PDA

View Full Version : albeton-how does it work??

basslinejunkie
12-07-2007, 10:08 AM
since ive started going out a bit more,ive seen quite a few albeton sets.but im wondering how it actually works.a surgeon set i saw in particular baffled me. the set he played was alot more loopy,there was literally a diffrent loop or bassline comming in virtually every 10-15 seconds,but he was doing it all without even touching the headphones once.how is this possible????

rhythmtech
12-07-2007, 10:14 AM
its possible because he's spent literally weeks getting it ready.

as far as i know surgeoun plays loads of differant loops.

DDR plays loops integrated with his hardware set-up.

differant people do differant things.

but the basic concept is that you look at it like a multi-channel mixing desk and on each channel you can have hundreds of loops or samples loaded but you can only play one at a time (from each channel).

most would put kicks & basslines on 1, snares & claps on 2, hats on 3 etc.

http://www.triphazard.net/contents/contentimage/livescreengrab.gif

(the little yellow arrows are the "clips" that are playing at the moment)

then you can bring in and out any combination of these channels that you like. while adding effects to them.

any clearer?

basslinejunkie
12-07-2007, 10:25 AM
yeah,cheers dude.im a massive surgeon fan,but this set was far more raw,it was individual segments of all sots of diffrent tracks,moulded into one,me and my mate were gobsmacked. isnt as easy as i assumed either,must take alot to remember what each invidual loop is!!

im thinking of going down the albeton route to be honest,the possibilites seem to be limitless,and afterall its all about the music,not what its played on.

Tyrisia
12-07-2007, 03:38 PM
im thinking of going down the albeton route to be honest,the possibilites seem to be limitless,and afterall its all about the music,not what its played on.

Exactly.

It's good to hear that people are embracing Ableton more and more, it's the future and doesn't need to be held back by people who are of the opinion that you need to beatmatch stuff to dj. It takes me about twenty to thirty seconds to get something cue'd up on the decks, you can do a whole lot more in that time with Ableton that people can actually hear.

It's the slack dj who just uses it to play full tracks that's the problem.

RDR
12-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Exactly.

It's good to hear that people are embracing Ableton more and more, it's the future and doesn't need to be held back by people who are of the opinion that you need to beatmatch stuff to dj. It takes me about twenty to thirty seconds to get something cue'd up on the decks, you can do a whole lot more in that time with Ableton that people can actually hear.

It's the slack dj who just uses it to play full tracks that's the problem.

you be a three legger there mr?

Tyrisia
12-07-2007, 08:17 PM
you be a three legger there mr?

If you're referring to my point of origin being the middle of the Irish Sea, yes I am Manx hehe..

dan the acid man
21-07-2007, 10:49 PM
there's nothing wrong with using ableton to just mix full tracks imo, sometimes that's all i want to do and hear, there's nothing wrong with listening to good tracks being played, but yeah sometimes it's nice to see/do more chopping, loops and general pissing about

basslinejunkie
22-07-2007, 01:47 AM
so is it as simple as a click of the mouse when you want to bring something else in?

Tyrisia
22-07-2007, 02:18 AM
there's nothing wrong with using ableton to just mix full tracks imo, sometimes that's all i want to do and hear, there's nothing wrong with listening to good tracks being played, but yeah sometimes it's nice to see/do more chopping, loops and general pissing about

I remember having a conversation with another forum member who was basically telling me that Ableton had got itself a bad name because people were using it to easily beatmatch and mix between full tracks, and I think he and I agreed in the end that a) Ableton should not just be limited to or pigeon-holed as a tool for emulating traditional dj-ing skills and b) it is capable of so much more with such mind-boggling ease that it really would be a shame not to, if you see what I mean.

Tyrisia
22-07-2007, 02:20 AM
so is it as simple as a click of the mouse when you want to bring something else in?

Basically, yes. Or the touch of a button if you have a controller. Oh yes and you can crossfade with a compatible controller.

RDR
22-07-2007, 10:09 AM
If you're referring to my point of origin being the middle of the Irish Sea, yes I am Manx hehe..

:cheese:

My uncle used to manage the Sefton hotel until he retired last year.

My nan lives in crosby up the hill. Been visiting the island for all of my life, i love it there but it isnt exactly techno central. Feel sorry for you. Didnt have anything to do with Manx rippers did you?

Or the record shop i saw in douglas?

Chris.

dan the acid man
22-07-2007, 02:58 PM
I remember having a conversation with another forum member who was basically telling me that Ableton had got itself a bad name because people were using it to easily beatmatch and mix between full tracks, and I think he and I agreed in the end that a) Ableton should not just be limited to or pigeon-holed as a tool for emulating traditional dj-ing skills and b) it is capable of so much more with such mind-boggling ease that it really would be a shame not to, if you see what I mean.

it's all personal choice, should be able to use what ever you want for doing what ever you want.

sometimes i just want to hear tunes being played in all their glory as the producer who wrote them intended, sometimes i want to hear some trickery and people reworking tracks, playing loops etc.

Aratron
22-07-2007, 05:49 PM
since ive started going out a bit more,ive seen quite a few albeton sets.but im wondering how it actually works.a surgeon set i saw in particular baffled me. the set he played was alot more loopy,there was literally a diffrent loop or bassline comming in virtually every 10-15 seconds,but he was doing it all without even touching the headphones once.how is this possible????

basically he may aswell may be playing a cd and you all listening to it.

pre-planned bullshit

basslinejunkie
22-07-2007, 06:02 PM
nah,sorry mate but that is bollox.i thought that untill i saw a few albeton sets from various people and soon realised theres a lot of skill involved.hence why i posed this question.

Aratron
22-07-2007, 07:22 PM
nah,sorry mate but that is bollox.i thought that untill i saw a few albeton sets from various people and soon realised theres a lot of skill involved.hence why i posed this question.

hardly. you press a button and a bunch of pre-programmed loops and routines play. whilst the abltonist tries too look like he's actually doing something whilst the music plays on - quite bizarre. like the dj out of the Buck Rodgers Movie.

Tyrisia
22-07-2007, 08:19 PM
hardly. you press a button and a bunch of pre-programmed loops and routines play. whilst the abltonist tries too look like he's actually doing something whilst the music plays on - quite bizarre. like the dj out of the Buck Rodgers Movie.

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to agreed with basslinejunkie, if you know what you're doing with the program you can mix loops together in any conceivable order, you can cut a melody sequence into smaller parts that you can loop or improvise with, you can plug a keyboard in an actually PLAY softsynths etc. You can basically do just about anything in v6, none of it has to be preprogrammed at all, if people want to play that way then that's their choice, but don't give Ableton a bad name coz of a misconception you have about how you think some performers have used it.

I do think you're talkin bollox mate, sorry.

Aratron
22-07-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to agreed with basslinejunkie, if you know what you're doing with the program you can mix loops together in any conceivable order, you can cut a melody sequence into smaller parts that you can loop or improvise with, you can plug a keyboard in an actually PLAY softsynths etc. You can basically do just about anything in v6, none of it has to be preprogrammed at all, if people want to play that way then that's their choice, but don't give Ableton a bad name coz of a misconception you have about how you think some performers have used it.

I do think you're talkin bollox mate, sorry.

its okay im just playing devils advocate.

278d7e64a374de26f==