PDA

View Full Version : unclipping / distortion removal

Jay Pace
27-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Gah. Recording from the last party we did is ruined because the stupid FS2 input box got knocked from line input to phone, and the signal is trashed.

Sounds ok in places, but it clips a lot and sounds scratchy

Anyone know of any half decent and free disotrion removal tools?

doesn't need to be studio grade, its just to restore some live sets to enjoyable listenable quality

Sure there was a thread a while back where some kid had designed an algorithm to sort it all out, but couldn't find a plugin to do it.

Cheers peeps

There's a tear out paul langley live set + live sets from seb marx and jimige from KSS if anyone can help

j

Miromiric
27-06-2007, 07:25 PM
i doubt you can really undo the damage done with digital distorsion, but if anything can help you, then that's an expander.

eyeswithoutaface
27-06-2007, 08:00 PM
yeah your pretty much stuck with what you've got mate unfortunately, that's one of the only thing's even the wonders of technology struggle to get rid of, cant see an expander doing much either

shame really

loopdon
27-06-2007, 08:44 PM
pencil tool. patience. redraw waveform.

RDR
27-06-2007, 09:07 PM
pencil tool. patience. redraw waveform.

hahahahahaha!

you mean german!

he'll be there for YEARS or at least unti RSI kicks in.. :laughing:

Miromiric
28-06-2007, 09:52 AM
yeah your pretty much stuck with what you've got mate unfortunately, that's one of the only thing's even the wonders of technology struggle to get rid of, cant see an expander doing much either

shame really

i think there are some expanders that calculate how the wave would look like if it was not cut of in 0db. don't know for sure, never used it, i just spotted some article about it somewhere some time ago.

danielmarshall
28-07-2007, 09:11 AM
i think there are some expanders that calculate how the wave would look like if it was not cut of in 0db. don't know for sure, never used it, i just spotted some article about it somewhere some time ago.

Yep, it's actually quite easy DSP to implement. You just calculate the tangent to the waveform whenever it hits a threshold (usually 0db) and where it meets the next point on the curve, and extrapolate a parabola (or a higher order polynomial if you take some points on the waveform) using least squares approximation and tada.... The result is allot better than a plain crushed square wave, but you'll need to add a limiter at the end to keep the transients under control.

Jay Pace
28-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Cool - so know of any VSTs i could use for this?

ta

danielmarshall
31-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Sorry I have no clue. I just remember reading a maths paper on it.

acidsaturation
05-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Doesn't Soundforge have a function that does it? Sure I've seen it in a menu, but dunno if it actually does any good...

danielmarshall
10-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Doesn't Soundforge have a function that does it? Sure I've seen it in a menu, but dunno if it actually does any good...

The repair feature just copies data from the other channel to replace the damaged stuff.

278d7e64a374de26f==