PDA

View Full Version : [Techno] Do Over - Feedback please

antonbanks
02-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Please give this a listen and let me know what you think.

Do Over (7:29, 6.0Mb) (www.antonbanks.com/audio/test_tracks/do_over_lowqual.mp3)

-anton

mr.big.g
02-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Just gave it a quick listen, i like the programming of it, the tune does work, mix is good, noticed a few things you should maybe look at,

1. reverb dampening - try modyfiyng the tails of all your reverbs (dampening) so that the bass for example does not sound so 'airy', simply removing the high-end reverb frequencies from your bass sound would help clear up some room in the mix for the other elements and other reverb tails, it just seemed a little' muddy' at times.

2. subtractive E.Q.uing - try finding and removing some of the problematic frequencies from your sounds, if a sound is lacking some defenition in the mid-high range, rather than boosting the E.Q. on that sound, try removing some from tat area from other sounds, it will help give everything a lot more defenition

3. Compression, Master bus compression, - you obviously used some (?) but the drums especially felt like they lacked the weight and energy that the should have(?!), i know it wasnt a hard techno tune that was totally dominated by the kick, but the kick felt a little light and didnt cut through the mix as much as I wanted it to, although its down to taste, i think a little carefull limiting/maximizing/compression on your master out could help! you could also look at some bass plug ins such as maxx bass and Waves R Bass, which u could use to add a layer of bass to your kicks and bass to give them a little (or a lot!) more weight and dominance in the bottom-end, used subtley with some carefull E.Q.uing can really work well.

i did like the tune though!
Good work
Good Luck!
hope any of this can help!!

BRADLEE
02-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Can't give a load of mixdown tips at the moment cause I'm just in the headphones. But the track itself is really nice. Seems could have a touch more low end to the kicks maybe (could use some compression I recon), then it seems some of the synths overpower other bits in the mix at times...

Really man I only hear some mixdown issues. All should be very simple to correct...the track itself is really nice. Just takes me a on a journey back thru time. Reminds me of the early electronic music I heard in my childhood. Thanks for sharing and taking me on a little vacation thru time.

antonbanks
04-07-2007, 05:01 AM
HERE'S A NEW VERSION (http://www.antonbanks.com/audio/test_tracks/do_over_lowqual.mp3)

Getting kicks and drums to sound right has always given me trouble. I added a little more bass to the kick.

I also thinned the reverb on the bass a little bit. The overall track sounds a little less muddy to me. I'm still building up confidence in my ears so please let me know if it's really better.

Compression has been the bane of my productions. I lowered a few levels and a cutoff so I think this version sounds a little cleaner.

Thanks for the feedback!

MARK ANXIOUS
12-07-2007, 06:12 PM
newer version is definitely better. i really REAALY like the feel of this track. it's not an a-side but i am a huge fan of old school chicago style bassline hehehe. i would perhaps back off in places on the synthy pads, take them more up and down, just to give it more movement. they tend to stay on the same level for too long and that makes them a little boring. great potential though for a good solid album track or b side.

antonbanks
03-06-2008, 03:53 AM
Sorry for the ridiculously late response but thanks much for the feedback!

278d7e64a374de26f==