PDA

View Full Version : vestax or technic????

StoQ
01-07-2007, 01:12 PM
wonder what would you choose to play on gig. me 1210 shit roox

RDR
01-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Technics 1200, not 1210's, lighter platter - beter for scratching.
CDJ1000mk3 for CD playback

Louis Theroux
02-07-2007, 05:39 PM
I have had a set of 1200's, two sets of 1210 mk2s & now have the Vestax PDX2000's - the Technics are a lot tougher but the Vestax are a certainly a bit different - seem easier to use & more functions, +50% etc - definate value for money!

I am sticking with the Vestax for now until I can afford the mk5's.

BRADLEE
02-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Personally I prefer technics myself because I like the way the pitch feels. Vestax have more a cd player style feel to their pitch. Although they are excellent turntables too. Just depends on what you like most, and what suits your needs best.

Louis Theroux
03-07-2007, 08:33 AM
I know what you mean when you say that abot the pitch - just takes a bit of getting used to.

StoQ
03-07-2007, 02:09 PM
your right about this pitch, technics are more sensitive imo. i also luv technic appearance. It looks wery nice with djm600 :D

Louis Theroux
03-07-2007, 06:13 PM
your right about this pitch, technics are more sensitive imo. i also luv technic appearance. It looks wery nice with djm600 :D

have you actually used & seen the Vestax - they are a lot more sensitive than technics & look ten times better

StoQ
04-07-2007, 09:03 AM
yeah played vestax . maybe theyre more precise but i mean you have to put more force on it. i like technics appearance more ;] cheers

Jay Pace
04-07-2007, 11:09 AM
I've got pdx-d3s

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/img/produits/thumb2/2/8/28650.jpg

They're great, lovely decks, superior tone arm, good pitch control and the idea of a joystick jogwheel is excellent.

Problem being - not that many places have them. I learned on technics so no bother to me when playing out elsewhere, but its hassles when you get used to one system switching to another.

Would probably get mk5 if I bought decks now, its just easier having the industry standard. Happy with my DJM 600 for the same reason.

basslinejunkie
04-07-2007, 03:54 PM
to be honest,im really stuggling with my technics,regarding consistensy.some times im excellent,sometimes i have to do plenty of wrestling.really frustrating.with my old crappy geminis i was spot on,but the technics pitch control is very stiff so its hard to adjust,i think this is the problem.maybe technics arent for me? are vestax diffrent in this respect??

Jay Pace
04-07-2007, 04:02 PM
The pitch isn't as stiff with vestax, but to be honest it just comes down to getting used to the fader.

I always found technics easy enough to mix on, just hated the click in the middle and found +8-8 a bit limiting. The new models don't have this and are pretty much perfect.

basslinejunkie
04-07-2007, 04:35 PM
yup click in the middle is a shitter.i dunno maybe its just me.

RDR
04-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Love technics for mixing

Vestax for scratching.

but only provided they are setup properly, and its rare that decks are set up right.

ReakZ
05-07-2007, 12:14 AM
turntables - technics mixer - vestax

Aratron
07-07-2007, 06:42 PM
to be honest,im really stuggling with my technics,regarding consistensy.some times im excellent,sometimes i have to do plenty of wrestling.really frustrating.with my old crappy geminis i was spot on,but the technics pitch control is very stiff so its hard to adjust,i think this is the problem.maybe technics arent for me? are vestax diffrent in this respect??

due that is the reason i sold my techn ics, the torque motor isn't strong enough, it's too much like hard work.
trust me i have used stanton st-150's and vestax pdx 2000 and they are far superior.
im looking for some new decks at the moment, and i may be thinking of buying some new Kams ( don't laugh !! ), their top of the range turntable - is the business, really strong torque and everything else aswell. and for a good price.

http://www.kam.co.uk/products/turntables/prod6.htm

i can pick these up for 480 for the pair including postage, includes carts and styli aswell.
got a stainless steel chassis, i think they look great. much better than any of the decks out on the market.

Aratron
07-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Love technics for mixing

Vestax for scratching.

but only provided they are setup properly, and its rare that decks are set up right.

don't i know it :;

Aratron
07-07-2007, 06:57 PM
http://www.vestax.com/v/products/players/pdx2300pro.html

theses are decks i would want ideally.
black 2300 pdx mk2 pros

stuff dreams are madeof

dan the acid man
07-07-2007, 11:22 PM
don't get the KAM's aratron they're shit, the specs might look good, but they're cheap for a reason, they're in the same standard as the numarks, they use alot of the same components apparently, which is why they look similar, and they're supposed to be shit, get technics or vestax

Aratron
07-07-2007, 11:49 PM
don't get the KAM's aratron they're shit, the specs might look good, but they're cheap for a reason, they're in the same standard as the numarks, they use alot of the same components apparently, which is why they look similar, and they're supposed to be shit, get technics or vestax

would have to be vestax, i ve got a bid on ebay for a pair of vestax at the minute

DJCraig Ryan
08-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah i also agree with the Techs, personally think they are well over-rated. I can mix on them but i still prefer my old numarks and they mix like a dream. So my Numarks are being kept and the Techs are being sold to fund for some cdj's.

Each to their own i suppose

Ms.Rhythm
09-07-2007, 02:19 PM
yup technics are well over rated the highest you can get pitch wise is 12+/- innit and thats only if u get the special modified ones normaly there only 8...deff prefur the vestax esp if you like your techno cause not all tunes can be played at 8 +/-

RDR
09-07-2007, 05:51 PM
yup technics are well over rated the highest you can get pitch wise is 12+/- innit and thats only if u get the special modified ones normaly there only 8...deff prefur the vestax esp if you like your techno cause not all tunes can be played at 8 +/-

NOT all tunes should be played at +12 either.

loopdon
09-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Exactly my thoughts.

eyeswithoutaface
09-07-2007, 07:43 PM
some strange views here

when it boils down to it, Technics have a monopoly on the decks market for one reason, because they are the best. They have barely changed in god knows how many years, and thats because they are quite simply, overall, the best deck on the market.

without sounding condescending, ive played some of the biggest clubs in the UK and only once have i had to use anything other than technics, they were Vestax and whilst being good enough, in terms of build, feel, performance etc they just didnt even come close. Vestax are however great decks, but the amount of people i know with dodgy or troublesome Vestax far outweighs that of Technics owners.

and i certainly would NEVER even contemplate switching on a KAM deck, mate really do not waste your money on anything by KAM

Aratron
09-07-2007, 07:48 PM
and i certainly would NEVER even contemplate switching on a KAM deck, mate really do not waste your money on anything by KAM

yes i am hearing that. however what if these new Kam decks are really good, i mean i havent tried them, have you?

eyeswithoutaface
09-07-2007, 08:37 PM
as someone who really knows their shit, i hold nothing but complete trust in the following statement :

ALL Kam products are complete shit and its for that reason they are, quite literaly, the bottom of the barrell of the audio equipment world

:)

seriously, KAM are absolutely, categorically woeful

Aratron
09-07-2007, 10:18 PM
as someone who really knows their shit, i hold nothing but complete trust in the following statement :

ALL Kam products are complete shit and its for that reason they are, quite literaly, the bottom of the barrell of the audio equipment world

:)

seriously, KAM are absolutely, categorically woeful

i bet you havent even bothered to look at the link to the decks i put up?

Ms.Rhythm
10-07-2007, 12:42 AM
NOT all tunes should be played at +12 either.

yeah i know i was only saying

Numeric
10-07-2007, 09:27 AM
i've got a pair of Vestax PDX 2000's and they're the nuts...

but as everyone has already stated they handle totaly different to Technics, which is grim if you're not used to switching between both and then you need to play out, as most clubs are gonna have Technics and you may struggle...

would recommend the 2000's to anyone though, quality deck...

eyeswithoutaface
10-07-2007, 09:31 AM
i bet you havent even bothered to look at the link to the decks i put up?

of course i did, mr presumptious

they look shit

there is genuinely no reason when buying decks to just not buy either Technics or Vestax, with personal preference being Technics.

RDR
10-07-2007, 09:33 AM
yeah i know i was only saying

;)

Sorry, you got the rough end of my annoyance at people who play at stupid speeds...

RDR
10-07-2007, 09:35 AM
some strange views here

when it boils down to it, Technics have a monopoly on the decks market for one reason, because they are the best. They have barely changed in god knows how many years, and thats because they are quite simply, overall, the best deck on the market.

without sounding condescending, ive played some of the biggest clubs in the UK and only once have i had to use anything other than technics, they were Vestax and whilst being good enough, in terms of build, feel, performance etc they just didnt even come close. Vestax are however great decks, but the amount of people i know with dodgy or troublesome Vestax far outweighs that of Technics owners.

you missed the point about technics decks.

Try and get a pair of vestax serviced, or even a centre that even KNOWS how to repair them, or will look at them without charging you first.

Parts are available for technics and fairly cheapply to, and they're easy to fit yourself.

thats why technics get my vote.

RDR
10-07-2007, 09:39 AM
due that is the reason i sold my techn ics, the torque motor isn't strong enough, it's too much like hard work.
trust me i have used stanton st-150's and vestax pdx 2000 and they are far superior.
im looking for some new decks at the moment, and i may be thinking of buying some new Kams ( don't laugh !! ), their top of the range turntable - is the business, really strong torque and everything else aswell. and for a good price.

http://www.kam.co.uk/products/turntables/prod6.htm

i can pick these up for 480 for the pair including postage, includes carts and styli aswell.
got a stainless steel chassis, i think they look great. much better than any of the decks out on the market.

It looks good for the money like IDJ say, but id really like a go before i made my mind up.

Jay Pace
10-07-2007, 10:35 AM
without sounding condescending, ive played some of the biggest clubs in the UK and only once have i had to use anything other than technics, they were Vestax and whilst being good enough, in terms of build, feel, performance etc they just didnt even come close. Vestax are however great decks, but the amount of people i know with dodgy or troublesome Vestax far outweighs that of Technics owners

I've played at clubs all over the country, and frequently on knackered 1210's with sloppy pitch faders. Part of the problem with their ubiquity is the fact that people are under the illusion that they are indestructible, and therefore never need servicing or the parts replacing.

You can muddle your way round a shoddy technics though, even with a worn pitch fader you can adapt quitckly. Suppose thats why people never bother to service them.

I love my vestax, best deck I've ever played on. The people who ran the rig at my uni were audiophile geeks and its the only thing they would use as part of their ludicrously over-spec'd setup. Also meant getting used to cloud mixers - great for sound, rubbish for performance.

Vestax are arguably better decks from an audio perspective. The later vestax models (pdx d3x, pdx2000) were much better than the original 1210 models. However they just don't have the rugged workhorse feel of technics.

I'd avoid KAM's mate. They're a company built on making cheap copies using low grade components that they can sell as entry level products. Kinda like the behringer of the turntable world. I'd be suspicious of even their premium line of products because of this - their business is cheap and mass market, not quality.

You owe yourself better! Try the vestax, think you might find what you are looking for there if you are tired of technics.

RDR
10-07-2007, 11:08 AM
I've played at clubs all over the country, and frequently on knackered 1210's with sloppy pitch faders. Part of the problem with their ubiquity is the fact that people are under the illusion that they are indestructible, and therefore never need servicing or the parts replacing.

You can muddle your way round a shoddy technics though, even with a worn pitch fader you can adapt quitckly. Suppose thats why people never bother to service them.

I love my vestax, best deck I've ever played on. The people who ran the rig at my uni were audiophile geeks and its the only thing they would use as part of their ludicrously over-spec'd setup. Also meant getting used to cloud mixers - great for sound, rubbish for performance.

Vestax are arguably better decks from an audio perspective. The later vestax models (pdx d3x, pdx2000) were much better than the original 1210 models. However they just don't have the rugged workhorse feel of technics.

I'd avoid KAM's mate. They're a company built on making cheap copies using low grade components that they can sell as entry level products. Kinda like the behringer of the turntable world. I'd be suspicious of even their premium line of products because of this - their business is cheap and mass market, not quality.

You owe yourself better! Try the vestax, think you might find what you are looking for there if you are tired of technics.

One thing i cannot abide with the vestax is that blody pitch fader, if you blow on the damn thing it moves, the slightest touch and it flies away.

I know this is a good ting too, but on balance i like a pitch fader with some pressure behind it. This is the reason: When attempting to alter something, a dia or a fader our fingers get tense to ensure maximum muscle control - therefore something that needs a bit of pressure to alter feels like it has more control rather than something sloppy which (athough possibly more adjustable) feels harder manipulate...

my 2p

Jay Pace
10-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Know exactly what you mean.

Mine are ok though, decent bit of resistance and a digital readout, so you know exactly what you've done. That and you can adjust the sensitivity from +/-3 to +/-12.

Plus I love the joystick. Much nicer to give a track a bump with, makes handling the platter seem crude by comparison.

RDR
10-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Well at the end of the day - if the mix is wicked, then its wicked!

Aratron
10-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Know exactly what you mean.

Mine are ok though, decent bit of resistance and a digital readout, so you know exactly what you've done. That and you can adjust the sensitivity from +/-3 to +/-12.

Plus I love the joystick. Much nicer to give a track a bump with, makes handling the platter seem crude by comparison.

your decks look awesome. cant get my head around what they do though.
you play vinyl on them?

Aratron
10-07-2007, 04:20 PM

well i have a few bids on at the moment for some PDX 2000 and some Stanton str8 150s.
My two closest friends have the stanton 150 and vestax and i love using either of them over technics.
i quite excited really. on ebay the technics even secondhand seem ludcrously over-priced whilst the vestax and stanton, even those in near mint condiiton go for a steal.

Jay Pace
10-07-2007, 04:24 PM
your decks look awesome. cant get my head around what they do though.
you play vinyl on them?

Play vinyl and use final scratch with them.
Highly recommended.

RDR
10-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Play vinyl and use final scratch with them.
Highly recommended.

Final scratch you say! Curse me for using technics all these years.

is that one of them new fangled devicimicums.

You young uns' i dunno!

Jay Pace
10-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Its a magic box of interminglin flumes and twerzles what vinylizes laptop muzac for special needs.

Get with the programme grandad.
I bit-stream audio wrongs through a usb cochlear jack in my robo-ears

RDR
10-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Its a magic box of interminglin flumes and twerzles what vinylizes laptop muzac for special needs.

Get with the programme grandad.
I bit-stream audio wrongs through a usb cochlear jack in my robo-ears

Muzak you say? sounds like a dangerous perversion of perry como. now that lad knows how to rock.

Aratron
10-07-2007, 08:30 PM
of course i did, mr presumptious

they look shit

there is genuinely no reason when buying decks to just not buy either Technics or Vestax, with personal preference being Technics.

wot about stanton 150's ? your not telling me their shit?

Siege
10-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Technics for me....solid as a rock. cant beat em

Siege
10-07-2007, 11:43 PM
and, as said....its very rare ul find vestax turntables set up in clubs.
I too have played all over the UK and have never once come across vestax.
Technics are industry standard,so u may as well get used to them if ur after playing out.

Jay Pace
10-07-2007, 11:46 PM
To be honest, most clubs will put out what they are asked to.
If people ask for vestax and its within reason they get them.
Most people ask for technics. So they get put out.

I don't think they're better necessarily, but you're right - there's a lot to be said for being comfortable with the industry standard.

Aratron
15-07-2007, 08:54 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150140279732&rd=1&rd=1:cheese:

great stuff !! just bought the decks i wanted Vestax PDX for only £215 from ebay.
decks are imo near mint condiiton comes with the black vestax dustcovers aswell, which new cost £50 a pair

back on the road.

basslinejunkie
16-07-2007, 12:39 PM
so are pdx2000 vestaxs best deck??? let me know how you find them aratron

Aratron
16-07-2007, 03:45 PM

im sure they arent the best deck

however i used a friends pdx2000 for a few months and i like the torque etc

and i personally preferred them over my old technic mark 3s and the stanton 150s

Aratron
16-07-2007, 03:47 PM
and, as said....its very rare ul find vestax turntables set up in clubs.
I too have played all over the UK and have never once come across vestax.
Technics are industry standard,so u may as well get used to them if ur after playing out.

i ve had a pair of technics for 3 years and know my way round them

when i've played out i've used technics and its like riding a bike , you never forget how to use them.

however when im mixing at home i find technics a bit lazy imo

Aratron
21-07-2007, 08:42 PM

got my decks today dude

im over the moon

these are the dogs bollox mate

RDR
23-07-2007, 01:49 PM
got my decks today dude

im over the moon

these are the dogs bollox mate

Calvin,

Could you please do a full review on them for this section of the forum? Your personal experience. One where you include the facts and perhaps a pro's con's?

Ta!

Aratron
23-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Calvin,

Could you please do a full review on them for this section of the forum? Your personal experience. One where you include the facts and perhaps a pro's con's?

Ta!

ok no worries dude

shall i make it a seperate post or part of this thread?

RDR
23-07-2007, 04:28 PM
ok no worries dude

shall i make it a seperate post or part of this thread?

will do!

Siege
23-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Thought u were asking me for a split second there..haha , my name is Calvin.

Siege
23-07-2007, 11:54 PM
posted twice doh!!

JohnBlack
28-07-2007, 02:24 PM
I use technics 1210`s mk 2 and a DJM500, thats what i`ve learnt on and thats what i`m happy with, like everyone said its club standard stuff pretty much, so if your in it too play out then your better off going straight for them!

Thats my opinion anyway ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==