PDA

View Full Version : New Luke Slater on Novamute

MARKEG
18-11-2003, 01:47 AM
Wow... really punky.. almost depeche mode vs punk vs techno. Luke Slater is a legend. Maybe not as far as I wish he would go with his music, but I love the difference.

Sunil
18-11-2003, 01:59 AM
Wow... really punky.. almost depeche mode vs punk vs techno. Luke Slater is a legend. Maybe not as far as I wish he would go with his music, but I love the difference.

I'm glad he's keeping his hand in anyway, looking forward to hearing this one. Slater can make a 'tune' with his eyes shut, really hope he gets back to doing techno on a regular basis.

jock
18-11-2003, 10:18 AM
loved some of his productions, always summit good about them. His 'Fear and Loathing' mix cd is pretty class as well!!

Seen him dj a few times, always good like. Although managed to catch his 'live' thing once, probably one of the worst things i have seen in a club next to Mauro Picotto!!! ;)

Si the Sigh
18-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Yea, i'm liking this! :clap:

Esox Lucius
18-11-2003, 10:32 AM
not heard it yet, I like slater though quality producer...love all his PAS stuff.

T
18-11-2003, 10:51 AM
not heard it yet, I like slater though quality producer...love all his PAS stuff.

yes planetary assault systems stuff is top quality. I heard he has ceased to produce as PAS though?? hope not!
will have to check this new one at some point. Slater has produced great stuff under many guises for years, from ambient/experimental to harder techno...:clap:

Tony
18-11-2003, 11:45 AM
well, youre all being really positive, and against my usual form i must be a wee bit negative.
slater has stopped his techno productions and killed off the name planetary assault systems. i went to see him on the tour for his last album. now, i was enjoying the slightly more electro-y angle he was taking, but it wasnt pleasant at all. he's gone from filling super clubs, been pushed by novamute to go a bit further, and has ended up on the bottom rung of gig land. and you could tell the band was bitter, they where ripping into the crowd (of about 40 people) and really taking the piss. quite sad really.
dont get me wrong, if he ditched this stab for pop-dom and ressurected PAS i'd be really happy. but this move into this field of mini pop star has all but ignored his massive potential and the tree he was already at the top of. my personal suspision is novamute pushing him as far as THEY would like to see him go.
havent heard this recent one though, not rushing out to purchase either. sorry :roll:

Sunil
18-11-2003, 01:35 PM
well, youre all being really positive, and against my usual form i must be a wee bit negative.
slater has stopped his techno productions and killed off the name planetary assault systems. i went to see him on the tour for his last album. now, i was enjoying the slightly more electro-y angle he was taking, but it wasnt pleasant at all. he's gone from filling super clubs, been pushed by novamute to go a bit further, and has ended up on the bottom rung of gig land. and you could tell the band was bitter, they where ripping into the crowd (of about 40 people) and really taking the piss. quite sad really.
dont get me wrong, if he ditched this stab for pop-dom and ressurected PAS i'd be really happy. but this move into this field of mini pop star has all but ignored his massive potential and the tree he was already at the top of. my personal suspision is novamute pushing him as far as THEY would like to see him go.
havent heard this recent one though, not rushing out to purchase either. sorry :roll:

Actually, from what I know little of him going a different route musically has to do with Novamute. I've interviewed him and spoke about this before and the buzz was that he was bored with making techno (At the time anyway) and wanted to try out some new things, obviously Novamute were happy to back this and to zone in on his image a bit more than before. Unfortunately for him though he has made little headway with his new projects imo and as you rightly pointed out Tony he has fallen down the ladder considerably when it comes to gigs.

PAS officially ceased after the last album, although I have heard mutterings that himself and Hulal are working on new PAS material so who knows? Could be rubbish but i really hope it isn't!

Tony
19-11-2003, 12:13 PM
PAS rules, or should i say 'has its monumental moments'. sorry if i sounded negative in the last post.

Francisco Scaramanga
19-11-2003, 03:26 PM
I'd really love to hear more of his proper techno coming out, but its fine with me if he moves on, as long its not like that last album, which I really didn't like at all.

I didn't see him do the live thing after this most recent album, but I did see him do a live set just after he released Wireless, and that was something to behold. Don't know if anyone else caught it, but it was truly inspired I thought. It was at the Atomic Jam, and it made my night for the fact that he was playing something other than standard club thumpers, hearing all that phat electro style breaks stuff over the main rig at the Que was totally immense, and the crowd went absolutely ape for it. If he ever does anything like this again, I'll be there!

And even if he never releases another tune, he already has 4 in my top twenty of all time - In From the Night, Body Freefall (and the needle damage remix), and his remixes of Forklift and Bad Boy - they all rock the house every time!

Col
19-11-2003, 11:21 PM
i like "all exhale" proper party record. its the only luke slater record i have ever bought.

278d7e64a374de26f==