PDA

View Full Version : the faces behind the music

Col
13-11-2003, 01:13 AM
is it important to you, to know a producers history/background, and views on music, life etc, before you decide to purchase records from that particular artist? or dont you give a shit whos behind the music, just as long as it sounds good to you?

i mean for me its important, although sometimes i think music can detract from a producers personality, what im trying to say is ive bought music from particular artists (mainly with trance) without knowing little info on what they are about, but i really enjoyed the music, but for example i read an interview by that particular artist and the music dosent seem to reflect that particular artists personality. that dissapoints me, because i want music to mean something, i think music should reflects ones feelings/dreams/etc.

take for example, chris mccormack, i feel comfortable buying his music, because i like his views/thoughts on music/press etc.

if for example, pete tong began making techno that you really appreciated would you go out and buy it?

Dustin Zahn
13-11-2003, 04:02 AM
At the end of the day, I don't care who produces it or what the label art looks like as long as I enjoy it. If someone released a record that I didn't feel very highly of before...I might not be so quick to listen to the record. But if I actually got around to listening and liked it, I would pick it up.

I will agree...I think its really cool when a producers background, thoughts, theories, or ideas reflect their music. Theres a few producers out there where I really respect their opinions and I can see even better what they're trying to explain with their music...not just in techno, but in all different styles of music.

WillGraney
13-11-2003, 10:22 AM
For me, if I like the tune I'll buy it.

I also agree with this:

I will agree...I think its really cool when a producers background, thoughts, theories, or ideas reflect their music. Theres a few producers out there where I really respect their opinions and I can see even better what they're trying to explain with their music...not just in techno, but in all different styles of music.

but if a tune makes me want to dance or I think it'll make other people want to dance then I'll buy it regardless of who it's by. Including Pete Tong, lmfao - the man's a legend, knows more about music than I could ever dream to.

wenna
13-11-2003, 10:28 AM
i think that ultimately its about do u like the sound! but it is nice to know a bit about the producer/label aswell.

miromiric.
13-11-2003, 11:04 AM
tune iz a tune.if its dope itz dope.

but sometimes for real complex musical pieces you have to know the background of the music (if there is any) to fully understand it.

bornaa is this a horsecrap what miro just said?

bornaa
13-11-2003, 11:22 AM
it is. but i totaly agree with this horescrap ^_^

knowing artist's background helps us understand what his music is about, wheres it coming from n wheres it goin, but again, if you look at the artist as a medium of expressing ideas even in a subconscious way, xpressing some things he himself is not aware of wich are probably deep down in each of us, undiscovered, i would buy justin timberlakes new techno track if it was dope. ;)

Esox Lucius
13-11-2003, 11:29 AM
For me, if I like the tune I'll buy it.

I also agree with this:

but if a tune makes me want to dance or I think it'll make other people want to dance then I'll buy it regardless of who it's by. Including Pete Tong, lmfao - the man's a legend, knows more about music than I could ever dream to.

pete tong is wrong! :lol: he's a terrible dj though, I seen him in ibiza and his set was terrible.

Angrymann
13-11-2003, 11:32 AM
I won't deliberatley go out and find out about a producers background before buying their records. But if I did happen to read an inerview or whatever and I liked what the person was saying then I do think that would persuade me to always seek out their stuff. If I feel they are really passionate or have good views on music then I will have increased respect for them.
Perfect example given earlier ,Chris McCormack. I read an interview with him (think it was on this site) and after reading it , I felt like standing up and clapping the guy. He is a perfect example of someone who is in it for the music and the music only.

Richie Hawtin , I also admire a lot because of his passion for exploring and using new technology to push his own musical boundaries.

Another artist is James Liddell , I think his music is very much in keeping with his personality.

Also I think it's important that producers have ideals or goals themselves when making music. I think it shows when someone is just making banging tunes with no real concept to it.

But I do think I can be a bit of a snob sometimes. For example I saw a Fergie techno record and a Mauro Piccotto one and wouldn't normally bother to pick them up. I did and I was right , the Fergie one was shite and although I didn't dig the Piccotto one , you can't fault his production or his ability to make tunes. But my mind was almost made up for me before I listened.

Inquisitor
13-11-2003, 12:04 PM
It's not important to me to know the background,ideas etc of a certain producer, especially not in the techno music. I think that beauty can not be fully explained by words and that it speaks for itself.For example i'd respect Mills much more if he had never published any pseudometaphysical new age bullshit with his cds,eps.Although i respect his music as much as i did before knowing anything about him.Its different with other styles of music,For example i was very interested to find out wut diffeent Pink Floyd members thougth about certain issues when i was heavily into their stuff and it helped me to understand their music a bit more afetr readin a few interviews.I dont think that would have happened if i read an interview with Antohny Child.

miromiric.
13-11-2003, 12:19 PM
that happened with me with child. its just i first fell in love in his music then read some his ideas and kind of a just verified that his music stands for what i believed it is.

but it is very tricky thing, cause u can easily fall on the marketing behind some shit.

Si the Sigh
13-11-2003, 12:21 PM
i would buy justin timberlakes new techno track if it was dope. ;)

you liked that new Justin Timberlake promo then? :lol: ;)

Buttman
13-11-2003, 12:54 PM
pete tong is wrong! :lol: he's a terrible dj though, I seen him in ibiza and his set was terrible.

What were you doing in Ibiza anyways? :lol:

bornaa
13-11-2003, 01:42 PM
that happened with me with child. its just i first fell in love in his music then read some his ideas and kind of a just verified that his music stands for what i believed it is.

inquisitor, miro, i totaly understand what u mean. but again at the same time it seems kinda silly that we need artists explanation to understand and accept this music better. wich we do, no doubt, it really does give much insight, but i wouldnt stick to it like pope to the bible. do you think that you wouldn't be such a fan of anthony's music now if it turned out to be that his music stands for something you dont believe in? it would still be the exact same music. what i wanted to ask here really is that do you guys think that the listener can maby perceieve music with higher or maby even better to say totaly diferent but equal understanding than the one of the artist? or is the artist the one who sets the boundaries of a piece and everything outside of the boundaries of artist's rational ideas expressed in that piece would be like "missing the point"?

Col
13-11-2003, 03:38 PM
. what i wanted to ask here really is that do you guys think that the listener can maby perceieve music with higher or maby even better to say totaly diferent but equal understanding than the one of the artist? or is the artist the one who sets the boundaries of a piece and everything outside of the boundaries of artist's rational ideas expressed in that piece would be like "missing the point"?

thats a good point. surely they are times when a listener takes more from the music, than the actual artist who produced it, or even misreads the thoughts put into the music. pure electronic music is obviously much harder to read, than a vocal led track (this is one of the reasons why i love techno so much) but i dont know, there are artists out there who set out to create a specific mood, if you dont reach a similar level of thought or feeling from the track that the artist wrote in the first place, like u say, are u missing the point? and does it really matter? maybe, maybe not? is the artist happy that people buy their music, even if it is been misread?maybe the related artist is the only person to answer these questions.

time to get deep...

dan the acid man
13-11-2003, 04:17 PM
i went years without knowing anything about the producers of the records that i was buying, it was only when i started using the internet that i began to find information on these people, or when i saw them dj or play live. i have to say its nice to know what these people look like and what they believe in but it doesnt bother me one bit if i dont know anything about the person behind the music. having said that i couldnt carry on buying somebody,s music if i found out he was racist.

Small Paul
14-11-2003, 03:38 PM
I don't think it really matters that much. I mean I will pick out stuff by producers I recognise but generally it depends on the cover of the tune as to whether I'll drag it out for a listen. But as long as it sounds good, who cares? :eh:

gunjack
14-11-2003, 04:42 PM
ignorance is bliss.

The Overfiend
14-11-2003, 04:56 PM
if the song is good that is all that matters.
I don't care what kind of car you drive what's on your mind and such, your music should be a refelection of how you felt the moment you made it.

miasma man
14-11-2003, 08:23 PM
I think it's very useful to know the producers background, influenes etc -I've learnt loads from reading up and stuff.

It's even better to know if their heart is in the right place...

Col
14-11-2003, 08:52 PM
I think it's very useful to know the producers background, influenes etc -I've learnt loads from reading up and stuff.

It's even better to know if their heart is in the right place...

my thoughts exactly.

so i pose this question: an unkown money grabbing turd who holds vast production knowledge makes a techno record, this producer feels nothing for the music hes just made, as it is for commercial advantage only. (unlikley as it seems, just suppose this does happen)

not knowing this info, you listen to the record, and purchase it. a few days later u find this record was made for commercial purposes only and the producer has no feeling for the record made.

would u still play/listen to this record? would u purchase further records from this producer provided u enjoyed them?

i for one would feel cheated, and wouldnt go near a record from this producer. can u honestly say u would?

278d7e64a374de26f==