PDA

View Full Version : Groove/Quantization/Swing etc

massplanck
02-07-2007, 11:56 PM
I come from a bit of background of hardware drum machines where i had lots more controll over groove & swing (templates etc) for all my individual tracks. This obviously mades things sound ace and snap together.

Its the one thing that really pisses me off about Abelton (which am starting to make tracks in) is the fact it only has one crappy master 'groove' setting/mode for my drums . Either on or off. Am i missing something here? > I'm seriously considering dumping if i cant find a smarter way of getting midi drums tracks to sit with each other a bit better. Humanizing the patterns and getting a groove isnt the problem, its just id like to be able to quantize to diff swing & velocity templates if possible.

I assume im gonna have to ditch Abelton for Cubase to achieve this. ;)

dirty_bass
03-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Humanise it yourself you lazy git.
Although I`m sure ableton will add some more kind of groove settings at some point.

massplanck
03-07-2007, 04:12 AM
lol. i do. I just think ableton is lacking in this department for certain situations.

RDR
03-07-2007, 07:26 AM
ITs a huge issue for me with ableton, but then again i use it for playing live rather than compositions.

IMO anyone who uses it to make finished tracks is pee'ing against the wind. Esp since i got pro-tools.

MPC, Logic, Cubase, DP and general swing settings anyone? hehehe!

stjohn
03-07-2007, 04:18 PM
wheres your Yamaha yoke these days steve? that was a beast.

while on the the subject of gear location.... ill hopefully be picking up a small studio mixer this summer, so ill have to grab that Roland reverb off ye, or else send someone around to poo on your doorstep

massplanck
03-07-2007, 05:28 PM
wheres your Yamaha yoke these days steve? that was a beast.

while on the the subject of gear location.... ill hopefully be picking up a small studio mixer this summer, so ill have to grab that Roland reverb off ye, or else send someone around to poo on your doorstep

No worries, you can poo on my doorstep anytime. I never got to plug it in as i moved pretty soon after you gave it to me. The reverb unit is safe in athlone in Ger Hutchs house (ger used to live in east wall). I'm back at home now after aceing my exams.. i just got my results there for last semester 3 ****ing A1s and an A2 in the Final Year Project!!, and a couple of lowly B1s ;) . I'm taking the month off to bask in the glory. The studio i built is finished now and im setting my shit up in there atm. The RS will be up and running again dont you worry. :)

How did the EC liveset go?

MARK ANXIOUS
03-07-2007, 09:51 PM
god mate, get that drumazon. incredible old school 909 shuffle going on there for drums, been a main thing in my tracks of late... let me know how ya get on!!!

stjohn
04-07-2007, 12:18 PM
good man steve..theyre good results... myself and fran are through the the masters year too...with 2.1's but happy enough, coz some of the hardcore music stuff was tough..

liveset went well... it was sonar week...but wax filled up nicely and a load of madoutofit young ones were loving it, asking for my number half way through n all :cheese:

but yea, full house, and a good few cheers etc... with out any major problems, couldnt have asked for much more!!

whats the plans now?? look for a job in s/w developemnt or something?

278d7e64a374de26f==