PDA

View Full Version : Archiving tracks?

audioinjection
17-11-2003, 06:00 PM
I wondered how everyone archives all their tracks, I just started doing this, but which is the best way to do it?

Anyone understand what I mean?

DJZeMig_L
17-11-2003, 10:02 PM
If possible do the following ... Keep a DAT with a 48KHz version (the pre-mastered and the original non-mastered version).

A cd with the all project, the final track, and the premastered version (in case u do thid yerself, if u do also keep the master section master present... I do this cause I use Wavelab)...

Keep another CD with just the audio...

make sure u use good quality CD-R, record at a low speed as to avoid rec. mistakes!!

Keep'em on a good storage space... dry, average temprature, clean!

Z

audioinjection
18-11-2003, 04:19 PM
ok, I'll try that (but I dont have a DAT), but everything else sounds good.

Thanks mate! ;)

interferron
23-11-2003, 05:57 PM
ok, I'll try that (but I dont have a DAT), but everything else sounds good.

Thanks mate! ;)

also, do yourself a favor and write down session notes.. i do it in a plain text file stored with all the other project files. why? coz i'm just trying to assemble a couple of years old track back together and i've no idea where all the sounds came from, so i'm guessing and listening thru all my synths.. :(

you might switch your recording/sequencing soft one day, or perhaps a new version won't be backwards compatible. that's why i don't write these notes to the sequencer (i use logic). plain text file is nice, will open with pc's, macs etc..

nowadays i keep record of:

- which synths/other hardware were used, midi channels, bank/prog numbers
- which soft synths were used, bank/prog
- samples, where did they came from
- tempo of track
- any other shit that might be useful in the future

audioinjection
24-11-2003, 03:40 PM
yeah, i thats a good idea too haha, thnx guys! I'll do that. ;)

DJZeMig_L
30-11-2003, 07:47 AM
On the subject MAKE ABSOLUTLY SURE U MAKE NOTES OF EVERYTHING!!

I know this has been said already but maybe one thing that u tend 2 overlook is take notes of everything u release and for whom. I have just spent 2 days dusting out old DATs and it's fuc*ing annoying not reeally knowing if certain tracks have already been released or not. This might seem ridiculous but after a while things tend 2 get a little messy, sometimes u change the name of tracks b4 they r released, u move house and leave behind all the contracts files, r u tend 2 give away every copy u have of your releases (after all U r tired of hearing it, and in the hands of other people it can do more good than most of times in yours)...

So make notes if u changed the name of a track, always make sure u mark the released tracks and the unreleased... This seems quite obvious but if u draw a nice system from the start and u stick 2 it U can't go wrong.. I know I have... It is quite ridiculous b b asking yer label manager the listing of tracks u have released with him :doh:

Z

MARKEG
30-11-2003, 08:24 AM
wise words from DA man!!! ..

DJZeMig_L
30-11-2003, 09:31 AM
I am da little monkey ;) eheheh

Z

DJZeMig_L
30-11-2003, 11:28 AM
Another thing :

In the old days it was tolled that 2 prevent print-thru as much as possible u should store all "magnetic" tapes totally wind ... (as oposed 2 totally rewond like most people do)... so if u got DATs or ADATs remember 2 wind them to the end b4 storing them away!

Z

audioinjection
02-12-2003, 04:47 PM
yeah, I heard that too, you also have to store them in cooler temperatures and every few years you have to run the tapes so the magnetic tape doesnt get stuck together and get print thru

timo
06-12-2003, 04:29 PM
When I used hardware quite a while ago, it was pretty difficult to backup tracks as my equipment and my setup changed from time to time. I stored the main lines (e.g. single mixer tracks) and kept records of the song's tempo and the settings, but it way wasn't "total recall". I don't think that there's a good possibility to "backup" if you are mostly using hardware, except with an enormous effort which is often bigger than the time you needed to create your track.

278d7e64a374de26f==