to crush the life out of the dynamics.

does o.k. at warming up digital parts, but TBH they should be warm enough going in.

tonyc2002
07-05-2007, 12:42 PM
i love it, i truly do :cheese:

stjohn
07-05-2007, 12:44 PM
for a while, the VW used to be on my master channel for every tune, then i started to hear the loss of dynamics.

then without it i started to focus more attention on the actual mix, trying to get it to sound right without any master compression, and more times times than not...when i would test the PSP VW on it after all of that, it would just sound wrong!!

it can be nice tho

tonyc2002
07-05-2007, 01:15 PM
i agree with what your all saying, its not a substitute or a quick fix for a shit mix (haha i rhymed) but sparingly used on the master (especially in fat mode) can really bring out the warmth in the low end and if your mix is nice it can make it sound oh so tasty

rounser
08-05-2007, 05:41 AM
It's got about 7 more pots than I like to deal with on effects. Could never really get my head around the demo, and I felt uneasy about arbitrarily using presets. Someone at CM magazine seems to adore it.

If we're talking butt-saving effects, though, I think Elevayta Space Boy is right up there. It, too, has an obscure interface, but it potentially saves hours of faffing around with EQs.

dirty_bass
08-05-2007, 09:25 AM
I think unless you really understand compression, then this effect will probably do more harm than good, especially over an entire mix.

I Never use this over a whole mix, only on parts now and again to give them some added warmth.

loopdon
08-05-2007, 09:37 AM
In CM (i think) they ALWAYS whack this and BBE over EVERYTHING. That can't be good...

In moderation it might be good depending on who is using it. There are some nice alternatives to this though. You can always download Christian W. Budde's VST Analyzer to see what a plugin is actually doing. It's always a good thing to make sure you ain't just liking things because of high-end boost and/or volume boost.

p_brane
08-05-2007, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=loopdon;530950]. You can always download Christian W. Budde's VST Analyzer to see what a plugin is actually doing. QUOTE]

good shout loopdon. ill give this one a whirl for sure.

loopdon
08-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Just in case you can't find the link to the analyzer:

http://www.savioursofsoul.de/Christian/Programs/VSTPluginAnalyser.zip

p_brane
08-05-2007, 01:16 PM
cheers martin your a legend.

Jay Pace
08-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Nice on individual tracks, esp synths, never on the master channel.

for a while, the VW used to be on my master channel for every tune, then i started to hear the loss of dynamics.

Used to do exactly the same. strips all your dynamics out of a mix. boo....

Andy
10-05-2007, 09:44 AM
In CM (i think) they ALWAYS whack this and BBE over EVERYTHING. That can't be good...

I wouldnt take any notice of magazines like CM and FM
Its 90% marketing bullshit

Vintage warmer is ok in moderation but very overrated

Magneto in Cubase is worth a try too

loopdon
10-05-2007, 10:39 AM
True i guess. Imagine you stripped all the sentences advising you to fling bbe/vw over something from the production articles. They'd be pretty short after that, i am sure.

Andy
11-05-2007, 12:00 AM
oh yeah same with most of the tutorials in those magazines, they'll always be advising some new plugin.
After reading them for a while you notice the same old articles over and over, only with new plugins you must buy lol

Ive found theres much more to learn reading various websites and forums

Those magazines are just marketing.. from tutorials to reviews to artist interviews.. it always comes down to them implying that if you need to buy the latest software\hardware

"sound like Dre.. use vintage warmer"
"sound like Liam Howlett.. use Reason"
"sound like Pendulum.. use the latest rob papen vst which is 90% same as the last one"

anyway you get what im saying lol :D

Jay Pace
11-05-2007, 10:37 AM
A magazine needs enought content to justify being a monthly magazine, and it needs to repeat enough content so that it always has basic "beginners guides" for people dipping in and out.

Music mags suck. Websites are a thousand times better - and you are much more likely to learn from your peers than a music mag.

loopdon
11-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Jay, you probably are right but you don't know how nice CM/FM are compared to similar magazines here in germany. Seriously, Uk music mags must be the best worlwide, you are spoilt :)

rhythmtech
11-05-2007, 11:31 AM
sound on sound is the only one i'll buy these days

loopdon
11-05-2007, 11:39 AM
SoS is in a different league, no doubt.

TechMouse
11-05-2007, 12:36 PM
SoS is a good read, no doubt about that.

It's what I usually pick up if I've got a train journey ahead of me.

278d7e64a374de26f==