PDA

View Full Version : Lawrie Immersion, Routemaster & Pounding Grooves...

Si the Sigh
06-06-2007, 11:19 AM
...keeping the scene alive. :rockin:

Never ever fails to impress. In a time where theres so many weak releases being churned out, Lawrie still puts out nothing but quality tracks on tip top quality labels.

All hail the un-sung king!

rhythmtech
06-06-2007, 11:26 AM
definitly..

routemaster, pattern play, pounding grooves, techno slut etc etc have all produced classic tracks 99% of the time..

now if only the fuker would go digital i'd be happy!!!!

Aratron
06-06-2007, 05:20 PM
definitly..

routemaster, pattern play, pounding grooves, techno slut etc etc have all produced classic tracks 99% of the time..

im glad he isnt digital the sound quality is shit

Athar
06-06-2007, 09:44 PM
im glad he isnt digital the sound quality is shit

exaclly, i cant imagine when lawrie or guy could releasing digital music.

rhythmtech
06-06-2007, 11:16 PM
firstly the sound quality isnt shit. no offence aratron but thats the kind of statement that someone who doesnt fully understand audio would make.

all d/l websites now offer mastered wav as downloads, the same mastered wav that your vinyl is cut from (analog tape and DAT is very very very rarely used these days due to costs), there really is no major differance bar the slight warmth added in the vinyl process. but thats not an arguement im bothered getting into.

the fact is that in this day and age labels should be offering as many formats as possible to the public. more options = more sales.

and for the record, all of guy's RAW catalog has been digital about 3 years now.

Aratron
07-06-2007, 07:31 AM
firstly the sound quality isnt shit. no offence aratron but thats the kind of statement that someone who doesnt fully understand audio would make.

and for the record, all of guy's RAW catalog has been digital about 3 years now.

well that might explain why a lot of the raw tunes are so shit.

i have read interviews with Immersion b4 where he goes on the record as saying that he thinks the sound quality of mp3 digital is inferior, that's why he doesn't do it.
so i reckon he knows what he is talking about seeing as though he is a sound engineer and everything else.
might explain why his sounds are fresh and everyone else's is processed bollocks

Si the Sigh
07-06-2007, 07:37 AM
I believe Lawrie stated in his interview for BOA that he's not feeling the digital sound. I maybe wrong, but I'm pretty sure thats what he said.

rhythmtech
07-06-2007, 09:51 AM

i have read interviews with Immersion b4 where he goes on the record as saying that he thinks the sound quality of mp3 digital is inferior, that's why he doesn't do it.
so i reckon he knows what he is talking about seeing as though he is a sound engineer and everything else.
might explain why his sounds are fresh and everyone else's is processed bollocks

see you're talking about mp3. not digital. mp3 is just one available format in the digital realm. it compresses audio so there will be a slight loss of quality. but then again, putting audio down to tape compresses it too.. i guess its just in a way thats more pleasing to our ears than mp3 encoding.

anyway, to sum up - you think mp3 is sh*t, not all digital?

07-06-2007, 10:07 AM
im glad he isnt digital ...

me too...

rhythmtech
07-06-2007, 10:21 AM
me too...

why are you glad? (this place needs discussion, not just one word answers!!! :) )

do you not think that he's shooting himself in the foot by staying vinyl only? he's already seen the closure of his pressing plant.. surely he must realise that there are changes afoot?

rhythmtech
07-06-2007, 11:14 AM

that makes absolutly no sense :laughing:

how does the fact that RAW tunes are available as mp3 make them shit? surely as a vinyl collector you are basing your opinion of the label on vinyl you've bought or heard? which means it has nothing to do with the trax being available as digital downloads!!!!

if a track is good then its good. it has nothing to do with format whatsoever :laughing:

christian wagner
07-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Im all up for playing digitally as long as its off laptop, CD's ARE shite. they lack any saturation when played off a cd player, sound really bland, and is a VERY un-reliable medium.

Played off laptop its ok, cos you can compensate for quality a bit more.

Before anyone says it - Yes - there is a difference in sound due to how the digital medium is played back..OK?!

Si the Sigh
07-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Who gives a flying shit anyway, this threads about Lawrie's productions and sound.

rhythmtech
07-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Who gives a flying shit anyway, this threads about Lawrie's productions and sound.

eaxactly.. but someone threw a flipant comment around..

anyway.. lawrie fudging rocks the custard BIG STYLEEE

07-06-2007, 11:51 AM
why are you glad? (this place needs discussion, not just one word answers!!! :) )

do you not think that he's shooting himself in the foot by staying vinyl only? he's already seen the closure of his pressing plant.. surely he must realise that there are changes afoot?

i'm glad because i love vinyl so much...and i think digital tracks don't have "soul".
i have never played from CD's so i can't say anything about quality.

i just think good music should be out on vinyl...it's like eating great meal on paper platter with plastic fork and knife. i would taste worse than if you use ceramic platter and sit on perfect prepare table etc.

rhythmtech
07-06-2007, 11:57 AM
i'm glad because i love vinyl so much...and i think digital tracks don't have "soul".
i have never played from CD's so i can't say anything about quality.

i just think good music should be out on vinyl...it's like eating great meal on paper platter with plastic fork and knife. i would taste worse than if you use ceramic platter and sit on perfect prepare table etc.

thats fair enough.. but then heres an idea for lawrie.. plug a deck into a pc with a pre-amp, record the vinyl as a wav file and then sell it from his site, with wav being a lossless format you'd get a pounding grooves record on digital, with all the warmth of vinyl.. crackles and all :cheese:

Aratron
07-06-2007, 08:57 PM
anyway, to sum up - you think mp3 is sh*t, not all digital?

im not saying mp3 is shit just way inferior to vinyl

digital i really do not know enough to judge wether its inferior to analogue (?)
i mean terrestrial tv digital is inferior than analogue and i reckon sound will be too.

im sure you can still produce a decent imitation of analogue sound which is basically what digital attempts to do anyway.

i have heard ableton for example and that makes some great sounds.

just how the **** should i know? i', a ****wit

Aratron
07-06-2007, 08:59 PM

yes there are changes afoot. its cheaper and simpler to use digital.

quality is not the driving issue anymore.

Aratron
07-06-2007, 09:04 PM
eaxactly.. but someone threw a flipant comment around..

yes it was you

you started the debate. this sounds ****ed up, but **** it.

i reckon im into his music enough for long enough to reckon form what i know of him (releasing tracks like destroy the ipod and mp3 no way) that he doesn't like vinyl.

i heard he was a sound engineer - got a degree innit etc before he got into the scene, so he knows what he is talking about. Him selling his vinyl pressing operatiojn - seems to be a good thing, because he is releasing some good music again.

Aratron
07-06-2007, 09:11 PM
that makes absolutly no sense :laughing:

how does the fact that RAW tunes are available as mp3 make them shit? surely as a vinyl collector you are basing your opinion of the label on vinyl you've bought or heard? which means it has nothing to do with the trax being available as digital downloads!!!!

if a track is good then its good. it has nothing to do with format whatsoever :laughing:

no it has nothing to do with digital downloads - i'm not arguing that point at all. if folk want to buy music that sounds tinny as **** on digital that is their loss. If people want to make money out of the punters, fair game, what i am saying is that Immersion has more integrity as an artist not to sully his product for a quick buck.

i'm not a record collector either, i did buy quite a lot of records a few years ago when i ahd money to burn and netiher the ear or taste to discriminate finely enough about some tunes. i've always known what represented a good tune, Raw 9?34 being good examples of this, also the Raw EP, but some of the tunes are mindless drivel. Nowadays if it is good, i will buy it, if its average i won't bother, so i dont collect anything. SUF/ Routemaster / Powerools / Pounding Grooves still put some good shit out. it's enough for my narrow mind to chose from.

Athar
07-06-2007, 09:59 PM
i think the problem is that i cant convert my mind and change/moving from vinyl to digital.
i know mp3s are so popular now and they are cheep (or free),
records are expensive and produced by old ancient technology etc etc
i think both sides have a strong arguments.
but who cares ?
Im not against mp3 but against the people who used it illegal and see how it destroying the records market around.
Im getting old maybe and its a main problem but i will stay with the vinyl.

theledge
07-06-2007, 11:44 PM
lawrie's music is awesome, he's always been my favourite of the london acid techno producers. met the guy a couple of times too and found he was a nice guy happy to chat about production and the business side of things. safe.

on the other side ive never much liked the raw sound either, but its horses for courses i suppose :)

Si the Sigh
08-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Routemaster 60 reminds me of everything that I feel in love with , with the Acid Techno sound.

Proper old skool sounding release. Could have been released in 97.

Great stuff!

MORE PLEASE!

278d7e64a374de26f==