PDA

View Full Version : Final Scratch and Traktor DJ

thoughtintruder
19-11-2003, 10:09 PM
Ok so anybody using either of these to play out? I'm just recording all my vynil onto my newly acquired laptop and i'm probably going to use traktor dj for now. Anybody have any opinions?

DJZeMig_L
20-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Not 2 play out yet but donne a few hours on it.. no probs ... :)

there is a new update available 1.1.4... :)

Mind u Traktor DJ has a few more feat.s than FS Traktor.

Z

dan the acid man
20-11-2003, 08:27 PM
i,ve played about on final scratch and enjoyed it, but i can see it being a pain to set it all up

thoughtintruder
20-11-2003, 10:49 PM
to be honest i don't see myself ever going with final scratch. you end up just adding more problems and reasons for something to fail. traktor is perfect i think. just hook it up with a midi controller box with faders and knobs and there you go.

DJZeMig_L
20-11-2003, 11:40 PM
I guess U have missed the all point of using FS ... being able 2 use yer decks just like u have freshly pressed a whitey! ;)

If u can go with out the decks then obviously u won't need a FS at all m8!

There is a new controller 2 b released by evolution that will interact directly with traktor and another for Ableton Live!

Z

Dustin Zahn
21-11-2003, 12:18 AM
Final Scratch is awesome. I don't own it but I make my friends let me use theirs sometimes.

Jimfish
21-11-2003, 12:25 AM
hey ZM, will this ableton live controller have any kind of little kayboard built in? im just about to by a new controller (sold me oxygen).. and im going to be using ableton a lot next year. should i wait for this new ting?

DJZeMig_L
21-11-2003, 02:49 AM
Not much info at the moment but here's what I have...

Check it out
http://www.evolution.co.uk/support/live.htm

Also 4 the djing thing...

http://www.evolution.co.uk/company/news_x_session.htm

Check this new yamaha babey.. although not exactly the same sort of thing!!

01x...

http://www.01xray.com
http://www.01xray.com/01xpert/index.html

thoughtintruder
21-11-2003, 03:27 PM
I guess U have missed the all point of using FS ... being able 2 use yer decks just like u have freshly pressed a whitey! ;)

If u can go with out the decks then obviously u won't need a FS at all m8!

There is a new controller 2 b released by evolution that will interact directly with traktor and another for Ableton Live!

Z

haha yea...

My point was that having more hardware to deal with in FS you can have more things go wrong. I saw several people using it that had severe problems beat matching cause apparently the records had slightly warped and the comp couldn't understand what was going on.

Plus having to nudge a record back and forth is not really that big a deal to me. I still have to set things up so I could be wrong but with Traktor you can just focus more on the music and less on the nudging. plus eventually i'd love to have ableton run along traktor and insert loops and such on top of a live set.

btw any pictures of these new controllers?

thoughtintruder
21-11-2003, 03:33 PM
http://www.evolution.co.uk/products/evo_xsession.htm

just found the pics

looks sweet!! :clap:

DJZeMig_L
21-11-2003, 05:41 PM
M8 .. seems 2 me U'r not really looking at things thru the eye of a Dj. Sure We'de luv if We'd always have perfect pitch, but that's not real, u have 2 nuddge loads of times (maybe I'm a bad DJ, but I do it all the time)...

Probs... most of times people don't calibrate the weight of the needles right or the mistreat they're FS vinyl...

The new update even has a metter r the code reading quality.. so if the needle is wonky or even the vinyl, it will tell ya!! Probs u can always have .. don't really think U'll have less by using just Traktor instead of fs, in fact I do think U r prone 2 loads more... consider the fact that FS runs out of the windows enviorm. just that is a big plus 4 stability!

Z

dan the acid man
21-11-2003, 08:00 PM
final scratch running with linux instead of windows is definetely going to help in stability

thoughtintruder
21-11-2003, 10:04 PM
True you're right I guess. I do know myself that spinning with vynil you have to adjust the pitch and move the record to keep the beats matched. I think my point is more philosophical if you catch my drift. What i'm saying is why bother using records when you can do without them. What I mean is why use up valuable time worrying whether the record is at the right pitch when you can have a computer do it for you with traktor. Then you can free up that time to actually worry more about the music and the mixing! Now I just have tried the traktor demo and it seemed to work ok. the beat matching worked and I was starting to understand how the beat grids work so that the timing is perfect. I'm just getting into using the laptop for mixing so I'm unaware of how the programs are actually working.

Now what i'm wondering is how will it feel to actually mix with traktor and not vynil.

And yea hopefully they will port traktor to linux as well.

DJZeMig_L
22-11-2003, 11:19 AM
M8, automatic bpm matching is dreadfull... I tell ya the more yer ear evolve the more u aprecciate how beatmatching isn't a science but more of an art. Being able 2 do little nuddges with out it being perceivable is the name of the game, something that a pc won't b able 2 so easily!
U do have a point about use records when u can do with out.. but the thing is most of the djing survives on the "interface" bit... Traktor is quite hopeless when it comes 2 this... U can only really get 2 use propperly when they do an interface with the exact shape of 2 decks and a mixer...

that's almost what u get with FS... that's why u need 2 records.. and I mean it's just 2 records, but the best control know so far 4 the djing pourposes!!

Z

yeswehavetheright
27-11-2003, 12:54 PM
I have to say that when FS first hit the scene I was a little sceptical about it, and vowed to stay with vinyl (which I've been collecting for years and years).
But now I am seriously tempted by it - I think the possibilties for DJing with it are fantastic. And it must be robust enough if Surgeon has been using nothing else for his DJ gigs for the past year and a half - I mean he gets around a bit doesn't he?
But it's definately suited to the more Producer+DJ types who will be easily able to play their own tracks and edits yet still retain the vinyl feel - there's nothing that compares to getting on the decks and mixing 2 pieces of vinyl together (or 2 pieces of FS plastic I guess). In fact, it probably blurs the boundary between DJ & producer even further. To be able to play whatever you want (including your own remixes of tracks a la surgeon) but actually do it on "vinyl" is well cool.
I've not actually had a go with it yet but if the feel really is as good as they say (responds instantly to tiny little nudges etc) then it's got to be the way forward.
The only hassle I can see is having the time to record all my records onto the PC - what a bloody drag. I'll probably have to employ someone full time to do it.
The 3 deck thing is a bit of an issue as it means you've got to take vinyl with you anyway (which may not be a problem if the main reason you're using FS is to play your own tracks/remixes anyway). Chris Liebing's been using FS on 3 decks for quite a while now. I guess there's no proper 3 deck version as there just isn't the demand for it.

DJZeMig_L
27-11-2003, 03:32 PM
The main reason 4 not existing a 3 deck vs is down 2 the amount of processing power needed for that, It wouldn't b stable .. it would b visually confusing 2 squeeze the info of 3 decks into a tiny screen!

Z

yeswehavetheright
27-11-2003, 04:27 PM
Can't see why CPU load is an issue - processing power's easy to come by. You've got a point with the display thing though, but surely that can be sorted through design - or a by using a 17" display laptop! ;)

DJZeMig_L
27-11-2003, 07:49 PM
I'm not a pc expert but the minimum specs for such a thing would probably b at least a PIV 2.8 Ghz with 512 ram.. and that would b running dangerously close 2 the limit me thinks!!! :hmm:

Z

rca
09-12-2003, 01:20 AM
It works perfectly with 3 decks (the number of decks you use is not an issue). If you understand Linux (enough to make tweeks) and have P4/2GHz/512ram, you are fine.

DJZeMig_L
09-12-2003, 01:49 AM
waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttt tttttttttttttttt...... :love:

have u actually tryed this.... but how do u connect the 3 decks 2 the 2 deck scratch amp....!?!?!?!?!?

If there is any wait 2 do this let me know!!!! :shock:

Z

rca
11-12-2003, 01:14 AM
er, you buy 2 x converters, and hey presto, 4 dex !

DJZeMig_L
11-12-2003, 01:26 AM
The thing is they don't sell it seperately... U have 2 buy a all new FS...
Also u'd have 2 redo the all graphic interface...!?

Z

rca
11-12-2003, 01:49 AM
1. Learn about GNU/Linux. This will enable you to write more sophisticated programs with features such as multiprocessing, multi-threading, interprocess communication, and interaction with hardware devices.

2. Use this knowledge to scrap the appalling, bug infested 'BETA!' interface and a create a new (bugfree) version. (The update FS have supplied is still useless).

3. Learn simple electronics and then you'll understand the conveters interaction with the software, then you'll understand how to modify it (with bits from Maplins!).

4. Good Luck

DJZeMig_L
11-12-2003, 05:17 AM
Lol I'm not that much of a brainiac m8

I'm hopeless with welding and stuff!

By the time I'd b able 2 learn Linux and all the electronics bit we'll all b laugthing at anything remotely similar 2 a pc or FS ...

But thanks 4 the help anyways,

Z

PS - U seem 2 know yer shi*, what's yer background work wise (studio, degree or something like that?)?

rca
14-12-2003, 11:59 PM
I started taking things apart from a very early age, thats helped me along the way!

PS. I would'nt recommend doing it to a 1210 though, F**KIN nightmare!

jake
15-12-2003, 01:19 AM
the new traktor 2.5 can sync to another copy of traktor 2.5 for 4 decks but i cant figure out how to move the pitch by increments less than .4 bpm so the beat will stay matched for more than 5-10 sec. nice idea for a product and fun to use but i dunno about using it to play out. john tejada has used it in gigs around town and i heard he was better than when he uses turntables :cool:

DJZeMig_L
15-12-2003, 12:26 PM
Errr... I think the all point is 2 do it manually and not have the beats sync'ed by tracktor... btw automatic beatmatching generally sucks big time!

Z

jake
15-12-2003, 09:52 PM
its not the automatic beatmatching its the ability to adjust the pitch in .1 bpm increments or smaller.. the smallest ive gotten it to move is .4 bpm which really sucks big time.

DJZeMig_L
16-12-2003, 11:28 AM
hummm I see the prob. I haven't used it for a while but on some Cd players 2 get a better resolution u need to adjust the oitch range 4 smaller values like 6% / -6%...

dunno if that helps.. maybe in the settings or the preferences ..!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==