PDA

View Full Version : Channel strips

judas_beast
11-06-2007, 11:57 PM
Right, at present, I make all of my music using soft synths and soft samples, WAVES and various other plug ins, and a load of 909 samples. Basically. I've had a few synths over the years, done the whole write the track in MIDI and record straight off the desk thing blah blah, and this, for me is the best way of working. However, much as I try I still feel I lack that certain analouge warmth. I'm thinking of taking some of the process ''outside the computer''. Selling my shitty Behringer 2004A desk and some old Alesis comps. My idea is to run mulitple outs from a MOTU card, into a Mackie 1604VLZ. I'd also really like to add some sort of channel strip, mainly to use on the overal mix down. Budget wise, I'm looking at around £500, more if I rob some grannies/sell more crack.

I've looked at the Joemeek TwinQ, some TL's etc. Most of it seems to be aimed at guitarists, or people using Mic's, ie not me. I've already got a dbx 166xl so the compressor section needs to be kinda ''different'' to that. I'd like something with valves in it too, for a bit of tasty analouge gain.

Any ideas?

tonyc2002
12-06-2007, 12:00 AM
i may have got the wrong end of the stick here, but what about the liquid mix http://www.focusrite.com/product/liquid_mix/

judas_beast
12-06-2007, 12:05 AM
i may have got the wrong end of the stick here, but what about the liquid mix http://www.focusrite.com/product/liquid_mix/

Yeah, I must admit, I do like the look of it. But I want something a bit more analouge - valves baby, valves! Having said that, I might try and have a play with one and see what i think.

Cheers.

Ritzi Lee
12-06-2007, 05:56 AM
Check out Focusrite or SSL for channelstrips.
It's better to do it wright from the start.

RDR
12-06-2007, 07:11 AM
SSL plugs are the don, whichever way you slice the cake.

Any of the joe meek plugs as well.

Awesome.

christian wagner
12-06-2007, 12:17 PM
TL audio do some brilliant kit, my friend has one and it sounds fantastic, you can pick em up pretty cheap too second hand - Try the sound On Sound sellers forum

www.sospubs.co.uk

some good buys there :)

judas_beast
12-06-2007, 09:07 PM
SSL plugs are the don, whichever way you slice the cake.

Any of the joe meek plugs as well.

Awesome.

Guess who didn't read the thread?! ;)

RDR
12-06-2007, 10:56 PM
I did read the thread.

And i stand by what i said.

the SSL plugs are amazing.

judas_beast
12-06-2007, 11:39 PM
I did read the thread.

And i stand by what i said.

the SSL plugs are amazing.

I don't doubt that my good man, the point is I didn't ask for information on plug-ins.

I really like Squirrels. Just thought I'd toss that in there, while we're on a ''say what you like'' tip.

loopdon
12-06-2007, 11:50 PM
I understand the topic. But i am also very sure you can go a hell of a lot of the way to ''analoguish sound'' and still not be using a single piece of analogue equipment. But just get yourself some nice kit and see if that was what you were looking for, i would like to myself some day. ''Warm'' is subjective and more often than not just boosted lows and dimmed down high-end :) I guess for cheap it will suffice to just record stuff to vhs/tape, mebbe at hot levels, too. And then bnack to the puter. I'd like to try that myself. But i'd prolly just end up noticing that the problems with my tracks have little to do with the difference between digital and analogue ;)

audioinjection
13-06-2007, 12:16 AM
www.uaudio.com

:)

Ritzi Lee
13-06-2007, 08:26 AM
I agree partly on loopdons comments.
But take this in account. To reach that real analog feel you have to have some kind of outboard elements in your setup. Connect Ableton live through a multichannel audio/midi interface through an external aanalog mixing console. And get a rack full of filters, compressors, limiters/expanders, EQ's and all that shit.

RDR
13-06-2007, 10:02 AM
I don't doubt that my good man, the point is I didn't ask for information on plug-ins.

I really like Squirrels. Just thought I'd toss that in there, while we're on a ''say what you like'' tip.

DO you?

Sicko. :laughing:

O.K. O.K.

Id go with the TL Audio stuff all the way, drawmer, and manley.

Now where is my overdraft?

judas_beast
13-06-2007, 01:49 PM
I agree partly on loopdons comments.
But take this in account. To reach that real analog feel you have to have some kind of outboard elements in your setup. Connect Ableton live through a multichannel audio/midi interface through an external aanalog mixing console. And get a rack full of filters, compressors, limiters/expanders, EQ's and all that shit.

Well thats the plan. I use Cubase not Ableton btw. A couple of years ago when I started making music I used various synths, a desk, lexicon, compressors etc. Now the idea is to run multiple out from Cubase into a Mackie for EQ, use my dbx for mild compression, and a nice channel strip for that little extra.

@loopdon: yeah I do agree, I use some tape saturation plugins, and try my best to get the sound I want. Most people, yourself included a couple of times, have said my tracks have a good sound, I just want that little extra that I, personally think, cant ever truely be re-created in the digital realm. I like your idea of recording to an outside analouge source and then re-recording. Occasionally, I record something to a CD, then use and old CD player I have as it has a really nice EQ on it, that I've never been able to re-create. I like trying things that wouldn't necessarily be thought of as ''good practice''.

@audioinjection: yeah Ive considered Uaudio, we'll see! ;)

@dodgyedgy: yeah they are so small and furry, mmmmm. Yeah a few bits on Manley gear would be nice - never gonna ****ing happen though!

278d7e64a374de26f==